Thread: Start/ Finish detection

Potential Tuner

Start/ Finish detection

Using the app for circle track data logging, the track wasn't in the system so I went to the start line and used the GPS to locate the coords and save the point. Going around on a golf cart to test to make sure it works I can't get it to pick up the start line and separate the lap times. Any ideas? I thought it might be last time that I had it set at the start line at the inside wall of the track and we run at the outside wall obviously, so this time redone the start point and set it right at the wall, but it still won't pick it up. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I paid for the premium upgrade so I'd really like to get this working!! Thanks!

Most likely, the golf cart just isn't reaching the 20 MPH minimum speed needed to trigger the first lap when in auto-heading mode. That can be resolved by entering a specific heading for the track, indicating the normal direction of travel when you'll cross the start/finish line... It uses normal compass degrees, so 0 (or 360) for North, 90 for East, 180 for South, 270 for West. If the direction you want isn't exactly aligned with those, then you could mix them as needed (ie 45 for Northeast, 135 for Southeast, 225 for Southwest, 315 for Northwest).

The other thing to check would be to tap on the checkered flag icon (in that track selection screen) to view the point you had set on a satellite view map, and make sure it looks right, assuming there's good satellite imagery for your particular track. Starting with TrackAddict 3.0, it will also shade the area to show how much the current tolerance setting is covering. You might try going to the "Wide" setting, as long as there are no other nearby track segments that would get unintentionally included by that.

Potential Tuner
    Okay that fixed that issue, thanks for the help.

With that said, now my issue is getting ready the GPS to read correctly. The lap times off a stop watch is high 19s low 20s and the app is saying 45s

If the app is reporting lap times that are double what they should be, then it's evidently picking up every other lap...

My first thought with that is that the GPS signal you are getting may not be very good or consistent, so you may have better results trying different mounting positions for the phone. It really wants a clear line-of-sight to the sky, so under the front or rear windshield tends to be best, although some vehicles / tracks / conditions can remain problematic with smartphone GPS units (in which case, an external GPS add-on device tends to help, especially when mounted in a better position).