Thread: GoPro 4 Starts but Doesn't Stop

Potential Tuner

Question GoPro 4 Starts but Doesn't Stop

I connect to the WiFi on my GoPro Hero 4 Silver using my Galaxy Note 4 (using the standard Android Wi-Fi setup screen). Then I start up TrackAddict. When I tap Record in TrackAddict, the GoPro starts.

When I'm done, I tap the Setup or Sessions area, which stops TrackAddict from recording the session, but the GoPro is still recording video.

I just find it strange that TrackAddict can start the GoPro just fine, but it can't stop it.

Is this normal? What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

That shouldn't be normal... The command used to start recording is almost identical to the one used to stop it, so it should be pretty solid. I'd suspect that it just wasn't able to send the initial command to stop it. I do sometimes see the WiFi link come and go over the course of a session with many cameras, but that's normally not cause for much concern.

If you go back to the Setup screen for a few seconds, you can see the "ExtCam" status icon again, which should then be green to indicate that it is connected and not recording. If it's blue, it indicates that it's still recording, so just give it a few seconds to correct that. If it's yellow or red, then it lost communication with the camera, which could mean that your device disconnected from its WiFi network. Going directly to the Sessions screen should normally also stop the recording, but wont keep monitoring and retrying like the Setup screen will.

Potential Tuner
    I never actually get a solid ExtCam icon. It blinks between ExtCam and the red X. That being said, it still STARTS the GoPro just fine, even though the icon is blinking like that. I'm not sure what's going on. Like I said before, I'm using a GoPro Hero 4 Silver.

Luckily starting is more important to me than stopping, but I would love for this issue to be resolved.

It's odd that the icon would be flashing the red X... That usually means we can't talk to it at all, but in this case it would seem to mean that it's not giving us status info. Something to try would be to update to GoPro's latest firmware, if you haven't already done so: http://gopro.com/update/hero4 I believe some of the earliest firmware versions on the HERO 4's had done things a little differently.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sidepocket View Post
    I never actually get a solid ExtCam icon. It blinks between ExtCam and the red X. That being said, it still STARTS the GoPro just fine, even though the icon is blinking like that. I'm not sure what's going on. Like I said before, I'm using a GoPro Hero 4 Silver.
    I have the same problem. I am using an LG G3. Are you looking for a particular network name, or just whichever network the phone is connected to?

Potential Tuner

GoPro Hero 4 Silver, Track Addict Pro, Iphone 5s

Quote Originally Posted by SeacoasTTer View Post
    I have the same problem. I am using an LG G3. Are you looking for a particular network name, or just whichever network the phone is connected to?

Hi,
    I have exactly the same issue still. The connection indicator in TA flashes a red X and a yellow Extcam. When I begin a segment by hitting the Record tab, the GoPro starts, but does not stop automatically. Therefore, I can't put the GoPro where I want to since it won't stop and I can't get out between every run. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Russ

I've been keeping an eye on this issue and collecting data, and expect to have an improvement for this very soon... The newer HERO+ models are working correctly, and it looks like the HERO4 Session is as well. The problem appears to be limited to the HERO4 Silver and Black models on somewhat recent firmware versions, which work very similarly, but we're not getting status data quite the same (hence the flashing ExtCam icon).

Potential Tuner
    Hi, I have the exact same issue at the track today. Very frustrating.

I have the "Trying to connect" flashin red/yellow icon, but it will start recording once the lap starts, but it wouldnt stop.

I remember this used to work before I updated the gopro firmware recently. Please help.

GoPro 4 silver: HD4.01.03.00.00
    IPhone 6 plus, iOS 9.1

I developed and confirmed the solution for this right before the long holiday weekend, so I'll now be putting the finishing touches on this next app update and getting it out to users... iOS app updates typically take about a week to get through Apple's process, so hopefully iOS users will see it around next Monday, Dec 7th. I'm expecting Android later this week, pending some other Android-specific improvements...

Potential Tuner
    ExtCam icon now green. Looks like it will work. Will be trying it out this weekend at the track. thanks a bunch!

I'm having issues with my GoPro. It begins recording properly, and stops properly (usually), but I always get this message saying it isn't working correctly. It pops up right when it starts recording.. almost like it isn't getting some kind of confirmation from the GoPro?

Here is a screenshot

IMG_1349.jpg
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock