Thread: Negative Numbers

Potential Tuner

Negative Numbers

I'm passing negative numbers via CSV into RaceRender. I understand that RR parses everything such that it is impossible to pass text directly onto the video (PLEASE consider changing this in future). But it seems that all negative numbers are being converted to zero? I can't get the negative numbers to do anything else no matter what what display object I try to use. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    hmm...I can display negative numbers, such as RH lateral accel instead of LH. But the Range fields in the Display Object Panel needs to be set to something <0, no?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by leisurehound View Post
    hmm...I can display negative numbers, such as RH lateral accel instead of LH. But the Range fields in the Display Object Panel needs to be set to something <0, no?
    Hmm... Maybe it works with accel only since the accel data is both positive and negative. I've tried several objects. Here's an easy way to reproduce:
    1. Add a Text Data object
    2. Select the field that has both positive and negative values
    3. Change range min to -60
    4. Change range max to 60
    5. Close the object
    6. Move the timeline around. Anything negative shows up as 0.00. Anything positive shows the positive number.

I'm stumped.

This might be an issue with parsing the data file, although I haven't seen that happen before. Basically, if it doesn't recognize something, it'll be treated as either zero or it will copy the value from the previous row (in certain cases, mostly for when the field is completely blank). If you could send an example file to me at Info@RaceRender.com , I can take a look and get to the bottom of it...

Update: Thanks for sending me the data file. In this case, it was just a parsing issue because some of the channels used parenthesis notation for negative numbers. In other words, the file would have something like "(1.23)" instead of the more common "-1.23". The upcoming RaceRender 3.2.1 release will include support for both styles...