Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: help rolls transition from a tuna to a tuner

Tuner in Training
    So I got a email back from GFB. The sensitivity setting on the controller does affect how quick DC is changed to compensate for boost taper.
    Therefore if I set a peak boost of 25psi on 75 DC, it will adjust DC potentially to 100 when the boost starts tapering off.

Gain is slightly different and I quote "The Gain on the other hand does not really affect duty as such, not linearly anyway. What it does do though is it locks the solenoid shut until it reaches the boost level associated to the Gain setting. So if you’re wanting to run 20psi boost for example, and you have the Gain set to 50%, this means the solenoid will stay closed until it reaches 10psi. If you wanted to run 20psi and have a Gain of 75%, the solenoid stays shut till 15psi."

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like gfb take a very different approach to turbo smart hence the confusion yesterday

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rolls View Post
    Awesome thanks for the info. I have all the time in the world and I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I would prefer to do it "properly". Are you able to detail any pros and cons of simply adjusting injector data to get the desired AFR vs doing it via the map per airmass. Obviously time is a big one but I have plenty of that.

Something else I want to consider doing down the track is achieving a lean burn either by simulating a narrowband from my wideband at a leaner AFR or disabling it completely and running in open loop (unsure if this will run into big issues with changing weather conditions).

edit: When is closed loop boost control used?
    rolls, yes I said you can alter the SD tables to get your desired fueling but you do this after you get your injectors dialled in. As I have stated in another post the quicker method by far is to alter the Fuel base table and zero out lambda correction for spark. Altering the SD tables means you have to redo your load tables so keep the alterations small (<5% is good) to restrict this.

There is a great set of training tunes posted here:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...nado-ute-tunes

If Eric can resolve your tune issue then you will have your injector scaling, .... and that would be brilliant.

At this stage you should use your xcal to log. Improtant things it logs are knock and wastegate duty cycle which the VCM Scanner cannot do. In fact don't even bother with the VCM Scanner until it has DMRs as you will struggle to get the required information and end up inferring what is the real data which is ofter not the actual value the PCM is using (you will see this in particular with the Actual Cam angle and how this changes the SD values used).

Keep hunting on the forums as there is a lot of info on spark calculation. I tried to get this worked out and in the end I found that under load it always selects the lowest calculated value. So you might consider flattening the tables!

Advanced Tuner
    I may not ever need to do this but I want to know how if I do. Changing X and Y axis resolution.

When I change the values how to I get it to "update" the table on the right so I can use the enhanced resolution, eg increasing the number 9 to say 13?

edit: are the HPT files unencrypted hex files? Can I open them up in a hex editor and have a look or are they in a proprietary format?
    Last edited by rolls; 08-22-2015 at 02:30 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    DarrylC I have ID1000 injectors which have known data, or do you mean how they "tweaked" the scaling to get my correct fueling?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Please email me this scrambled tune, as well as your stock tune. I have heard rumors of this, but have not seen the files first hand. I will see if I can come up with a work around.
    Eric I didn't see this post for some reason as the email notifications didn't seem to come through. I've sent it to [email protected] is that your email address?

If you can get the tables to be viewable and not editable/downloadable that would still be a huge help to let me recreate my tune.

Thanks and appreciate the support

Quote Originally Posted by hiddeous View Post
    IMHO the eboost's biggest failing is that you can't set a target boost of Xpsi and min/max for deviation and let it have at it.
    Eboost is open loop only that is why. With it using a sense line going all the way through your dash it would respond too slowly to do closed loop and you would need a remote boost sensor added to it.
    Last edited by rolls; 08-22-2015 at 02:31 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Here are the two tunes, my "stock" tune and the tuned SCT tune.

Is anyone able to let me know if my stock tune is indeed stock?

2.25 read spanish oak 1024k.hpt (may be corrupted, I had to manually choose the 1024k spanish oak as the download method
    2.25 stock tune.hpt
    Last edited by rolls; 08-22-2015 at 02:31 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    "stock tune" is not stock as it has ID1000 like scaling and the second O2 sensor turned off so it has been altered. I think there is a close stock tune in the repository you got with the software disk (similar OS HACCE, different calibration G3 compared to yours J3). See "Ford 2006 BF XR6T Automatic Stock File.hpt".

Advanced Tuner
    The first tune has a checksum error. If this is the stock tune send it to HP Tuners and they may be able to fix it up. It is very important to have a stock tune, even if just to do a compare to the modded tune.

The second tune is the modded tune.

So you can revert the SCT box to stock (unmarry) and you can download the second tune and start playing. Always keep a copy of both the modded and stock tune somewhere safe so if worse comes to worse you always have a tune to fall back on.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotrana View Post
    The first tune has a checksum error. If this is the stock tune send it to HP Tuners and they may be able to fix it up. It is very important to have a stock tune, even if just to do a compare to the modded tune.

The second tune is the modded tune.

So you can revert the SCT box to stock (unmarry) and you can download the second tune and start playing. Always keep a copy of both the modded and stock tune somewhere safe so if worse comes to worse you always have a tune to fall back on.
    The first tune is my current SCT tune that is locked, the second tune is my "Revert to stock" tune which was done by another tune so explains why it isn't stock.

So looks like I could just start with the other tune that already has ID1000 scaling, it however currently runs slightly lean and has knock retard kicking in in hot weather due to too much timing.

Advanced Tuner
    Rolls, check the injector offset. It is wrong for ID1000, looks like Ford standard to me and too low for ID1000s. This will cause some/all of the lean issues you have.

Advanced Tuner
    The "stock" tune was tuned with ID1000s, it was okish other than 12:1 afr instead of 11.5 afr and boost being laggy. When you say the offset is wrong do you mean the whole tune should be off?

I will find a stock tune for a similar car and compare the base maps to create a good starting point.

Advanced Tuner
    rolls, check your fuel base table, commanded lambda up top is 0.83 which is 12.15 AFR so it is running close to commanded lambda. If you think it is lean then drop it to the lambda you want and see how it goes.
    Last edited by DarrylC; 08-22-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    [QUOTE=DarrylC;395262]rolls, Improtant things it logs are knock and wastegate duty cycle which the VCM Scanner cannot do. In fact don't even bother with the VCM Scanner until it has DMRs as you will struggle to get the required information and end up inferring what is the real data which is ofter not the actual value the PCM is using (you will see this in particular with the Actual Cam angle and how this changes the SD values used).

It's a pity VCM suite have not recognised this as being absolutely necessary which as you say "In fact don't even bother with the VCM Scanner until it has DMRs"
    Last edited by Yortt; 08-22-2015 at 07:25 PM.
    Tune with actual data not simulated data!.....Applied Road/track Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Ok so I've been reading the lasota racing manual and msot of it is stuff I already understand but it is definitely a good read. The following questions are mainly about speed density as that is the thing that is doing my head in.

To try and understand things better I've assumed two things in this scenario, wide open throttle (TPS of 50%) and no variable cam timing, eg it is locked and no other correction maps in play, eg ignoring temp etc.

This means the simplified equation is:
    fuel_injected = commanded lambda (fuel base vs rpm vs tps) * MAP at x cam degrees at y rpm * actual air pressure in inlet

This means the PCM will figure out the fuel to inject based on the air pressure * volumetric efficiency in the MAP per airmass high res table * commanded AFR

Now this brings a few questions up. What if I want to run 11:1 AFR at WOT with 18psi but I want to run 12:1 AFR at WOT with 12 psi? The main fuel base map is rpm vs TPS? Why is it not rpm vs load eg like the spark maps?

Now I'm sure I could get the result I'm after by tweaking the injector slopes or a bunch of other methods but that means making a hack tune which isn't what I want to do.

The next question is what about the cam position, how is this commanded? I'm guessing the reason the cam angle vs rpm table exists is because the different cam angles change volumetric efficiency? eg the amount of fuel required to obtain a given AFR at a given psi changes

Also can anyone answer this question about map resolution?
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...l=1#post395279
    Last edited by rolls; 08-24-2015 at 05:35 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone?

Also how do I log AFR if I use livelink instead of the VCM scanner?

Advanced Tuner
    ty, easier than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by rolls View Post
    If you can get the tables to be viewable and not editable/downloadable that would still be a huge help to let me recreate my tune.
    We are working on adding support so the software opens the files.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    That is awesome, thanks for looking into it.

What have they done to the files, just encrypted the osid? Or have they mixed up other sections as well?

Advanced Tuner
    that'll upset SCT.
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6