Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: help rolls transition from a tuna to a tuner

Tuner
    just the ability to read yours or all tunes done with xcal4?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Well i did a update on 2.25 on friday last week and could not read a X4 file on monday just gone
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    Jet, send the X4 file to Eric, he needs these files to ensure the fix is working. I think the fix is only in the latest beta.

Advanced Tuner
    Latest beta won't read my X4 tune. I actually like the option to lock my tunes though, adds mystery :-)

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah I had 1 the other day that would read but wouldn't allow writing & couldn't find the OS, took me a few hours to find out that it lined up best with HAANFHZ (was 6 bytes just before injector data that moved from O.S. to O.S.) & modified the file to HAANFHZ for OS area (doesn't need checksum) & all good.

But yeah a couple of days later after I sent it to support I got told the latest beta 2.25.2776 would open it, which it did & told me it was HAANFxx so there must be some other identifiers in the file!

Quote Originally Posted by rolls View Post
    Just FYI eric from hptuners has updated VCM suite to allow reading of scrambled OSID files that were created in XCAL4. He even went to the effort of adding this functionality over the christmas break. 3 cheers to eric for being a top bloke
    I am not responsible for making that happen. But I did ask for it.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

If anyone has files that are scrambled up and will not open, send them to support and we will make sure they open.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Yeh I agree toads, it didn't bother me at all but a customer wanted to know why a certain thing was happening on a start up. I said id have a look to see if i could confirm what I suspected but no dice
    Reading an X4 file starts up with Japanese txt where the strategy code is but then fails to read after selecting black oak

Was happy that the X4 returned the car to stock then HPT read the stock file as per normal and that's all that matters, infact it's nice to have no doubt I'm completely doing full calibrations not what some "might" assume
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    If it does read don't write it back. I did and now it says my vehicle is not licensed so I can't restore either the XCAL4 tune or my stock tune, luckily the tune is fine to drive.

Hopefully they can fix the license check issue.

rolls, please e-mail your file to support referencing this thread.

Advanced Tuner
    I've already sent it to Eric, do you want a copy also?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rolls View Post
    I've already sent it to Eric, do you want a copy also?
    Support said they can't help me and I need my ecu flashed back to stock at my cost.

Not happy, they should remove the functionality if it doesn't work.

Anyone know an Adelaide dealership who will do a reflash for cheap? Obviously my car won't run after this so I'll have to suck the stock tune out then put my id1000 tune back in that was fine with hpt

Advanced Tuner
    From what I have found out Rolls has flashed the controller with the xcal file thats been edited now with HPT & since then he can't connect to the controller anymore to make anymore changes with either software... just an update for anyone else following along!

Advanced Tuner
    O.k. working with rolls to try & figure this out, it looks like when it reads the xcal file it can't tell what the OS ID is to license so it just does it by the VIN, but with all normal files when opening it can read both VIN & OS ID & links the 2 to the license.

So if you have licensed the non XCAL file it will then ask you to pay for the XCAL file also, so I think if you just license the XCAL file it will allow you to read/write either as it has just licensed the VIN & will happily do either... I THINK

But it's a warning out there to others as it may cost 2 sets of credits if you do it the wrong way.

Advanced Tuner
    Grant, Rolls,
    I still can't see why you just didn't do a compare between your altered factory tune and the xcal tune and then a copy over all changes from the xcal to your tune tune (one click operation). This would have saved any licensing issues and you know it writes the tune OK.

Advanced Tuner
    He did try that, but he said with that done it won't rev past 3,000 so because it's a different os id I think whatever changes he made in the copy aren't compatible!

Advanced Tuner
    The X4 SCT tunes scramble the info in the VID block. X3 should be all good, but if the car has been tuned with an X4 make sure you flash back to stock and use the stock file....NOT the X4 file.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylC View Post
    Grant, Rolls,
    I still can't see why you just didn't do a compare between your altered factory tune and the xcal tune and then a copy over all changes from the xcal to your tune tune (one click operation). This would have saved any licensing issues and you know it writes the tune OK.
    Car wouldn't run, would idle at 3k and as soon as the throttle was touched the dash lights would come on and the ignition would be killed. The table names are different so I believe there are other changes that you can't see.

The issue is the new HPT software allows you to read the XCAL tune, license it, write it but it writes the scrambled OSID back (makes no sense when it could just restore it) this means if you try to write a second time the HPT device doesn't recognise the OSID and says the car is unlicensed.

They refunded me 4 credits because it doesn't work but their response was a single line email "Get Ford to reflash your ECU" which imo is pretty piss poor. If some guy on the forums is offering to help me out and actively PMing me, I don't understand why they can't help me when I've spent a lot of money on their gear, they have guys in Australia that could do what he is offering.

I also had to chase them via email since new years regarding this problem only for them to say "we aren't going to fix it at this time".

Anyway thanks again for your help Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by IH8TOADS View Post
    The X4 SCT tunes scramble the info in the VID block. X3 should be all good, but if the car has been tuned with an X4 make sure you flash back to stock and use the stock file....NOT the X4 file.
    Except HPT have since said that you can flash and license the X4 file.. except it doesn't work. If that was their official stance then fair enough, but they should have said it doesn't work if that was the case.

Advanced Tuner
    Can you screen shot and post what HPT said or where they said it would work please.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IH8TOADS View Post
    Can you screen shot and post what HPT said or where they said it would work please.
    They added the functionality in because Eric requested it. Eric then said it was possible to license the scrambled files.

Its like they half added the functionality and now can't be bothered finishing it leaving me with an untunable ECU that needs to be flashed.

edit: I don't have the messages but I believe Eric said he didn't recommend doing so, but that the software will let me do it.
    Last edited by rolls; 03-08-2016 at 05:45 PM.