Thread: Logging KR, what PID's shoud i use?

Advanced Tuner

Logging KR, what PID's shoud i use?

Spark retard (sensor) or Total knock Retard ?
    Also, I see negative numbers from time to time in the spark retard(sensor) PID, now, in GM this means timing is getting removed by that amount, from the Coyotes, this means timing is getting added to the main timing , how does this work with Chrysler products ? negative KR means timing getting removed or added ?

to correct, should I remove timing from PT base, WOT base or both ?

Thanks a lot.

For the Viper (Gen 4/5), a negative KR value means timing is being pulled. Unfortunately, I can't answer any of your other questions.
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130

Senior Tuner
    What car is this for again?

Senior Tuner
    Ah yes, 2013 Jeep right.

I log Spark Retard (sensor). It will only ever be 0 or negative. Negative means timing being pulled out by the amount of degrees shown.

If you are getting spark retard under full throttle, pull timing out of the WOT table, if under light and part throttle, take out of your PT table.

I don't take out the full amount from all areas that I see spark retard, since it has a decay rate. I usually take out half the amount spark retard from the RPM column just BEFORE and right AT the point it starts and see how the car reacts. Remember, spark retard is reactive, meaning motor is already knocking, THEN timing is getting pulled. So if you see spark retard at 4500 rpms it probably started knocking at 4200-4300 rpms.
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 08-19-2015 at 08:42 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I seem to be getting it under part throttle, what's funny is that the manual states that running anything but 87 octane it'll be a waste of time and might even reduce performance, lol, i pump 91 octane in any of my vehicles, even in the little 3.6 Jeep motor.
    JKU_KR by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

I guess i can use the fuel system status PID to know whether or not i'm in part throttle (CL - Normal) or WOT (OL - Acceleration) correct ?

Senior Tuner
    That's actually not too bad at all, almost looks like some false knock to be honest since its just about everywhere. I would just take out 1* from the entire PT table (highlight the entire table from the corner and add -1).

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks one more time 06300, in my case I think it was live KR, as I removed 1* initially from those cells, plus I did a little bit of hand smoothing around the cell edges, then took out another 1* after smoothing that out globally from the entire table, KR in the logs is gone, our 91 octane here in Southern cali is drunk piss for the most part, the WOT timing seems ok, no KR at WOT, granted, I can only do so much with this rig, since it can do almost 80 mph in 2nd gear due to gearing and tires, and I don't feel comfortable hitting that speed in a 4 door, soft top Jeep Wrangler lifted on 33's , I'm upgrading the gearing from 3.21 to 4.56's next month, and adding lockers and other goodies, I'm mostly improving drivability at this point, as it won't be a rocket by any means, maybe in a couple of years i'll upgrade the motor to an LS3, and still..,It'll be a good crawler toy that eventually will have bigger tires

Senior Tuner
    Awesome, if you aren't seeing any KR at WOT you might try to add 1-2* to the WOT table and take another log, see how it behaves. You may also want to tweak the AFR, factory commanded is a little lean, I usually like to add a 1/2 pt of AFR and add a degree of timing.

Senior Tuner
    Just checked your tune, kinda funky, your stoich is 0.0710, which is 14.08 AFR. Seems a little rich, but who am I to argue with the jeep engineers

Building on that, I would command a FA Power Enrich pretty much across the board all RPMs of 0.0125. 0.0710+0.0125 = 11.97 AFR. There are spots like above 2348 rpms where it commands 12.3-12.4:1 AFR. Perfectly safe for a non boosted non modified car, but the car will make more power with some extra timing than being leaner, IMO. Bringing it flat to 12 AFR and then adding 2* of timing should feel good. Up to you.

Advanced Tuner
    I guess the Jeep folks are using the same approach as the Ford engineers to define e10 stoich in their calibration.
    I did a calculation in excel to picture my factory PE table, i'll set all the values in the FA PE to be 0.01233 to command a 12.0afr

PE_2013_Jeep_factory by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

I'll also add 1* more to start to the last 2 high map cells ? are those typically WOT right ?
    2013_JKU_WOT by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 08-20-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Added a couple of degrees to the WOT table and she took it fine along with the 12.0 afr PE, thanks again 06300.
    jk4_7_123WOT by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

Also i'm leaving my latest tune for reference
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 08-20-2015 at 11:00 PM.