Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Cookbook, new 2011+ Tuning Book

doe's the fuel section of this tuning guide cover return fuel systems?

edit: after looking at the photos of the index of the guide, looks like it is covered under page 38.

purchasing now

Tuner in Training
    I went to purchase the pdf and it just loads the Ultimate Ford HP EFI tunning guide in pay pal.

Just email Don for clarification. [email protected]
    2012 Mustang GT with S/C
    4Runner with S/C
    Turbo/NOS Hayabusa - 320RWHP

Potential Tuner
    Hi Guys,

Noob question on tuning a 2015+ Coyote Crate engine with Control Pack. I've read through Don's book and applied his recommendations to the base tune file, dialed in the MAF, and I'm looking to move into spark/torque.

1. Don's method of making proportionate changes to each of the tables based upon tuning 1 table (OP table) seems sensible to me and I've set up my excel sheets to accomplish this goal. Yet, when I disable the rest of the MPs in the tune (except OP table) the car won't run at all. Starts, stumbles, and dies. Has anyone found a better single-table to tune spark/torque from?

2. My engine is fairly mild on modifications (CAI and LTs). Currently seeing some pedal-based surging that occurs at various pedal positions but pushing past that position seems to clear it out and the engine resumes normal power generation. What are the target places to log for this type of surging/pedal inconsistency?

Thanks!
    Austin

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutter281 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Noob question on tuning a 2015+ Coyote Crate engine with Control Pack. I've read through Don's book and applied his recommendations to the base tune file, dialed in the MAF, and I'm looking to move into spark/torque.

1. Don's method of making proportionate changes to each of the tables based upon tuning 1 table (OP table) seems sensible to me and I've set up my excel sheets to accomplish this goal. Yet, when I disable the rest of the MPs in the tune (except OP table) the car won't run at all. Starts, stumbles, and dies. Has anyone found a better single-table to tune spark/torque from?

2. My engine is fairly mild on modifications (CAI and LTs). Currently seeing some pedal-based surging that occurs at various pedal positions but pushing past that position seems to clear it out and the engine resumes normal power generation. What are the target places to log for this type of surging/pedal inconsistency?

Thanks!
    Austin
    To be honest, I got tired of messing with 28 timing tables, so I made them all the same for .95 and higher load range. I know this sounds like a hack job, but now I get the WOT timing I want no matter what mapped point I'm in, and its easy to make changes, because they are all the same.

I havn't messed much with the torque and inverse torque tables, I'm still NA

Quote Originally Posted by Plimmer View Post
    To be honest, I got tired of messing with 28 timing tables, so I made them all the same for .95 and higher load range. I know this sounds like a hack job, but now I get the WOT timing I want no matter what mapped point I'm in, and its easy to make changes, because they are all the same.

I havn't messed much with the torque and inverse torque tables, I'm still NA
    That's wrong way as in every separate table you have different cam position so different dynamic compression etc, so you should tune all tabels separate anyway. Better way is to put car into OP mode when you want and then tune one table for wot.
    Eastern and Central Europe American Muscle and Harley-Davidson tuning
    www.hd-customs.pl
    http://www.facebook.com/hdcustomspl

Potential Tuner
    Thanks caniggia. I road race/hpde the car so I fully intend to crawl through each table (spark, torque, and inverse torque included). That said you really didn't answer the question - my car won't run with just the OP table enabled. Have other 2015+ control packs found that to be the case and, if so, what table(s) should be left on to get the car running for the single table tune?

Thanks!
    Austin

Tuner
    Hi Guys,

Thanks!
    Austin

Your car wont run on just OP mode because a 2015+ from what I understand isn't allowed to go into OP mode on spark. You can turn the OP on but this only applies to Cam timing, not spark. correct me if I'm wrong. One thing I did was turned off all but 2 map, map-1 and map-22. Map-1 allows you to start and cruise drive the car and Map-22 because your WOT map for spark while your car still goes into OP mode for Cam based on throttle position.

Bill

Potential Tuner
    I could fill a book with what I have yet to understand about HDFx

Maybe someone could help explain these things to me:

- 2015+ Control Pack tune has the OP point disabled by default but, yet, the spark, torque, inverse torque, etc tables are all populated for OP. Why even populate them? Why disable OP by default?

- When I enable OP, the vehicle 'does' use OP (at least per the VCM scanner of Mapped Point Weight). By default, Mapped Point 26 is disabled. I have left it disabled and yet, VCM Scanner will still show some usage of Mapped Point 26 - in a couple of random driving points it even hit 90% usage of a supposedly disabled MP. WTF?

- You make mention that the car might go into OP on cam timing but not spark. I don't know enough to tell you you're wrong, so, assuming you're right, how on earth would someone detect if this is happening? I can only find generic Mapped Point weights which don't differentiate between spark/cam/torque usage of the tables so I have to assume that all 3 of those are using the same mapped point - or is that wrong?

Thanks!
    Austin

Senior Tuner
    I think the 2015+ coyote doesn't use the OP tables due to the IMRC. Under IMRC the table that determines per mapped point open/closed OP isn't an option. This makes sense when you think that sometimes optimum power will require the IMRC closed and sometimes it will require it open. Therefore one mapped point isn't enough to cover the true OP mode. OP does get it's own threshold, low and hi load positions, ECT. Enabling OP and utilizing it on a 2015+ may get you more WOT performance, but you may sacrifice partial throttle power in some areas doing so if the IMRC tuning is not optimized to the changes. Especially if OP is changed to come on before modes such as fuel economy or drivability. This is when you compare partial throttle positions with them open to them closed and see which makes more power. Then just blend the transition between open and closed between a set of atleast two mapped points to achieve the desired results. You get better control and results using the drivability/fuel economy IMRC load tables than the OP threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    I think the 2015+ coyote doesn't use the OP tables due to the IMRC. Under IMRC the table that determines per mapped point open/closed OP isn't an option. This makes sense when you think that sometimes optimum power will require the IMRC closed and sometimes it will require it open. Therefore one mapped point isn't enough to cover the true OP mode. OP does get it's own threshold, low and hi load positions, ECT. Enabling OP and utilizing it on a 2015+ may get you more WOT performance, but you may sacrifice partial throttle power in some areas doing so if the IMRC tuning is not optimized to the changes. Especially if OP is changed to come on before modes such as fuel economy or drivability. This is when you compare partial throttle positions with them open to them closed and see which makes more power. Then just blend the transition between open and closed between a set of atleast two mapped points to achieve the desired results. You get better control and results using the drivability/fuel economy IMRC load tables than the OP threshold.
    Damn murfie your good
    Last edited by rshoe09; 01-12-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Tuner
    I could fill a book with what I have yet to understand about HDFx

Maybe someone could help explain these things to me:

- 2015+ Control Pack tune has the OP point disabled by default but, yet, the spark, torque, inverse torque, etc tables are all populated for OP. Why even populate them? Why disable OP by default?

- When I enable OP, the vehicle 'does' use OP (at least per the VCM scanner of Mapped Point Weight). By default, Mapped Point 26 is disabled. I have left it disabled and yet, VCM Scanner will still show some usage of Mapped Point 26 - in a couple of random driving points it even hit 90% usage of a supposedly disabled MP. WTF?

- You make mention that the car might go into OP on cam timing but not spark. I don't know enough to tell you you're wrong, so, assuming you're right, how on earth would someone detect if this is happening? I can only find generic Mapped Point weights which don't differentiate between spark/cam/torque usage of the tables so I have to assume that all 3 of those are using the same mapped point - or is that wrong?

Thanks!
    Austin

Sounds like the 2015 control pack ECU allows you to go into spark OP weight map, interesting, my 2016 GT wont because I think it is locked out. If that is the case, try enabling just Map-1 and OP so you can drive the car and then log OP map per the Coyote Handbook. I am still learning my self so I am curious how this works out for you. The S550 is a bit of a pain to deal with when dealing with all of these maps and the fact there is no OP spark table for me to use, I simply shut all but 2 down and the car drives ok and log my map-22 to get data to make changes to other maps, then turn them back on and tweak. Maybe modifying each map one at a time is the best way, not sure, but my spark is perfect now so it does work.
    Last edited by R8Bill; 01-12-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Tuner
    ^^^^^^

Potential Tuner
    What is also interesting is that I see a lot of reference to MP-1 and MP-22 but i've never really even noticed my car going into either of those LOL

The car idles in MP-7.

In any case, I'm going to turn off OP for now and then run MP-7 + 1 other table (need to figure out which table controls WOT with OP disabled now) to get spark dialed in. Really appreciate the responses everyone!

Thanks,
    Austin

What is also interesting is that I see a lot of reference to MP-1 and MP-22 but i've never really even noticed my car going into either of those LOL

The car idles in MP-7.

In any case, I'm going to turn off OP for now and then run MP-7 + 1 other table (need to figure out which table controls WOT with OP disabled now) to get spark dialed in. Really appreciate the responses everyone!

Thanks,
    Austin
    on the cars I do with and with op enabled the wot spark tables generally are 20-22

Potential Tuner
    I have the FPP3 tune in my 2016 GT now and it is always 100% point 14 and the FPP1 was the same way.

Advanced Tuner
    I heard this is more based around the 11-14 cars and not much of the 15-17 cars. looking to get into self tuning and wondering where I can get the best info to read to start with the basics.

Advanced Tuner
    The MP weight depends on your cam angles, both IVO and EVC. 14-26 is your WOT, I consider those OP. I had a 16 I tuned staying on 5 of those mapped points because of the cam angles I had set. If you look at Airflow > Variable Camshaft > IVO and EVC, you'll get an idea. I gave up trying to enable the actual "OP" mapped point and just starting tuning 14-25. Mine used 14, 20, 21, 22, 25.

The cookbook is mainly based around the 11-14 coyotes. To be quite honest, The Tuning School is based around those years also. You do have to start some where. I have both and they're good for beginners. But most of the information can be found in better detail here on the forums. Either one will open your eyes a little more to get a better understanding than what you have now.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Don@LRT View Post
    We are pleased to announce our newest tuning book. . We also do not cover gimmicks such as false lopey idle tuning and 'torque' tunes.

Don LaSota
    Whats a gimmick torque tune
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ericmse570 View Post
    I have the FPP3 tune in my 2016 GT now and it is always 100% point 14 and the FPP1 was the same way.
    Theres an issue with HPT reporting MP14 100% for everything Ive been working with for the last few weeks, they just sent me a beta supposed to be mapped better. They said they biffed it on Auto Roush cars, but this one is a stick car so maybe its not just limited to them?
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere