Thread: HPT does some testing!

HPT does some testing!

Guys, a litle story....

We have all been together in some meetings for the last couple days and decided to have some fun with an 05 Malibu Classic we "aquired"

These things run the 2.2L eco engine with an A4 trans.

Well what I can say is DAMN these things are a fun little car and with the 2.2 spinning up above 7000rpm you can really have some fun, even with the A4

The change in drivability and the feel was outstanding with just a few mods to the trans cal and removal of the evil torque management, that was pulling timing back to -5deg during shifts! We went from barely rasing dust on takeoff (3 guys in car) to tire frying launches, detectable 1-2 chirp and even a 7000rpm 2-3 shift felt good

I'm a born and bred V8 guy but i have to say all three of us were impressed by the complete character change just a few tweaks made on this car. Now i can't say how much we may have shortened the life of almost every component on the vehicle... but then again i think i voided the warranty on my LS1 within a few hours of getting it home anyway

We may have a set a new record for most amount of gas used by a 2.2L in 3 hours i think. I can't wait to hear some stories of results from a few boosted eco's or see how much the LSJ improves when we release that in a few weeks!

So if you want to liven up your daily driver 4cyl A4 then this is the way to go!

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    Good to hear! I can't wait to get my hands on this software and try it out myself, when do you plan to have the 2bar support for the '00+ 2.4TC out? Have you recieved the files and had a chance to look at what's involved yet?

Advanced Tuner
    Just wait Chris, our 4 cyls will surprise you We have engines pushing over 500 HP without ANY ecu tuning Just imagine what we can do now. You can see why we were all extremely excited to get this software.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

Well, that's GREAT news for us LSJ (supercharged 2.0 Ecotec) people. The 2.2 Malibu is using the identical P12 PCM as the 2005-06 Cobalt SS/SC and the 2004-06 Saturn ION Redline. (with the exception of the TCM portion being disabled somehow for obvious reasons)

How can we help your efforts?
    Do you need more people with cables on the LSJ cars to get cals??
    If so I'll but a cable today and get you one of every model year LSJ (Cobalt SS and Redline)!!
    WopOnTour

It was an amazing car. A lot of fun to tune, and then once tuned, SO much more fun to drive.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by WopOnTour
    Well, that's GREAT news for us LSJ (supercharged 2.0 Ecotec) people. The 2.2 Malibu is using the identical P12 PCM as the 2005-06 Cobalt SS/SC and the 2004-06 Saturn ION Redline. (with the exception of the TCM portion being disabled somehow for obvious reasons)

How can we help your efforts?
    Do you need more people with cables on the LSJ cars to get cals??
    If so I'll but a cable today and get you one of every model year LSJ (Cobalt SS and Redline)!!
    WopOnTour
    This wasn't a P12 it was the same as the 04/05 Cav PCM. The P12 *is* coming very soon

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    This wasn't a P12 it was the same as the 04/05 Cav PCM. The P12 *is* coming very soon

Chris...
    Oh, that must have been the older carry-over Malibu "Classic" then if it had the P11 with only 2 connectors and J1850VPW only. I assumed you were talking about the "new" style (GMX-380) Malibu.
    Good news on the P12 though!!!
    WOT

<OOps> You DID say Classic in your original post- sorry
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 04-03-2006 at 12:58 PM.

Tuner
    I can't wait for the LSJ either!
    I got the injectors and pulley, just need to get rid of the maf offset hack.

I have an 03 Alero 2.2 A4 and when I did a "read" and it said calibration/defintion couldn't load, I emailed support the requested files. Any idea what my problem could be? I so want to get rid of the torque management crap as well.
    Last edited by zinner; 04-02-2006 at 01:15 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    They will just need to add your calibration to the software, you should have an update shortly, same thing happened to mine, and I had an update in about a day.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

Tuner
    When you guys disable the tq management do you just zero out the spark retard vs tq reduction table the engine tq mgt tab? Thats what your help file says just wanna make sure I got it right. I zero'd out the tq reduction table in the trans section and got some weird results, in drive the car would basically stall at a stop.

Last edited by zinner; 04-04-2006 at 12:36 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I zero'd out the torque reduction %age table under the trans>torque management section.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifted
    I zero'd out the torque reduction %age table under the trans>torque management section.

What kind of car do you have? Thats exactly what I did as well and the car would stall when coming to stop in drop, it would drop to like 500 rpms (normally 1000-800) and stall out.

Also in your TCC section under release TCC what is your normal/perf table all zeros?

Advanced Tuner
    Under my TPS TCC Release, yes, both tables are zero. I have a 2.4 Auto. I haven't driven the car yet after I've made some changes. I'll have to put the car back together and take it for a ride to see what it does.

Tuner
    Well it appears after putting back the stock calibration it was doing it too. I think that there might have been some issues with relearning fuel trims or something that was causing the stalls. After some driving around I think it's back to normal.

After reading the hptuner help zero'ing the torque mgt/spark retard in the engine section seems the way to go. All the tq reduction tables seem to refer back to that table for the amount of timing to pull.

I still have a LOT to learn. A whole lot

Tuner
    i can't wait until mine shows up... goodies!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pontiac Grandma 2.4L LD9 (GT30R - super special option)
    12.4@118mph, spinning and being sloppy, 432hp 424tq

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    hey shifted would you mind sharing your stock tune?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Not at all

http://www.4cyltuner.com/hptuners/2kZ24AutoStock.hpt

You will need the "beta" version (2.1.7) to open it.

-Ron

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    thanks
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Shifted,

You should have horist add your car to his Dbase and upload your tunes there.

http://www.horist.com/hptuner/