Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 CTS-V Sport, no adjustable transmission parameters

2014 CTS-V Sport, no adjustable transmission parameters

I have a scan of a 2014 V Sport (twin turbo v6) with an 8 speed transmission. I can't find any parameters that allows me to adjust the shift points, firmness (clutch fill rates etc) anywhere. I looked at a stock tune file from the repository and it's the same way. I've used VCM 2.24 and 2.25 beta (updated this morning) and have the same problem with both. Is there a know problem with tuning the transmission on these cars?

Yeah those use the Aisin 8 speed trans. I have spoken with HP Tuners about it, they have no idea or eta if they will support the TCM on them. As of a couple of months ago anyways.
    You will find the trans torque management will hold you back once you get up around 20 psi.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by veee8 View Post
    Yeah those use the Aisin 8 speed trans. I have spoken with HP Tuners about it, they have no idea or eta if they will support the TCM on them. As of a couple of months ago anyways.
    You will find the trans torque management will hold you back once you get up around 20 psi.
    Thanks for the response.

Out of curiosity, have you found it worth while to mess with the cam and/or injector timing?

Thank you.

I didn't have to change that stuff. Just added boost and torque management adjustments. Obviously checking fueling and ignition timing etc..
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

So I noticed that the ATS-V has adjustable transmission parameters for the 8 speed, does that mean we are closer to adjustability to the V-sport?

Unfortunately not.

Tuner in Training
    XTS VSport with 6T80(?) Offers adjustment to TCU.

Quote Originally Posted by normc5 View Post
    XTS VSport with 6T80(?) Offers adjustment to TCU.
    If it's a 6 speed then it's a completely different transmission. The V-sport I'm talking about has a 8 speed.

Yea just got my cts vsport read and saw no trans yet either. It shifts like crap compared to my 2013 ats 2.0t I traded in on it. I also saw trifecta is claiming they can adjust the trans for better shifting so they must be using efilive on that setup. If I have to go buy efilive just to do the trans in my new car I will be abandoning al my hp stuff as will have no choice. I have tuned around 10 cars in past 3 years using this and always had what I needed this vsport is pretty popular as it is a very affordable car with some miles on it and has great potential so would hope they add support for the Aisin 80 trans. I like everything about hp and cannot afford to keep both but its my car not someone asking me to help out so it is a must have even if I have to change to efilive to get what I want. I would think if they have it then hptuners should or would match them just to keep up with it. That or hope tunercat comes up with it then can use my buddies canbus setup and do my trans. Damn thing shuts off on shifts it is terrible and I build transmissions for a living and that 80 trans is a beefy bitch And will handle twin turbos on a v8 Lexus running same trans making 1000 hp. So really hope they get on board quick as this car isn't going away so more and more will be buying efilive to tune them.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Does anyone have the XTS tunefile that uses the 6-speed automatic?

I did talk to tunercat and that are going to support this tcm for the vsport. So now just wait on them I guess and hptuners can be at the bottom of the barrel on support for this platform that is becoming more popular due to the v being 100k and vsport only affordable option for most wanting a larger car then the atsv which runs the heavier 8l90e. The tl80 aisin is very stout and seen some nasty Lexus twin turbo setups that are running it and it stays alive with mods. Trying to find a core through my shop to look into if has any weakness that might need addressed but so far don't think any of the Lexus cars have any trans work.

2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    What's next, you going to say that lt1edit is going to support the Aisin TCM also in an effort to get hpt to support it (for the whopping 6000 or so cars that GM produced with it)? Efi already said they aren't supporting it, trifecta has their own in-house solution, and tunercat is half retired. The rest of us are willing to wait for hpt to provide a solution we can all use.

Hey if u dont own tunercat don't cry about it I do own it a lot of people that tune started with it so have owned it years and they are not close to retired they are actually getting bigger and a lot more revelant in this field. That trans is going to find its way in to more GM cars over the next few years so same tcm will become a lot more popular that is from a release we get through my work about what the transmission path will be. I happen to work for a company that builds and ships 25-75 transmissions a day and ships all over the world from out of Florida. Just like I know the GM 10 speed will be behind all GM v8 vehicles by 2020. We get notices from dealers on up coming plans. Ford will also be using it in everything for those that didn't know it was build between both companies so same trans in zl1 is in ford raptor currently. But the aisin will become the more commonly used behind 6 cylinder as having major issues with the 8l90 currently with massive failures and updates being needed that could out weigh keeping it in production. So all your atsv ct6 cadillacs for starters will most likely get the aisin next year. They don't fail they do have some high mileage valve body issues but they all do it's why most 6l80/90e fail so that's nothing new shit wears out with miles but they don't break like the 8l90e has been from an array of small issues killing dealers with warranty work.
    Besides that the dealers here can't keep vsports in stock. Soon as they come in they sell new or used who can afford a 100k ctsv.
    They told me they sold 2 of them since been out both football players here other then that they don't move too much money making the vsport the popular option that or an out dated 2014 and down ctsv with no options as compared to new cars.
    I didnt buy it so can just go fast I got it because I liked the car now I want it faster. My wife drives it most of the time but when I do I want it better more to potential. If hptuners doesn't want on board so be it at least someone is going to offer it and when there are people all over this in 2 years it will be getting into it well after many used tunercat and a single 80 bucks to license as many cars as you want and the market will be a lot less to be had.
    Hptuners has chose to develop a transmission the 8l90e which will phase out in less then two years so covering a whopping few years of a couple cars. Your about to see one of the shortest runs a company ran a particular transmission. So if wasted time there I would think you would at a minimum do the other transmission platform you bothered to start or why did you even offer the engine side of it.
    Last edited by lt1z350; 01-25-2017 at 04:54 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry, the Aisin tl80 units (and its TCM) are not going to see use in ANY more GM applications. It was a stop-gap measure because they didn't have their 8L90 ready when they brought the 3rd gen CTS to market. They'd already converted the CTS Vsport to the 8L90 by now if the car itself wasn't a sales flop, but it cost them less to keep using the Aisin until the next generation CTS comes out, if there even is one, vs reengineering the vehicle to use the 8L90. GM now has the 8L45 for the I4, V6 (Camaro, ATS, etc), the 8L90 for the TT V6 (ATS-V, CT6) and V8s.

There was also a FWD Aisin 8sp used in 2016/2017 ONLY. And that's being replaced by the 9T50. And, as you pointed out the 10L90 is debuting in the new ZL1. Where exactly in the lineup is the RWD Aisin going to fit being it has a higher torque capacity than the 8L45 and lower than the 8L90, especially given GM could (or maybe is already) make an 8L50 or 8L60 if they wanted?

I'm not hpt, so I can only speculate, but like any other relatively small business, they have to prioritize their engineering resources. They'll support the Aisin eventually, if it ever makes business sense to invest the engineering time into it. As for the engine vs trans, the CTS vsport uses the same operating system as the corvette, and, later the ats-v, so by supporting one of those vehicles, they get support for the CTS as well (at essentially no engineering cost). If it was a unique operating system to the CTS, I'd doubt there'd even be engine support at all, so be glad you have that.

Anyway, good luck with tunercat. But you certainly will need TCM flash if you want most out of that car.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    Does anyone have the XTS tunefile that uses the 6-speed automatic?
    My XTS Vsport is in the repository for your viewing.

Yes, more Aisins coming so back HPT will be working on them and be able to back engineer to give you a few controls. Along with AWD in the XTS that is one of the reasons I did not go CTS Vsport.

Thanks! I will check it out. I'm trying to see what GM did with the 6T80 to compare with the 6F55 in my SHO. It's the same transmission with slight differences (solenoids, etc...)

If the aisin ran a unique tcm I would see it to be more of an issue but it's a GM software based controller so would think the same effort and equipment to do any other tcm would apply. If they were smart they would have done it when come out and just applied 4-6 credits to purchase it and make sure the lower number covered cost as only around 6000 vehicles are using this setup currently.
    I work for a major transmission builder/supplier we ship out around 40 per day all over the world mostly in the U.S. The tl80sn doesn't fail it doesn't have issues and the 8l45/8l90e are miserable and plagued with so many issues costing GM a fortune in warranty and why the 10 speed will quickly phase out all 8l90e and from what we have been told the aisin will continue to fill the gap on the smaller engines needing the larger torque capacity as every year engines get more powerful. So as not all info we get come true we have been told they will be used more possibly till a better alternative is made. My few friends that still work at dealers say they get covered up with GM 8 speed work currently so it would make sense as the tl80 is a very capable trans. Seen mulitiple twin turbo v8 Lexus run it and hold up to 1000 whp no failures. Normally the valve body wears out with high miles same as any zf or 6r80 6l90/80 they all have valve body problems or controller issues that cause a major failure or burn up.Gm would be smart to use it and replace the 8l45 disaster but they keep using a 2.0t that blows pistons are rods and yet to update it in the camaro so who really knows. Just know what we got in tech bulitins from them at work.
    Never had an issue with tunercat other then being slower to get new stuff out it cost me so much less to use it as not buying credits every time I want to tune something. Buy a 80 dollar bin and tune as much as I want with it but I have had my stuff 15 years and kept updating it and when can bus came out I got that update as soon after they sold it and then went to a vin based model like hptuners but being grandfathered in I still get what ever comes out and pay once. They actually have a lot going on right now investing a bunch of money to close the gap on hpt and efilive so they tell me and even offer to crack any controller you want done if you send them a good core to use. That alone tells me they are 100 percent customer based on what they do and not just about $$$ and what makes sense for a company to support. Sometimes a company needs to show appreciation to its customers by not doing what makes $$$ sense but what customers ask for as they keep it going for them. From what I have been told by other tuners they have asked so many times for this and been shot down and all they had to do was support it and charge more money for it to cover cost. If it was there for 500 bucks I would pay it and sure a lot of others would too.
    My two Cadillac dealers only one of them has a new 2017 ctsv on the lot and it sits inside for 99k and they both have 2-3 new 2017 vsports on the lot so they car isn't going away so would be smart to get on top of it now. As I said the used ones are very affordable now and I would bet most buying them are people looking to mod them. I only rant in hopes they listen as some point.

The ford doesnt have as many failures as we see a ton of GM but very few ford versions of it. So for piece of mind with your sho
    Last edited by lt1z350; 03-18-2017 at 07:56 AM.

lt1z350, so the 6T80 and Ford 6F55 are pretty stout? Do you know how much power they can handle? I heard 450 whp is about the limit. I'm pushing about 400+ whp with my SHO right now (ECU shows up to 500 ft-lb). Do I just want to drain the trans fluid every 30k miles or so and keep it happy? There's a drain plug on the trans casing that I heard allows draining of 5 qt or so.

Yea we never see Planet failures and rarely burnt up but when they do they can go big but it's normally a controller issue that causes it and GM is where that happens. We don't see many fords as they few differences between them seem to be better on fords. I have read about some sho having over 400whp and it living same with Buick or chevy cruise that use them. Most of what we get are behind stock engines but overall a good setup.
    As for fluid keep an eye on it when gets dark change it. Most of the problems come when people change it when a problem has occurred and they think it's going to fix it. The high detergents in atf washes all the shit into the filter and clogs it. So when it starts to get dark if you keep it clean you keep the crap from building up. If hard on the car and drive aggressively often check it every other oil change. Just keep an eye on it. Color and smell and if notice anything weird with how it drives stay on top of it. That's when they have issues people keep driving knowing it seems not right then that big failure happens. If you can turn off adaptive learning do it and tune it for feel I haven't looked at one to know but that way it keeps pressures steady so know when something weird is going on and will know it isn't you drive it easy all week they jumped into and slipped due to easy driving lowered pressures. Adaptive is good for stock in tuned cars so learns up for engine power but bad when I tune it up and drive it easy it can pull it back.