Thread: P0300 and P1101 Problems

Potential Tuner

P0300 and P1101 Problems

Hi guys i am having a problem with some codes popping P0300 and P1101 during some nitrous runs (usually around 4th gear). This Happens on my 2015 C7 Z06 A8 and also my friends 2016 Z06 A8. These Codes on pop up on a bigger Nitrous hit (150 Hp) Any ideas? I know that it has to do with the MAF (p1101). Also the 2 codes always pop up together. Both cares have 18% Pulley and Basic Boltons with the NX Spray Bar lid and independent fuel system running c16. Any Ideas to help troubleshoot would be great.

Thanks,

Max Coberly

Tuner in Training
    The DTC says the 1100 indicates that during the self diagnostic test the result returned was out of range. My guess is with the nitrous and the pulley you have exceeded the range of the MAF calibration in the stock tune.

This number could be 11,100hz or 14,500hz I am not sure.
    11,100hz is the max shown in the MAF calibration.
    14,500hz is the trigger for the "MAF failed high" DTC.
    I imagine you are above 11,100hz but not past 14,500hz since you didn't mention "MAF failed high" ?

I haven't had to deal with this but I am sure if you do a search for exceeding MAF range you should find something on expanding the range of the MAF in the tune. Plenty of folks here have had to do this I am sure.

The P0300 is a random misfire. This could mean a plug or several plugs are blowing out under boost. You may have to reduce the gap in your plugs slightly. The pulley and the Nitrous increase your cylinder pressure making it harder for the spark to jump the gap.

If this is the case this may also cause the P1101. So I would solve the misfire issue first then see if the P1101 is still an issue. My guess is you have 2 unrelated issues and will have to solve both of the above.

Tuner
    If you want to get more out of your MAF sensor then stick it in a bigger tube. You will then have to retune it!

Potential Tuner
    We are using a Halltech Stinger CAI the MAF goes in that tube. The code is just P1101 it does not have any other code associated like failed high or low. ON the Data logs the Highest Hz i am seeing around 9600Hz.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoberly View Post
    We are using a Halltech Stinger CAI the MAF goes in that tube. The code is just P1101 it does not have any other code associated like failed high or low. ON the Data logs the Highest Hz i am seeing around 9600Hz.
    I would say this may be a problem.
    I checked a few of my logs (C7 Z06 M7 with Halltech) and I surpass 9600hz at about 5500 rpm at WOT. So I am fairly sure with a pulley you should see numbers well above 9600hz. A 9600hz MAF max seems fairly low for a stock Z06 much less one running a pulley.

The DTC may be correct perhaps the MAF is going bad. But I find this hard to believe.

My first check would be the intake. Look for gaps or any place unmetered air could be getting in. Keep in mind the intake path could be collapsing under vacuum. So with the engine off or at low load you may not see any gaps or the collapsing area. Check your filter and the filter area for restrictions or trash. this can cause this DTC as well.

Let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by viper139 View Post
    I would say this may be a problem.
    I checked a few of my logs (C7 Z06 M7 with Halltech) and I surpass 9600hz at about 5500 rpm at WOT. So I am fairly sure with a pulley you should see numbers well above 9600hz. A 9600hz MAF max seems fairly low for a stock Z06 much less one running a pulley.

The DTC may be correct perhaps the MAF is going bad. But I find this hard to believe.

My first check would be the intake. Look for gaps or any place unmetered air could be getting in. Keep in mind the intake path could be collapsing under vacuum. So with the engine off or at low load you may not see any gaps or the collapsing area. Check your filter and the filter area for restrictions or trash. this can cause this DTC as well.

Let us know what you find.
    True this, but you stated this happens during a Nitrous pull...leaks under pressure, check any lines that get boost and idling spray something around the blower and see if it affects how it's running at idle. May have a bad blower/head seal. Or you simply do not have all the air model tables set correctly, again handle the misfire problem first.

Potential Tuner
    I forgot to mention to you i am in Denver Colorado so that airflow will not be even close to Sealevel numbers

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bee View Post
    True this, but you stated this happens during a Nitrous pull...leaks under pressure, check any lines that get boost and idling spray something around the blower and see if it affects how it's running at idle. May have a bad blower/head seal. Or you simply do not have all the air model tables set correctly, again handle the misfire problem first.
    Appreciate it we will do this !

Potential Tuner
    Ryan_Log_Nitrous_1022_Run5.hpl

I attached a log on a nitrous run. We are using a Lingenfelter LNC-2014 to take out 4 degrees of timing

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoberly View Post
    Ryan_Log_Nitrous_1022_Run5.hpl

I attached a log on a nitrous run. We are using a Lingenfelter LNC-2014 to take out 4 degrees of timing
    According to this log you are only producing about 4.5 psi of boost maximum.
    This would/will set the P1101.

I know you are in Denver but I don't recall the max boost for stock Z06's being below 9ish in the Denver area. Your baro pressure is at 11.9. At sea level you would be at about 14.7ish. So a difference of about 2.8 psi for your altitude. Or said another way you should be seeing at least 7psi on a stock Z06. You have a pulley so you should see at at least 9psi minimum worst case.

Now the question is why are you being limited to 4.5 psi boost? Is it electronically driven by the PCM because it thinks something is wrong? Or is there a physical problem? Is there a a leak around the manifold as suggested above? In my opinion it isnt likely but it is possible.

I recommend you check that your relief valve is working properly. First look at the vacuum lines that go to the relieve valve actuator canister on the front of the supercharger. Also check the actuator for freedom of movement. If nothing is found here then you can assume the low boost is being commanded by the PCM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by viper139 View Post
    According to this log you are only producing about 4.5 psi of boost maximum.
    This would/will set the P1101.

I know you are in Denver but I don't recall the max boost for stock Z06's being below 9ish in the Denver area. Your baro pressure is at 11.9. At sea level you would be at about 14.7ish. So a difference of about 2.8 psi for your altitude. Or said another way you should be seeing at least 7psi on a stock Z06. You have a pulley so you should see at at least 9psi minimum worst case.

Now the question is why are you being limited to 4.5 psi boost? Is it electronically driven by the PCM because it thinks something is wrong? Or is there a physical problem? Is there a a leak around the manifold as suggested above? In my opinion it isnt likely but it is possible.

I recommend you check that your relief valve is working properly. First look at the vacuum lines that go to the relieve valve actuator canister on the front of the supercharger. Also check the actuator for freedom of movement. If nothing is found here then you can assume the low boost is being commanded by the PCM.
    Hmm ok. Thats crazy this pass was a 10.2 @ 141.

Appreciate the insight
    Last edited by mcoberly; 10-23-2017 at 10:42 PM.

It is showing 4 psi, because you are logging the wrong map sensor PID. You should delete the SAE PID, and log MAP HI Resolution.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, you are correct, I didn't think to verify which PID he was recording for MAP.
    If he is turning 10.2's @ 142 mph in the 1/4 in Denver I am pretty sure he is well over 4.5 PSI boost.

OP you can also monitor boost directly by adding the "boost/vacuum" PID to your config.
    Its found under specific parameters-Engine-airflow-boost-12 Boost/vacuum.

Back to the original issue:
    It is my opinion, with the pulley you should be over 9600hz on the MAF.
    Can you provide us a log of a run without nitrous? Even better (but not completely necessary) would be one with the corrected PIDs so we can track the correct MAP/boost.
    Looking to see where your MAF Hz are.

FYI if your MAF is off, I would be extremely careful with the nitrous until you are sure it is correct/corrected.