Thread: AutoX Question: Just want to be sure

Not A Tuner

AutoX Question: Just want to be sure

So I am all set up and ready for this weekends AutoX and I just have one last question.

When I put the app in Record mode will it stay there till the battery runs out or I change the mode ?

In other words each AutoX session consists of 3 separate runs but you sit for several minutes in the staging area between runs. All I have to do is put the App in Record, then switch it off after the last run and all 3 runs will be recorded .......... Correct ??

DH

Tuner in Training
    When I take it out in segment mode to check it out, it will continue to collect data until I tap one of the other little icons at the bottom of the screen. So, my GUESS is that it would continue logging data as you sit and wait. That being said, the file is getting bigger and bigger, and it would be easier for me to break it into individual sets of data that match the run.

I think you are asking because with a helmet on, harnessed up, and no reading glasses (I will be 68 shortly and can't see anything close w/o readers) those little bitty icons at the bottom are impossible to see, let alone accurately touch and get the app to respond in the desired manner. right?

I was going to put in a pretty please request to the developers to make the buttons at the bottom as big as the READY button, so that the end of session recording can be halted. When I am on the track at the end of a run, I have gloves on, a helmet with a lexan eye cover and strapped in tight. Sure is hard to shut the thing off.

Not A Tuner
    Yes, I don't want to mess with it after each run. It shold stop recording after crossing the finish line. And then start a new file after crossing the starting line.

DH

Tuner in Training
    are you sure it will re-start? I never thought it did on the track where the app has the circuit pre-defined. When I do a segment mode around the neighborhood, even if I repeat it, it does not stop at the end. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Sure looks simple to use, and I don't see many options in the settings.

Not A Tuner
    On my test it stopped after crossing finish line. But I didn't run the segment a second time. Well if I don't get an answer from the HP guys I will find out Saturday morning and report back.

2004 MSG A4

Appearance: Billet Plate&Sill/SS Insert/Screens/Blackout/Lowered/CCW SP500

Perfomance: 416 CI/228-232@114/AFR 225/FAST/LS2 TB/36#Injectors/Honker/RPM(IV)/Vig2400/Z06 Ti/Kooks/3.42 Gear/Hotchkis/Bilstein/Z06 Springs/Eradispeed/Hawk HP+/Trans Cooler/B&M Trans Pan/RonDavies with EOC/Nitto R2's/AMWcan/Rocker Rails/Frame Savers

Mods & Tune: A&A Corvette

??? RWHP / ??? RWTQ
    1/4 mile: mid 11's ??
    WSIR 1:37.68

Tuner in Training
    It will be curious to see if TA can define a finish at an autoX Let us know how it works.
    Nice car, BTW, Spiral Gray? You have put some cash into some really good mods. Bet it really runs.

Here's my version of Corvette fun (VIR):
    3685 (Custom).jpg

After each run, you'll want to exit the Record screen, and then return to it when you're ready to start a new run.

If you define a finish point for the course, it will automatically stop timing once you reach that point, and then 15 seconds later it will stop recording and will take you to the results screen. To start a new run, just tap the "Done" or back button, then press the "Record" button.

If you did not define a finish point for the course, or the one you had did not trigger for some reason, then the timer and recording will continue running until you tap on the "Sessions" or "Setup" button to exit Record mode. If you were to leave it in this mode for multiple runs, it would be a bit of a mess, being that the runs wont be separated from each other.

Not A Tuner
    I will have a set start and finish point.

I am disappointed that I will need to do as you describe above. Now before each run of the session I will need to remove the phone from the windshield mount, reset to record mode and remount to the windshield. PIA !!!

I hope that this could be addressed in an update. I should be able to have the app stay in record mode, restart when crossing finish line and end when crossing the finish line. It should not default to the result page until requested.

DH

Not A Tuner
    A guy was there today and he was using Harry's Lap Timer app for the first time. He said it recorded all three runs of the session without having to switch modes or do anything except leave it in record mode.

Is this true ?????????????

DH

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Howie View Post
    I will have a set start and finish point.

I am disappointed that I will need to do as you describe above. Now before each run of the session I will need to remove the phone from the windshield mount, reset to record mode and remount to the windshield. PIA !!!

I hope that this could be addressed in an update. I should be able to have the app stay in record mode, restart when crossing finish line and end when crossing the finish line. It should not default to the result page until requested.

DH

We may be able to enhance this process further in the future, but the real thing that stands out to me here is that you're needing to remove your phone from the mount in order to return it to Record mode. That is indeed a PIA that would annoy me too... I'm not quite understanding why the phone's touchscreen would not be accessible to you while it's mounted to the windshield. It only requires a couple quick taps on the screen to get it back into Record mode for your next run, so things should be much easier if you have a mount where it's practical to tap the screen a couple times in between runs (not while driving), which should be possible with most. Depending on the mounting position on the windshield, I usually just need to lean forward a bit to reach it, which can sometimes be easier before buckling into the car.

If we were to add an option where it stays on the Record screen until you manually exit from there, most cases would still need to have some sort of on-screen "restart" or "ready" button that the user would press prior to his next run, anyway... This is because the data and video recordings need to be started prior to the start of the actual timed run, so that they are all ready to go in time, and also so that it captures your full run and the last seconds leading up to it (ie staging, you getting the green flag, your launch, etc). The video can take a second or two to start, GoPro control might sometimes take more, online telemetry could take a second or two, etc. To satisfy all of that, we start recording when you put it into Record mode, and the vehicle comes to a stop (or is already stopped). Timing is then automatically started whenever you trigger that piece (either simple movement when in auto-start mode, or when crossing the start line if you have start coordinates set). The need for a "restart" or "ready" button comes in because you wouldn't want it to start additional recordings whenever you park after a run, when you move around the paddock, when you go back to grid and wait for 20 minutes, etc... That would eat battery life, make the phone run even hotter, and could really waste your recording space when video is enabled. So, either way, we're still looking at needing some simple user interaction to prepare it for another run. This option would only reduce it from the current 2 button taps down into 1 tap.

If we were to instead make it simply look for another cross of the start line and automatically start a new run based on that, that would only work when a specific start coordinate was set (that's a no-go for segment auto-start mode, or drag race mode), and comes with other significant complications: Either we'd have to keep everything recording the whole time from one run to the next (wastes battery and storage space; not practical at most autox events I've been to), or we'd use the inherently flawed approach of trying to restart everything upon crossing the start line (in which case your video misses the start of your run and all of staging, and there are other potential problems as well). I'm not seeing a great solution within those options... at least not one that solves more problems/complaints than it creates.

Not A Tuner
    Just wanted to advise anyone that was following this thread that I had my iPhone mounted backwards in the Ram mount. So the full screen of the iPhone was partially obscured by part of the Ram mount. Obviously once I mount my iphone correctly I will be able to acess the full screen and easily navigate from the Sessions screen back to the Record screen between runs during AutoX sessions.

Having the iphone mounted as I did allowed me better placement for video as the mounting swivels in that orientation allowed me to tuck the camera behind the rear view mirror. Now the mounting will necessitate a less ideal position but allow proper use of TA on the iPhone.

DH

I had the same question/issue with segment/autox use. I did not realize you need to get to RECORD mode for each run. Now that I understand that it makes sense with all that Weston explained. I do wish for bigger/better/easier buttons.

Here is how it should work (to me)

1) Set start finish
    2) 1st run approach start line, press record as you pull up to starter.
    3)Car launches, timer starts automatically as you cross gps coord.
    4)Car finishes, timer stops as you cross gps coord.
    5)15 sec later video stops automatically
    6) 2nd run approach start line, press record as you pull up to starter .....and so on.

IF that is how it works now, it's just not quite intuitive and/or the buttons are not readily available.
    We are all not 20 yr olds with sharp eyes & small hands.