Thread: What's The Best Mount?

Potential Tuner

What's The Best Mount?

Hi -

I'm running Track Addict on my Iphone 6 and love the app. After doing some research I ended buying the Ram X Mount with suction cup. I have it mounted on my windshield just under the passenger side roll cage. My problem is the video is very shaky, which hasn't been my experience with my Go Pro.

My question is, what are you guys using for a mount and are your videos nice and stable?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

I had the same experience with the RAM X-Mount with an iPhone 6... It had worked well for the iPhone 4/4s and 5/5s, but I haven't found anything that's ideal for the iPhone 6 yet. Tried a few others but still haven't found anything to beat the RAM, so I too would love to hear more user experiences on this.

On Android phones that are very similarly-sized to the iPhone 6, I have seen that the RAM X-Grip can produce good results on some phone models, but had similar or worse results (compared to the iPhone 6) on other phone models, so some of this does seem to be related to the phone model itself, apparently separate from any specific "video stabilization" feature.

Potential Tuner
    I did much research and it seems the Ram Mount is probably the best option. I felt the part that screwed to the suction cup base was the weak link so I used some Gorilla Glue and bigger screws. I haven't tried the mount yet, will give it a shot this weekend at the track. I hope it works, returning it is out of the question now! If not, I may try mounting it on the roll cage instead of the windshield to see if that makes any difference.

Tuner in Training
    I used some Garmin GPS mounts to mount my phone in my car. The garmins use an 18mm ball system Here are the photos of what i used:IMG_3135.jpg
    The first photo is the phone mounted in the car. The second is the mount, and the third shows all the possible parts. Basically i used the gray automotive double-side foam tape to secure a Garmin ball receiver to an old iPhone case. Then I made a mount and attached to a radio mounting screw behind the console bezel. You could also use a Garmin suction cup mount. I bought all the parts eBay for under $10.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner
    Nice design but I need something that will allow me to shoot video via my phone's camera.

Tuner in Training
    yes, just use the Garmin suction cup mount on your windshield and your phone will be in a perfect orientation. That is how I used to mount my phone when I used it for video. Maybe this photo will help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by k24556; 09-22-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I also have a similar problem with my iPhone 6+. I used both the X grip and the cradle mount (RAM Mount Cradle f/Apple iPhone 6 Plus) from RAM mounts. They seem be the best in the marketplace; both are sturdy, and hold very nicely, but the video quality gets to be shaky for some reason that I cannot figure out.

Looking for suggestions...

Potential Tuner
    This looks promising. I can use my Go pro roll cage mount, which should cut down on the shakiness of the RAM X Mount.

http://store.hitcase.com/hitcase-sna...6-6s-plus.html

Quote Originally Posted by Erginbi View Post
    I also have a similar problem with my iPhone 6+. I used both the X grip and the cradle mount (RAM Mount Cradle f/Apple iPhone 6 Plus) from RAM mounts. They seem be the best in the marketplace; both are sturdy, and hold very nicely, but the video quality gets to be shaky for some reason that I cannot figure out.

Looking for suggestions...

Potential Tuner
    Any updates on this guys? I have no issues with my Gopro mounted on the windshield with the RAM mount, but the iPhone 6+ camera mounted thru either X-grip or Cradle mount (both from RAM) do not seem to produce a good stable video output. And I need/want to use my iPhone as my "feedback" camera right after each session to analyze my line etc. I hate to use the TrackAddict just for the raw data. It is a great tool to do quick on track analysis.

Similar question.. Any suggestions on iPhone 6s Plus mount?
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    I was not impressed with the x grip, I just gave this one a shot and am very impressed.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-PD3U

As for getting good video, most modern phones have weird autofocus issues that makes fast moving scenes look crappy. You get try getting a shorter arm RAM attachment... The shorter the arm, the more stable the whole thing will be.

Any other thoughts on mounts? I'm probably going to order the RAM one unless anyone has any better ideas..?

This would be for an iPhone 6S Plus to record 1/2 mile racing
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

I've recently revisited this and did quite a bit of testing. I've just now posted some test footage, after simplifying it down to three options (based on performance and/or popularity): http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...est-Footage%29

I'm really liking the PanaVise Model 809 suction cup with an iStabilizer smartMount attached to it, but as usual, actual performance will depend on your particular device and conditions.

Thanks, I'll do some research on those.

The RAM mount I picked up works great for holding your phone steady enough to type on, and I've found it to be fairly adjustable, but it isn't quite steady enough to get decent video. The phone can still rotate clockwise or counter clockwise and it vibrates a bit more than my GoPro mount does, just in case anyone is interested in one.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 03-11-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Tuner
    IMO, it doesn't matter what device or what mount you use. I tried some expensive mounts and some cheap mounts, and had varying results. The important thing I found out is that you need to attach the mount to the vehicle in a solid way, using SEVERAL attachment points. That means minimizing or eliminating the long flexible arms and attaching the device to the vehicle. It also means that one big suction cup won't work! I ended up with a sturdy ProClips bracket, and added a short metal extension arm so I can elevate it to get track videos, or leaving it off for street driving/navigation. I have a flexible arm mount, but it stays in the junk box under the back seat with the charging adapters and spare batteries.
    Last edited by guitarZ; 03-30-2017 at 08:30 PM.