Thread: .Mov files not working after OS upgrade

.Mov files not working after OS upgrade

I've been having pretty good success combining GoPro .Mp4 movies with .Mov files from my big pro-sumer JVC that I mount on the harness bar (for interior shots and mic hook up out the back for some exhaust note) ... After upgrading my Mac to Mavericks 10.9.5 (plan to get to Yosemitie soon) the .Mov files are now not visible after adding them in the input files window ... Using QTime I can export to Mp4-H.264, but this either A), Takes freaking forever at full sample rate, or B) looks like complete crap at just one down-step of resolution (not worth the slightly faster export time).....

Anyone able to explain why all of a sudden the .Mov file will not appear? I've tested this a few times now, removing the files and re adding them.... same thing happens...

System is mid '12 Macbook Air, i7, 8 gb Ram (maxed out) .... Can't see how the machine (albeit with it's weak graphics card, hoping to upgrade soon) is the culprit ... also running latest version (3.2.2) of RR ......

Thanks in advance.....

Edit -- after just converting the .mov file to mp4, full res, it still looks nowhere as good as the original ... not usable --
    Last edited by DrumDudeZ06; 10-15-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: additional info

The video decoders are provided and managed by the operating system, so the most likely explanation is that the change in OS somehow lost the ability to decode the .MOV's from your JVC camera, at least in respect to the AVFoundation framework that RaceRender and many other modern Mac programs use. If there were additional codecs or other media technology installed on your system to help with your camera's .MOV format, that might not have remained operational after your OS upgrade.

QuickTime Player for Mac has additional capabilities that are generally not available for modern 64-bit software to use, so that's why it may be able to play or convert difficult video files that wont work in RaceRender or certain other software.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    The video decoders are provided and managed by the operating system, so the most likely explanation is that the change in OS somehow lost the ability to decode the .MOV's from your JVC camera, at least in respect to the AVFoundation framework that RaceRender and many other modern Mac programs use. If there were additional codecs or other media technology installed on your system to help with your camera's .MOV format, that might not have remained operational after your OS upgrade.

QuickTime Player for Mac has additional capabilities that are generally not available for modern 64-bit software to use, so that's why it may be able to play or convert difficult video files that wont work in RaceRender or certain other software.
    Thanks Weston, (for your email too) ... there seems to be a few anomalies with Quick Time when exporting, at least in Mavericks OS ... I found a work around however.... I tried the 'Export for Web' -> Desktop method (vs. straight Export), and for whatever reason, the quality of the pic remains in tact ... So for now, a work around...I'll see what happens once I upgrade the OS again......

Here's a little example of my 'production' ... the camera in question is the interior shot in upper right (albeit, overexposed :-/)

https://youtu.be/SN4v6kTbtXw