Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 mustang 6r80 wot shift points

Senior Tuner

2015 mustang 6r80 wot shift points

My goal is to get my car to shift at 7200rpms. So far I have not been able to get it to shift smoothly higher than stock. Seems like any higher and it's fighting some rev limiter and anything higher than 7k it just doesn't shift at wot. I have opened and searched every where engine,engine diag.,trans.,trans diag.,Speedo, ECT. to find rpm limiters and have raised every one I can find. Anyone with a 2015 have any luck getting the wot shifting higher?

Senior Tuner
    I finally cracked this nut tonight! after 20+ trial and error flashes I finally got my transmission to shift between 7200-7300RPM. Im uploading my tune here incase anyone is struggleing like I was and needs a reference of what to change to get the 2015 mustang auto transmission to shift very fast very hard and at 7200-7300RPM's. If I had to guess I would say there are about a dozen places with rev limiters.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Thanks for sharing that. Definitely interested in what you had to do.

Theres a hard limit somewhere. I'm having no luck finding it though on a 15 auto car.
    AAHHHHH!!!!!!

Senior Tuner
    Tramotorsports after comparing my tune, Are you still having problems?

Anyone know how to describe the TCC Map columns Unlock, Slip, Lock? Mainly what is the difference between the Slip and Lock command/column.....

It looks like it is commanding, for example, 1st gear to never Slip or Lock, which I understand....but,

2nd gear:
    Unlock - 1400 RPM
    Slip - 1589 RPM
    Lock - 14,602 RPM

5th gear:
    Unlock: 1754 RPM
    Slip: 2300 RPM
    Lock 5429 RPM

So is it commanding the TCC to stay lock at WOT in the higher gears? What is Slip?

On the GM stuff, you just tell it when to lock and unlock.....

Thanks.

Also, are we going to have descriptions of what are the Shift IDs? Under Rate Limiting in Trans, TM, there are 74 Shift IDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    Also, are we going to have descriptions of what are the Shift IDs? Under Rate Limiting in Trans, TM, there are 74 Shift IDs.
    I'm working on deciphering it.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Senior Tuner
    Here's how I see it. From unlock to slip the tcc is being applied proportionally. In the base map the convertor is mostly slipping 1-2-3. Those are acceleration gears. From slip to locked the tcc is locked. This gives better fuel mileage having the engine rpm and oss equal in the higher gears. Now if you look at the sport (S) is slip in first then lock in the rest of the gears. This would give better throttle response and smooth power delivery. This also explains why people are quicker down the strip in (D). May even be quicker by unlocking fourth.

I copied my Sport over to Base a couple days ago and it feels much better in normal driving scenarios. I could change Sport to a more unlocked map for drag purposes, I guess.

What is the Locked column for if the converter is locked starting at Slip?

Senior Tuner
    The other way to look at it would be is it is unlocked until the slip oss then starts to be applied but that means it never locks and constantly will be slipping. I don't think that would be good for fuel mileage or the tcc.

Senior Tuner
    What you did was what I was going to try when I got to use the cable again. I share it with a friend. I expected it to feel much more locked up which seems to be what you are describing.This would help me climb my neighborhood hill at a lower rpm. I was going to copy the base to the sport for drag purposes and make fourth slip like 1-2-3. I can definitely see sport working for scca or any race with corners. I have no explanation to why the locked column exist but the oss would never get to those values until very high speeds.

Senior Tuner
    I would like to know what shift id means as well. That table makes no sense at all to me. 6700 in some ids 3000 in others.... What? I set those 6700 values to 5000 and it shifted at 6k. The ?vs gear I believe the ? Is base, sport, rain/snow modes. They are all the same rpm so what ever it is doesn't matter. I have a base model so have no way of testing this guess.

exactly. if slip means it starts applying pressure until fully locked in the lock column then is it linear from slip to lock or curved?

I really prefer, always have, driving with a locked converter, except at such low speeds/RPMs that you can't move the car....but if I am steady speed or light/medium accel, I want it locked.

I guess I could try lowering the lock column into a usable RPM range and see what it does. Hopefully the transmission doesn't fall out.

Senior Tuner
    The only spot I would be worried about telling the tcc to lock would be at a dead stop. So make sure try it in a higher gear than 1st and it should be ok. Locked slipping or unlocked while moving you should only notice a difference in the change of rpms while pressing the gas pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    The only spot I would be worried about telling the tcc to lock would be at a dead stop. So make sure try it in a higher gear than 1st and it should be ok. Locked slipping or unlocked while moving you should only notice a difference in the change of rpms while pressing the gas pedal.
    yes.....I've tuned a few hundred GM vehicles, just learning some of the Ford logic now. :-)

Senior Tuner
    Ford "logic" lol

Senior Tuner
    https://youtu.be/YTmGMxmq7aw

Example of the shifts in the tune I posted.

Senior Tuner
    I wanted to share more info about what I found after playing with the transmission settings more. As far as i can tell the transmission never fully locks up but thats ok. what I think is very important when you want to make your trans mission more aggressive is matching the shift map and tcc map in the manner you want the transmission to shift. If you want smooth factory like shifts you need to keep the up shift OSS value at or above the TCC slip value of the gear it is shifting out of. for the down shift you want to keep the value at or below the unlock TCC value. going this way you can have the TCC more locked for a nice driving around feel and still have smooth shifts and no flares at low speed/RPM by keeping the values very close together. If you go the opposite way I can only describe the shifts as like driving a manual and popping the clutch harder as the values get farther in the opposite direction. this works for both up and down shift. I believe this is what torque truncation means and trys to prevent. disabling it and going in this direction can give you some very violent shifts. this is at the expense of wear and tear of course but makes the shift much much harder giving that instant rpm drop instead of the stock lazy drop. combine that shift shift pressure and adaptive and you can get very fast hard shifts after disabling torque truncation. The limit then is the tires with enough pressure.

Increasing the unlock value higher than the upshift value lets the TC slip as much as possible and gives more power delivery to the wheels. I have not tried bringing the lock value down and don't even think it is nessecary as the tc feels quite locked up as it gets oss higher above slip value. Besides removing that little gap between unlocked and slip makes the car feel like it is not getting out of its own way.

So a way to look at it is the unlock value is where the TC is fully unlocked too and the slip value is where the TCC is applied during a shift to deaccelerate the engine rpms quicker. The TCC fully locked is always high because you want that breif period of slip durring shifts for smooth comfortable shifts. If the locked value was below the slip value you would get a locked to locked shift which would be hard on clutches and very violent. In the higher gears you could probably set the locked value less than the unlocked value and the slip value a bit less than the locked value and get a manual car like feel for cruising. Accelerating though would not feel as good as stock as having no slip will make the car feel like it is lugging instead of peppy. If you look at it like this you can see why shifts feel so much firmer and faster at mid throttle and full throttle feels sluggish. Also why after accelerating in 1st and 2nd and you let off and coast the TCC stays unlocked to allow for a quick smooth gear change to 5th and 6th to use for highway cruising. also smooth downshifting at high speeds.

I have not gotten much time to playing with the ramp rate, but what I have tried only seemed to increase the amount of metal clunk sound these cars seem to have when shifting from park to D sometimes. It started happening more often and even started happening during up and down shifts. mostly down shifts. Restoring it to factory made all that go away with no noticeable lose in transmission feel.
    Last edited by murfie; 02-22-2016 at 04:31 AM.

Tuner
    Murfie,
    Thank you for sharing your findings and experiences. It's people like you who make this forum and community a better place for sharing this.