Thread: Race Render 3 Lagging

Tuner in Training

Race Render 3 Lagging

Hi guys,

After lot's of successfull video renders, and without changing anything on the setup or settings, i am experience serious lagging issues. This makes the software practically not usable...
    The laptop is a i5 with a 4gb video card and 8gb of RAM, running 64bit Win 8.1 and recently Win 10. The problems occurs in both OSs.
    The videos are always been recorder by the same GOpro2 at 1080p.

Of course i copy the videos on the hard drive before working with them, but this is not helping at all.

Any Ideas?

Thanks...

If this came about without you being aware of having made any change, then the main suspects would be other apps or processes using up your system resources, particularly memory and CPU. Although RaceRender does not install any automatic updates, other software on your system may have silently made changes that could impact your performance... Things like security and anti-virus software can potentially have a big impact on system performance. Other programs or services running (even when hidden in the background) may be consuming memory and CPU time. Even software updaters downloading and installing things in the background can bog your system down.

In Windows 10, press Control-Alt-Delete on the keyboard, choose Task Manager, click "More Details" (at the bottom), go to the "Processes" tab, and then you can click the "CPU" and "Memory" column headings to sort the list to show you which active processes are taking up the most CPU and memory resources. Clicking the "Performance" tab will also show you the total CPU and memory consumption. Without RaceRender or other programs running, I typically see a total CPU utilization of only a few percent, and the memory used should be less than 1.5 GB (of your 8 GB total). Sometimes there are some spikes in CPU when idle, but it normally shouldn't be high or sustained.

As for things you can do in RaceRender to help the situation, there are a few things you can do:
    - Try using the 64-bit version of RaceRender (this tends to be slightly faster, and is preferable on Windows 8 and 10)
    - Click the speaker icon to Mute the preview audio
    - Click the preview Settings button and make sure that the "Temporarily Reduce Quality While Seeking the Preview" checkbox is enabled
    - Click the preview Settings button and choose a smaller picture size
    - Click the preview Settings button and choose a lower (ie faster) setting for "Picture Scaling Quality"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    If this came about without you being aware of having made any change, then the main suspects would be other apps or processes using up your system resources, particularly memory and CPU. Although RaceRender does not install any automatic updates, other software on your system may have silently made changes that could impact your performance... Things like security and anti-virus software can potentially have a big impact on system performance. Other programs or services running (even when hidden in the background) may be consuming memory and CPU time. Even software updaters downloading and installing things in the background can bog your system down.

In Windows 10, press Control-Alt-Delete on the keyboard, choose Task Manager, click "More Details" (at the bottom), go to the "Processes" tab, and then you can click the "CPU" and "Memory" column headings to sort the list to show you which active processes are taking up the most CPU and memory resources. Clicking the "Performance" tab will also show you the total CPU and memory consumption. Without RaceRender or other programs running, I typically see a total CPU utilization of only a few percent, and the memory used should be less than 1.5 GB (of your 8 GB total). Sometimes there are some spikes in CPU when idle, but it normally shouldn't be high or sustained.

As for things you can do in RaceRender to help the situation, there are a few things you can do:
    - Try using the 64-bit version of RaceRender (this tends to be slightly faster, and is preferable on Windows 8 and 10)
    - Click the speaker icon to Mute the preview audio
    - Click the preview Settings button and make sure that the "Temporarily Reduce Quality While Seeking the Preview" checkbox is enabled
    - Click the preview Settings button and choose a smaller picture size
    - Click the preview Settings button and choose a lower (ie faster) setting for "Picture Scaling Quality"
    I tried all of the above, and nothing seems to work. The RAM and CPU usage is fine during idle, and when i try to preview a video with Race render, CPU climbs to around 30%, and RAM never goes over 2gb....
    A thing I noticed is that 720P videos from another camera, work fine. Any ideas? Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Guys,

I am pretty sure it's a decoder issue. If i render the video first with another software, then it plays fine in race render.
    ANy hints?
    Thanks

That very well could be due to some combination of the way your video was encoded and the decoders that are available for use on your computer... I have seen some videos encoded in such a way that they take considerably more CPU time, which can affect some decoders more than others. If you've been using this same camera and same resolution setting since before the performance problems began, then something may have changed in your video codecs installed in Windows, or even possibly with your graphics hardware or its drivers (which the codecs may utilize for hardware-accelerated decoding). This could be caused by anything from other software installing/updating codecs, to Microsoft installing an update to your codecs or graphics drivers. If you've installed other video, media player, or camera software since the problems began, that would be my most likely suspect.

An alternative approach would be to install Apple's free QuickTime 7 Player on your system, use the regular (32-bit) version of RaceRender, then go to File -> "Media Libraries..." and un-check "Media Foundation". That will cause all .MP4 / H.264 decoding to go through QuickTime, which may have different results. That's usually not the fastest or most preferential choice, but it's an effective quick fix if there's something wrong with the codecs installed in Windows.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the hint.

I have Qtime 7.7.7 but no luck.... Problem remains regardless of wich "Media Library" option i have clicked, and regardless of 32 or 64 bit version...
    Next idea?
    Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Hi Guys,
    I still have serious lagging issues. Working with the software is imposible in these conditions.
    I have updated everything 3-4 times, but there seem to be no cure for the problem.
    Any advanced ideas?
    I mean, what's the point if the software doesn't work with 1080 GoPro videos?
    Thanks