Thread: Driver/Pedal learn

Driver/Pedal learn

Hey all,

I've been working on a few of the DI motors. Customers have been fairly happy with everything so far. However, one issue I have been having is customers say that the vehicle drives great and behaves great after it has been tuned. But, slowly the throttle response seems to get worse.

I have a bone stock 2014 Sierra that I use as a daily. One of the techs at GM told me that there is a learn procedure for the pedal to help get better fuel economy. Apparently they reset this when the truck is brought in for an oil change because it gives better throttle response. Which has me wondering, is there a way to turn this learning off? From studying my truck it seems the main thing the ECU is trying to do is anticipate based on my pedal position whether or not it needs to exit DOD. As it learns my behavour it tends to stay in 4 cylinder mode longer, thus making the throttle response feel worse. I haven't noticed it as bad in a vehicle with DOD turned off but I don't usually drive them for extended periods of time when I'm tuning.

Maybe I'm crazy and there is no such thing, has anyone else had similar experiences?

Do you have Torque Shaping enabled or disabled? Otherwise, I haven't seen anything that is obviously a learning criteria.

I have tried it with both. I prefer how it drives with Torque Shaping turned off so that is how I have had it for the majority of the time.

I haven't been able to find any tables in hptuners that could potentially modify this. Doesn't mean it isn't in the ecu somewhere though! If it exists, what would be the most logical way for it to operate? Some sort of modifier table for DD?

Maybe something like spark knock learn? Who knows, maybe a bunch of ways.....

I dont think I have ever experienced this though.

Thanks for your insight Higgs! I have been playing around with it more. I tried those tables and I don't think that is exactly what causes it but could play a role. I will report back if I can find anything concrete out.

I didn't mean to look at the knock learn tables for the pedal issue, I was just thinking it might work like those tables work.....However, I don't think the pedal learns anything.

There is no learning at all in the pedal system AFAIK. You can tune it to your liking buy it stays the same
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Okay thanks for your responses.

The other possibility I have been considering is the speed at which the accelerator is pressed. I have found that it tends to be more touchy (bring power in faster) if I have been driving the vehicle aggressively. Could it be using not only the % value but also the speed at which you step on it? Something like pedal%change/time?

Don't think so....

Tuner in Training
    Is TC adapt turned off?

Quote Originally Posted by J-CUE View Post
    Is TC adapt turned off?
    Heya,

No actually, I haven't turned that off on any 6 speeds. I can't even find it in the 8 speed file yet.

What does it do?