Tuner in Training

Stall converter tuning

My setup is a 72 Chevy vega.

-stock 5.3 2004 truck
    -stock 4l80e 2008 express van
    - 3600 stall 258mm 3b circle d converter
    -4.10 rear gears
    -28" tall rear tire

I know I need to do a segment swap for the 4l80e and I have that figured out for the most part. Just need to find the same OS.

Can someone walk me through tuning for the converter (idle, lockup, downshift,upshift) I could always fine tune after but I need something safe to start with so I don't blow up my brand new converter. All I know so far is I should set minimum and maximum duty cycle to 99 and 100 I believe. Any help is greatly appreciated! This will be my first time tuning and I could use all the help I can get.

Thank you guys

Tuner in Training
    anyone? ive been doing so much searching but just cant figure it out. seems that everyone is setting shift points for 6600-7000 rpm is that ok for a stock 5.3. street/strip car.

Here is a 4L80 tune for a 28" tire, 4.10 gears, 6000 rpm shift. If the engine is stock, I wouldn't run it past 6000. You really will not gain anything with a stock cam. Start with the speedo section and copy over my numbers. I used 27" for the tire diameter because even though it is 28", it is not accurate at 28". Go thru every trans chart and copy over the info to your tune. Don't try to download the whole thing at once to your tune. DO NOT use any of my engine info in your tune!!!!!!!!!!!! Boom!
    Also , in your tune, go to Engine, Fuel, Cutoff/DFCO, Cutoff RPM vs Gear, click on Normal and make sure the rpm limit is around 6,200. You don't want it to be lower than your shift points.
    TCC lockup is in 4th gear only. You will have to adjust these shift numbers to suit your driving style, but this should help you get started.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    Here is a 4L80 tune for a 28" tire, 4.10 gears, 6000 rpm shift. If the engine is stock, I wouldn't run it past 6000. You really will not gain anything with a stock cam. Start with the speedo section and copy over my numbers. I used 27" for the tire diameter because even though it is 28", it is not accurate at 28". Go thru every trans chart and copy over the info to your tune. Don't try to download the whole thing at once to your tune. DO NOT use any of my engine info in your tune!!!!!!!!!!!! Boom!
    Also , in your tune, go to Engine, Fuel, Cutoff/DFCO, Cutoff RPM vs Gear, click on Normal and make sure the rpm limit is around 6,200. You don't want it to be lower than your shift points.
    TCC lockup is in 4th gear only. You will have to adjust these shift numbers to suit your driving style, but this should help you get started.

that's awesome. you would post this up thanks so much! just wish I could actually get the car to idle so I can put it to use.

Welcome, hope it helps. Go to the repository and look for a 5.3 stock truck tune. That should get you going with the idle.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8