Thread: Combine the video & objects overlay in RR?

Combine the video & objects overlay in RR?

On my phone (Track Addict) when I view the session the video & data are "automatically" combined.

I transferred the session to my desktop into RR and it seems they are split apart? How do I put them back together? Thanks.

They'll be in two files (data and video), but if you bring both into RaceRender, you should find that they are already synchronized and ready to go. If you use the WiFi transfer option from TrackAddict, it will even create the combined project for you. This is the same as how TrackAddict functions behind the scenes, but it's made apparent to you in RaceRender because there are more advanced and technical capabilities available there, should you wish to use them.

To create a combined output video file from this, just click the "Create Video" button, and it will produce a new video file for the given selection time, with the video+data overlays.

Hi,

I checked three boxes and brought the lap into RR. All data shows on the phone but no data shows on the rr version. I tried Create video. Please explain the steps in detail how I can make the data that shows on the phone show up in rr to create final video. Thanks!

I updated the program as prompted.

Something not working.
    Last edited by froggy47; 05-02-2016 at 01:37 PM.

The box in the upper right corner of the rr "main" screen shows two files one with a thumbnail that looks like a video and the other with a thumbnail that consists of 1100010101000001111000100 etc. I assume that is the obd2 & other data.

When I click CREATE they do not combine, all I get is the video.

Thanks.

Should I start a new thread, these recent questions are attached to an old thread?

Thanks.

I'm not quite following. Here are the steps to easily transfer a data & video session from TrackAddict into RaceRender:

1) Make sure your smartphone and computer are both connected to the same WiFi network

2) Open RaceRender, cancel out of the New Project Menu that may appear, and go to "File" -> "Receive Files Over Network / WiFi..."

3) In TrackAddict, open the session you recorded, tap the "Share" button, and select "WiFi Transfer"

4) After the scan completes, it should list your computer that's running RaceRender. Tap on it to start the transfer, or tap on "Refresh" if it doesn't show up.

5) Once complete, RaceRender will prompt you to select the data overlay template of your choice, and will then create a new project with it.

. a) If your TrackAddict session had recorded video using your smartphone's internal camera, it should now be shown in RaceRender with data on top of it, and they should be in sync.

. b) If your video instead cam from an external camera (like a GoPro, etc), you will need to bring that video file into RaceRender, and then use the Synchronization Tool to align its timing with the data file.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    I'm not quite following. Here are the steps to easily transfer a data & video session from TrackAddict into RaceRender:

1) Make sure your smartphone and computer are both connected to the same WiFi network

2) Open RaceRender, cancel out of the New Project Menu that may appear, and go to "File" -> "Receive Files Over Network / WiFi..."

3) In TrackAddict, open the session you recorded, tap the "Share" button, and select "WiFi Transfer"

4) After the scan completes, it should list your computer that's running RaceRender. Tap on it to start the transfer, or tap on "Refresh" if it doesn't show up.

5) Once complete, RaceRender will prompt you to select the data overlay template of your choice, and will then create a new project with it.

. a) If your TrackAddict session had recorded video using your smartphone's internal camera, it should now be shown in RaceRender with data on top of it, and they should be in sync.

. b) If your video instead cam from an external camera (like a GoPro, etc), you will need to bring that video file into RaceRender, and then use the Synchronization Tool to align its timing with the data file.
    I was missing STEP 5, I thought the data overlay was already set since when I viewed the session on the camera the overlay was already there. I did not know I had to "do it again" in RR.

Thanks.

One more question, at what point in all of this and where do I "fix" the gear indicator? It shows 1st gear when I am in 2nd gear. When I view the session on my phone the GEAR +1 option is in a little green box right at the point of viewing the session. I can't figure out when/where to do the same thing once I am in RR?

Last edited by froggy47; 05-03-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    On the main screen, in the upper right corner there is a list of "input files". Select/click on the data file, click the "config" button above the list. Find "Transmission Gear"... should be set to Automatic... keep going right and change the "Adjust" field up or down a couple values until it's displayed correctly. Usually for my car it requires +1, sometimes +2 for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    On the main screen, in the upper right corner there is a list of "input files". Select/click on the data file, click the "config" button above the list. Find "Transmission Gear"... should be set to Automatic... keep going right and change the "Adjust" field up or down a couple values until it's displayed correctly. Usually for my car it requires +1, sometimes +2 for some reason.
    Thanks that worked "sort of". As I move up to stage the software thinks I am in neutral? Then when I launch it (almost instantly) goes 1 and 2 then stays in 2nd (which it should as that is correct - I run the rest of the course in 2 nd.

Is there a more accurate way to show which gear I am in?

Thanks.

Also is there a way to make the g force UNDER BRAKES be red and leave to g force UNDER ACCEL at green?
    Last edited by froggy47; 05-04-2016 at 01:53 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Are you getting wheel spin off the line? I'm sure Weston will have a better explanation of how it works... but since we don't have a trans gear PID I am assuming it can only look at engine RPM and speed and make a guess. With wheelspin (rpms increase with no speed increase) it probably confuses it some... maybe if it uses rear wheel speed vs gps speed or front wheel speed (I'm not sure what it's calculated from), then it might not display this oddity. For road course use the current implementation has been flawless for me.

Yes, some, not a big burnout, but some.

Here is a link to the vid I have been playing with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_xzOgAZFRc

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    since we don't have a trans gear PID I am assuming it can only look at engine RPM and speed and make a guess. With wheelspin (rpms increase with no speed increase) it probably confuses it some... maybe if it uses rear wheel speed vs gps speed or front wheel speed (I'm not sure what it's calculated from), then it might not display this oddity. For road course use the current implementation has been flawless for me.
    That's correct. It's a gear estimation algorithm. With no standard OBD-II PID for gear number, we're left trying to figure it out ourselves... It's analyzing the relationship between Engine Speed and Vehicle Speed, as both reported by OBD-II, and then doing what it can to try to figure out the gear ratios. 1st gear is usually the hardest one... Road course use will typically be 2nd-4th, so there's very little data that gives a picture of 1st there. Drag racers usually run through 1st pretty fast, and often have complications like wheel spin, so again there's not much for a clean picture of 1st gear. Autocrossers often do the same, then stay in 2nd the whole time. These issues are also compounded in cases when there were lower OBD-II sampling speeds, which means less data points to work with... That could be due to the OBD-II interface device, the vehicle, the smartphone itself, how many channels you have selected, and so on.

This gear algorithm is something that will probably continue to be refined as time goes on, but there's definitely no perfect universal solution.

Also is there a way to make the g force UNDER BRAKES be red and leave to g force UNDER ACCEL at green?

Quote Originally Posted by froggy47 View Post
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you'd like the display of the lateral G-force text or bar graph to change color depending on the accel/decel G-force? Unfortunately, there's not a way to do that at this time, being that it would need the input from two separate data channels (most displays only take one input data channel).

An alternate option that would work is to create a dynamic background color for that lateral G-Force text display, by add another display object underneath it...

1) Press "Add" under the "Display Objects" section, select "Bar / Level" or "Bar Graph", and then click on "Brake Horizontal"

2) Go to its Display Object Properties box that will appear on the right and do the following:
    . a) Uncheck the "Back" color checkbox. This will make it transparent when you are not braking.
    . b) Uncheck the "Label" checkbox. This will hide the "BRAKE" text.
    . c) Uncheck the second red color (the darker one). This will make it be a flat solid red when braking, instead of having a gradient.
    . d) Uncheck the "High Resolution" checkbox. This is not important, but will improve rendering speed and doesn't cost us any quality in this case.

3) You should now have a plain box display with a black trim. Click and drag it to the desired position over the G-Force text display.

4) If desired, use the Properties box to change its Width. Note that to effectively change the height of a bar graph, you'll need to use the "Thickness" setting instead of "Height"

5) Now click on it in the Display Objects list, and press "Move Down" repeatedly until it is underneath your G-Force text display.

6) Finally, in is Properties box, uncheck the "Trim" checkbox to make the black border disappear.

7) Optional: You can adjust the sensitivity of this display by adjusting the "Range" setting. It's 0.149 to 0.150 G by default. If you change it, make sure the min & mix still only have 0.001 between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you'd like the display of the lateral G-force text or bar graph to change color depending on the accel/decel G-force? Unfortunately, there's not a way to do that at this time, being that it would need the input from two separate data channels (most displays only take one input data channel).

An alternate option that would work is to create a dynamic background color for that lateral G-Force text display, by add another display object underneath it...

1) Press "Add" under the "Display Objects" section, select "Bar / Level" or "Bar Graph", and then click on "Brake Horizontal"

2) Go to its Display Object Properties box that will appear on the right and do the following:
    . a) Uncheck the "Back" color checkbox. This will make it transparent when you are not braking.
    . b) Uncheck the "Label" checkbox. This will hide the "BRAKE" text.
    . c) Uncheck the second red color (the darker one). This will make it be a flat solid red when braking, instead of having a gradient.
    . d) Uncheck the "High Resolution" checkbox. This is not important, but will improve rendering speed and doesn't cost us any quality in this case.

3) You should now have a plain box display with a black trim. Click and drag it to the desired position over the G-Force text display.

4) If desired, use the Properties box to change its Width. Note that to effectively change the height of a bar graph, you'll need to use the "Thickness" setting instead of "Height"

5) Now click on it in the Display Objects list, and press "Move Down" repeatedly until it is underneath your G-Force text display.

6) Finally, in is Properties box, uncheck the "Trim" checkbox to make the black border disappear.

7) Optional: You can adjust the sensitivity of this display by adjusting the "Range" setting. It's 0.149 to 0.150 G by default. If you change it, make sure the min & mix still only have 0.001 between them.
    Thank you Weston! I am not sure that will do what I want , maybe, I do think you understand what I would like. I will try this on my next vid.