Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference between bestlap time so far and current lap

Potential Tuner

Difference between bestlap time so far and current lap

Hello HPTuners Team,

first of all i'm a big fan of the RaceRender product and i use it everytime after my trackday to share with my friens my videos with a lot of customisation like this one :

My ask is about a feature that is missing in the tool, and is the first top priority for me for a next update of the tool.

This feature is about the ability to have the time difference between the best laptime so far and the curent laptime to see if we are imporving or not the laptime.

it seems not to be very complicated becasue it's a feature that have Dashware.

Thanks for your help and i hope to see very soon this feature.

S?bastien.

Ps : i was able to do it with dashware with the same inputs (video, data)
    RR : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaq-qmtxUeg
    DW : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyRU_HJLP30

Potential Tuner
    Hello HPTuners no news ?

Hello,

Can you tell me which data system you are using? Is it supplying a time difference data channel in the CSV file that you are using with RaceRender? If so, it should be possible to visualize.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Weston for the answer

the data channel is done by a performance box and then export by the tool performance tool by racelogic and then use in RaceRender but there is not a data channel that provide the time difference to visualize it.

But with the same process and same data source when i use Dashware he is able to give me the difference time may be by calculation witth a simple difference of the current laptime and the bestlap as you can see in the 2 videos i gave you.

If you can send your data file to me at Info@RaceRender.com, I'll take a look and see what we have to work with in your case... That should give me the information needed to give a more precise answer.

Generally speaking, if the data channel is in your file, then you'd click the "Add" button in RaceRender's Display Objects section (near the middle right of the main screen), select a "Timer" visualization for it, and set the "Field" selection to use that data channel.

If there is not a time difference data channel in the file, then this type of display would need RaceRender to calculate that for you, which is not supported at this time. That's ideally something that the data system would provide; anything we may do for that in the future would be a more universal approach.

Potential Tuner
    Hello i just send you the Files.

I know that you can add a display object with a timer if you have the filed but we dont.
    You have to calculate it like dashware does.

thanks for your help.

Potential Tuner
    Hello Weston any news with my data i sent you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebull View Post
    Hello Weston any news with my data i sent you ?
    I did confirm that it contains no data for this in the file. It appears that it would need RaceRender to implement a predictive lap timing feature in order to calculate this time difference for you. That may be possible in the future, as we'll probably integrate TrackAddict's new timing core into RaceRender, but I don't have a specific ETA for that at this time...

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Weston for this answer.

It's not a predictive system because you have the bestlap time so far.
    in this betlaptime you have the position on the track and the time at each point of the track.
    So you "just" have to make the difference between the time at this point on the track with the time of the bestlaptime.

Thanks.

Potential Tuner
    no new about it Weston ?

Very disapointing for me :-(

Potential Tuner
    Hi.

I would like to ask for this Time Difference feature as well. I use an AIM Solo DL tied into my CAN bus. As far as I can tell, the AIM Solo DL does not provide any lap time differential information directly. The time difference between the current lap and the current fastest lap of the session would need to calculated by RaceRender.

To be clear----it's not predictive. This would be calculated live via known data points: comparing the gps-position/time of the current fast lap with the gps-position/time of the current lap and displaying the delta as a live +/- number.

Any thoughts on when this could be a reality?

Otherwise, I love your program. The fact that it renders videos using all 12 cores on my Mac Pro is awesome.

Here's a one lap video I made showing a gauge setup I created with RR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMKN-aPOv0I

Potential Tuner
    Hello no update on this topic ?
    I'm very disapointed and i think i will have to use Dashware to have the only feature that is missing for me in RaceRender :-(

I paid 50$ for the RR ultimate edition and only one feature is missing

Potential Tuner
    Nice vid - do you have gauges for an E46 M3?

I was able to write some code to append multiple running deltas of time (at distance) and distance (at time) to a Solo DL export. The program simply reads in your .csv and spits out a new one with 6-8 more columns. You can then use those data elements in RR.
    It creates two columns each for fast-so-far, fast-overall (forward looking), prior, and a static lap of your choosing (if desired).

Currently trying to figure out how to export segment numbers from RSA, then I would add segment differentials too.

Quote Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
    Hi.

I would like to ask for this Time Difference feature as well. I use an AIM Solo DL tied into my CAN bus. As far as I can tell, the AIM Solo DL does not provide any lap time differential information directly. The time difference between the current lap and the current fastest lap of the session would need to calculated by RaceRender.

To be clear----it's not predictive. This would be calculated live via known data points: comparing the gps-position/time of the current fast lap with the gps-position/time of the current lap and displaying the delta as a live +/- number.

Any thoughts on when this could be a reality?

Otherwise, I love your program. The fact that it renders videos using all 12 cores on my Mac Pro is awesome.

Here's a one lap video I made showing a gauge setup I created with RR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMKN-aPOv0I

Tuner in Training
    I agree that the time differential at the end of the lap would be useful, but there are canned objects that list all lap times. Support has been very active and the release schedule is fast for a niche market like this. Let's all be supportive with our comments/critiques and I think over time we'll have an amazing product.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bh3 View Post
    Nice vid - do you have gauges for an E46 M3?

I was able to write some code to append multiple running deltas of time (at distance) and distance (at time) to a Solo DL export. The program simply reads in your .csv and spits out a new one with 6-8 more columns. You can then use those data elements in RR.
    It creates two columns each for fast-so-far, fast-overall (forward looking), prior, and a static lap of your choosing (if desired).

Currently trying to figure out how to export segment numbers from RSA, then I would add segment differentials too.
    Hi.

Thanks. No, I don't have any other gauge setups. I just snapped a picture of my E90 M3 dash and built this gauge set on top of it.

I'm curious about the extra code you've written that produces extra columns of data. Can RaceRender actually use the data in those columns to make a gauge that shows the time delta in realtime?

Potential Tuner
    Yes, the program simply adds columns (6 or 8, depending on options) to your AIM export in the correct locations and writes it to a new file. Then you import the data as usual into racerender and use the new fields in a formatted text (or time format) display. I think the key part is that you minimally include the time and distance fields in the export, else there is no way to compute a distance@time and time@distance.

The program scans your laps to determine best overall, best so far, and previous for each current lap. Any laps deviating by 20% are invalidated - likely warm ups, etc. then for each .1 sec increment, the distance is determined and the time@distance is determined for the three specific laps per current lap; then the differential is computed. The whole process is inverted for distance@time to give you a distance differential as well.

PM me an export and i'll test the code on it (since I've only tested it on my own exports, I'm curious if different firmware/version of RSA will produce a different export) and send it back to you. If you want, i'll send the code too once I validate that it works.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bh3 View Post
    Yes, the program simply adds columns (6 or 8, depending on options) to your AIM export in the correct locations and writes it to a new file. Then you import the data as usual into racerender and use the new fields in a formatted text (or time format) display. I think the key part is that you minimally include the time and distance fields in the export, else there is no way to compute a distance@time and time@distance.

The program scans your laps to determine best overall, best so far, and previous for each current lap. Any laps deviating by 20% are invalidated - likely warm ups, etc. then for each .1 sec increment, the distance is determined and the time@distance is determined for the three specific laps per current lap; then the differential is computed. The whole process is inverted for distance@time to give you a distance differential as well.

PM me an export and i'll test the code on it (since I've only tested it on my own exports, I'm curious if different firmware/version of RSA will produce a different export) and send it back to you. If you want, i'll send the code too once I validate that it works.
    Hi bh3.

(I sent you a PM a few days ago. Did you get it?)

Update: RaceRender 3.5.4 now offers two new built-in Field selections to accommodate this: "(This Lap vs Best Lap)" and "(This Lap vs Cur Best Lap)" will estimate the time delta for the distance into the current lap versus that of the overall best lap, or of the best lap so far, depending on which option you choose. It will be reported as a number of seconds, with negative values indicating that you are decreasing the expected lap time (ie getting faster) and positives indicating a longer / slower expected lap. To display this as text, create a new standard Timer or Text Data display object type and set its Field selection to one of these options; alternatively, you could also use a gauge, bar graph, etc.

Ideally, the data system would provide its own time delta data that's optimized for that specific system, but many don't do this, leading some of you to ask for RaceRender to figure it out. So, this is a universal approach to estimate these lap time deltas, which aims to work across a large variety of data systems, under the expectation that each driven lap will take the same route. It is not a full predictive lap timer like you get with TrackAddict or many other data acquisition products, but rather a lighter-weight algorithm that's a simpler and more practical approach for this use case. It should appear to be more responsive than a typical predictive lap time, but can also have more fluctuations and error. Inevitably, a one-size-fits-all strategy wont be optimal for all situations or all data systems, and if you do weird things or give it bad data, you'll probably get weird results, but otherwise it does seem to work pretty well. For any text displays, you may want to reduce the display time precision to just 1 decimal place, to limit the fluctuation that can appear.

When I compare RaceRender's new "(This Lap vs Cur Best Lap)" calculation to TrackAddict's logged "Predicted vs Best Lap" data channel, which is the output of its predictive lap timer using a completely different algorithm, they do a decent job of staying pretty close together... RaceRender's calculation will appear to be much more responsive and fluctuate a bit, while TrackAddict's numbers will be more steady and accurate. If you're a TrackAddict user, you now have the option of using either method in your RaceRender projects. In either case, a good corner vs a blown corner tends to be pretty evident in the data (assuming that you did a better job there on your best lap).

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Weston that's awesome.

Potential Tuner
    Hi HPTuners team,

I am using a GO Pro Hero 5 Black Edition with Race Render 3.

When I import the MP4 file from my GoPro in RR3, it automatically detects the GPS data of the file ("This file appears to contain embedded GPS or other telemetry data. Would you like to extract the data and add it to your project?) which is great. Then I can use every time GPS/time-based fields. Nevertheless, I have issues with two of them: "This Lap vs Best Lap" and "This Lap vs Cur Best Lap". Indeed, with these two fields the time delta is only calculated at end of laps and not all along the current lap which is the interest of this function (to try to understand where you gain/where you loose). Could you please help?

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Update: RaceRender 3.5.4 now offers two new built-in Field selections to accommodate this: "(This Lap vs Best Lap)" and "(This Lap vs Cur Best Lap)" will estimate the time delta for the distance into the current lap versus that of the overall best lap, or of the best lap so far, depending on which option you choose. It will be reported as a number of seconds, with negative values indicating that you are decreasing the expected lap time (ie getting faster) and positives indicating a longer / slower expected lap. To display this as text, create a new standard Timer or Text Data display object type and set its Field selection to one of these options; alternatively, you could also use a gauge, bar graph, etc.

Ideally, the data system would provide its own time delta data that's optimized for that specific system, but many don't do this, leading some of you to ask for RaceRender to figure it out. So, this is a universal approach to estimate these lap time deltas, which aims to work across a large variety of data systems, under the expectation that each driven lap will take the same route. It is not a full predictive lap timer like you get with TrackAddict or many other data acquisition products, but rather a lighter-weight algorithm that's a simpler and more practical approach for this use case. It should appear to be more responsive than a typical predictive lap time, but can also have more fluctuations and error. Inevitably, a one-size-fits-all strategy wont be optimal for all situations or all data systems, and if you do weird things or give it bad data, you'll probably get weird results, but otherwise it does seem to work pretty well. For any text displays, you may want to reduce the display time precision to just 1 decimal place, to limit the fluctuation that can appear.

When I compare RaceRender's new "(This Lap vs Cur Best Lap)" calculation to TrackAddict's logged "Predicted vs Best Lap" data channel, which is the output of its predictive lap timer using a completely different algorithm, they do a decent job of staying pretty close together... RaceRender's calculation will appear to be much more responsive and fluctuate a bit, while TrackAddict's numbers will be more steady and accurate. If you're a TrackAddict user, you now have the option of using either method in your RaceRender projects. In either case, a good corner vs a blown corner tends to be pretty evident in the data (assuming that you did a better job there on your best lap).