Thread: Tuning TCM - Questions and Discussion

Senior Tuner

Tuning TCM - Questions and Discussion

I have been reading quite extensively on the operation of the NAG1 transmission on the valve body function and solenoids and valves, and I am starting to grasp a bit where some adjustments can be made, but need some help before I go on my way and possibly explode my transmission.

What are the two fill phases, pre shift and then fill phase 1 or in the details called fill phase 3?

I get pre shift fill, overlap, and torque phases but not sure on the second fill phase. Is this the time to pressurize the brake clutch after the drive clutch is pressurized?

Senior Tuner
    Come on somebody got to have an idea...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    hey man. would you have any links to any info on these fill and overlap phases? how the actual work so i could adjust for better transmission operation and not destroying the clutches from ignorance. any info will be appreciated!
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    i just found this video on the clutchs and brakes that are applied for each gear and which are released when going through all the gears. might be old news to you guys but it was helpful to me and hopefully it will help others. https://youtu.be/zQwN2-9mLME
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Tuner in Training
    Considering increasing pressure and reducing some overlap myself and I'm kinda lost at this point. Still not enough learned to be qualified to comment

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepwaterHemi View Post
    Considering increasing pressure and reducing some overlap myself and I'm kinda lost at this point. Still not enough learned to be qualified to comment
    i still havent gained much info in that area ,still havent touched that area. maybe someone might spill the beans.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepwaterHemi View Post
    i gathered its timing each sets of clutches for each shift to better the shifts. fill is the filling of the oncoming clutch packs just enough to minimize slip and time of shifts. but still not feeling good enough to play with those numbers.

Advanced Tuner
    first ya gotta know what is slipping more than you would like

you dont just throw line pressure at these transmissions like ya did back in the day

Tuner in Training
    i had something interesting happening to me today, been messing around with the pressure section alot lately trying to smooth my shifts after i rebuild my tranny and today i discovered something that confused the hell out of me. i raised & lowered the fill pressure, holding pressure, line pressures yet nothing seems work but i tried a different approach which made a significant change not a good one though however it might lead me to my goal. i opened the PWM Solenoid table and Pressure Control Solenoid table but instead of changing the figures in the table i decided to leave them as they are and change the figures in the BAR Axis area on both table and that resulted in making my tranny slip while driving felt as if it didnt have enough pressure in the piston to push the friction disks and have them fully engaged the wierd thing though was that i raised the numbers in the Axis yet it resulted in lower pressure so i stopped put the old file back and no more slip so next thing i will do the opposite instead of raising the figures i will lower then and see what happens hopefully it will have the opposite effect and increase the pressure

Advanced Tuner
    the pump moves a volume of oil

the volume not having anywhere to go makes pressure

isnt that table for a relief valve?

Tuner in Training
    interesting way of looking at it i guess what i thought is by increasing pressure i would be increasing it in the pistons to better engage the friction disks but what you said actually makes more sense as there are no sensors to actually measure the pressure so to increase pressure it would block some volume that it already now what the pressure would be based on stored data (i guess theoretical data not actual) anyway i will reduce the pressure hoping that it will increase the volume heading to the pistons and hope it works and if it does then it would be just a simple fine tuning the numbers to get it just right not soft nor harsh

the PCS is as per HPT is the shift pressure and line pressure solenoids
    Last edited by Leg_Twitch_7.0L; 06-17-2023 at 12:06 AM.