Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rant about 2.25 Scanner

Rant about 2.25 Scanner

Does anyone actually like this thing? 2.25 editor has its idiosyncrasies but it's similar enough to 2.24 to be fairly easy to figure out. But 2.25 scanner might as well be in Chinese to me. Even the default graphs don't work and I can't figure out how to import graphs to save my life.
    Here's an example of how well 2.25 works. I'm just trying to figure out how to enlarge the graphs and tried double clicking on the Graph tab (because one would figure there has to be a way to make the graph full page) immediately a window pops up that says 2.25 scanner has encountered a problem and it shuts down. What kind of crap is that? Does it every time.
    Evidently you can't email someone a config file with graphs and charts that function? You need to send the charts and graphs separately and then what? Why would HPT make the format so different as to make it unusable for the average person? I'm 63 years old and do not have the time or inclination to spend hours and hours figuring this out. A little help from HPT would be nice.
    Is HPT going to publish some sort of reasonably detailed tutorial on how to utilize their new software? I would hope so but I also doubt it.
    My wife would be pretty pissed if Quickbooks changed their entire format and told you to "figure it out yourself".
    You guys who grew up with computers, are computer engineers or whatever probably can't see the frustration guys like me are seeing.
    I have a 2016 Z06 with a YSi on it that I really can't do a damn thing with until I figure this out.
    How about supporting 2.24 through 2016 until we have a product that is fully functional for the consumer? That sure seems like the reasonable thing to do.
    Anyway, I'm done ranting. I'm going to have a glass of Don Julio 1942 and look at this again in the morning.
    A&A CORVETTE PERFORMANCE
    477 LAMBERT ST
    OXNARD CA 93036
    WWW.AACorvette.com

A&A CORVETTE SUPERCHARGER SYSTEMS

SUPERIOR ENGINEERING- SUPERIOR POWER
    SUPERIOR PRICING- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT

[email protected] 805- 278 4107 Toll Free- 1 888 VETTEPRO

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy@A&A View Post
    Anyway, I'm done ranting. I'm going to have a glass of Don Julio 1942 and look at this again in the morning.

Good idea. Hahaha

You do realize the 2.25 is the beta, right?

I'm around 20 years younger than you and I actually like most of the new format. I'm also glad you are willing to mess with this stuff at your age, too many people my age are scared of computers.

I also feel once complete, using the beta will be easier to share log files with people. In the past people would share logs and some parameters wouldn't appear on your side because you didn't have the same histogram settings or whatever. Now you can send them so you both see the same.

I honestly wish I could afford a new 2016 Corvette AND a supercharger but I had a choice when the C7 came out. Buy a C7, leave it stock and have fun - or buy something I could afford, have fun with AND modify. I chose the latter path, but I digress...

I know they upload a new beta daily and sometimes a few times a day depending on feedback. You may try downloading a new version to resolve your error(s). I just installed 2.25.2618 less than five minutes ago (07:52 central). I also contact support when I see something odd so they can take it back to the engineers and get it resolved or added.

I know it's Beta, and I load the latest versions quite often. The problem is that we shouldn't be forced to use beta. HPT won't to add my '16 to 2.24 so I can use it. It's not like the OS in a 16 is much different than a '15. They just won't do it. I am stuck with a product that doesn't work. Or maybe it does work. They obviously spent a lot of time developing it and know how it works. Why not spend a few hours and make a legitimate "how to" for us?
    Can't interface my wideband to it. That alone is ridiculous. Lots of guys have complained about that. I guess I'm supposed to hold the wideband in my hand and guess where it goes lean during the run. That's kind of sketchy on a 100K car with 20 # of boost.
    I'd really like to get it on my dyno and see where I am with the project.
    I'm just saying they should allow me, and other tuners with '16s to tune, to be able to use 2.24 and transition to 2.25 as we figure it out, or at least offer some help in figuring it out.
    Last edited by Andy@A&A; 11-18-2015 at 09:02 AM.
    A&A CORVETTE PERFORMANCE
    477 LAMBERT ST
    OXNARD CA 93036
    WWW.AACorvette.com

We will give you a clue, for sure. We plan to update the help files, as well as add videos on the changes, whats new, etc..

You can add your wideband in 2.25. You can also log widebands connected directly via serial ports (no voltage offsets).
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The 2.25 scanner is, and will be, more powerful/flexible than 2.24 ever could've been. 2.24 is built on old code and had its time, but there comes a point where to move forward where you might have to break free of old thinking and in this case old code. We are aware of alot of tuners that have used other scanners in favor of ours because ours wasn't customizable enough for their needs, the 2.25 scanner will fill that gap and move past it bringing us up to a speed for much bigger & better things.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    We will give you a clue, for sure. We plan to update the help files, as well as add videos on the changes, whats new, etc..

You can add your wideband in 2.25. You can also log widebands connected directly via serial ports (no voltage offsets).
    Serial port? Will this be plug and play into an existing interface?

This would be awesome because I just purchased an AFM1500 and while the voltage offset isn't an issue on this wide band, direct serial port data logging would be nice.

For the serial port logging, you plug the wideband controllers serial output directly into your PC.

I have to leave 2.25 scanner open all the time on my laptop so I don't lose all the pids that I have chosen to log. I can't save it or it'll crash.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDbetter View Post
    I have to leave 2.25 scanner open all the time on my laptop so I don't lose all the pids that I have chosen to log. I can't save it or it'll crash.
    What version are you running?

Aside from the issues that are just going to happen with a Beta, the new version is starting to grow on me. I hated it at first though so I know what you mean to some degree

I think once the bugs are worked out you'll eventually grow to like it. Hopefully anyways.

(and QB did have some pretty big updates a year or two ago that most everyone hated by the way...)
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    For the serial port logging, you plug the wideband controllers serial output directly into your PC.
    Will it be up to users to configure the serial data into HP?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LEDbetter View Post
    The "Save Layout As" function has been working just fine for me. I would like a button, though, to allow quick saves of minor layout updates.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    The new scanner definitely has a bit of a learning curve and coming to terms with the fact that it is more than just an evolution of the existing scanner. Once you get over the "newness" and start to work with it, you quickly realize how nice some of the new features are and how smooth the scanning is.
    Jaime

That's all I'm asking. I am a fair tuner but I am NOT one for figuring out how software works. I'm stuck in the middle with no way to scan my own car as well as any future customers. Updating the help files and videos is a great idea. When will some sort of instruction be available? Sooner would be a lot better than later however.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    The 2.25 scanner is, and will be, more powerful/flexible than 2.24 ever could've been. 2.24 is built on old code and had its time, but there comes a point where to move forward where you might have to break free of old thinking and in this case old code. We are aware of alot of tuners that have used other scanners in favor of ours because ours wasn't customizable enough for their needs, the 2.25 scanner will fill that gap and move past it bringing us up to a speed for much bigger & better things.
    I totally agree with that. I'll all for using 2.25. But throwing us in the deep end of the pool without any help kinda isn't fair. Let us ease into it or give us some instruction.
    Here's a question. I have a couple of channel configs that someone sent me. I also have some graphs and charts. How do you get these charts and graphs into the config so I can use them? I have them saved under documents< HP Tuners< scanner< graphs I can see them but they just open in Word or something. It's just a bunch of text. I have no idea what to do with them.
    The default graphs only populate the first horizontal row. Nothing vertical populates at all. It seems like the defaults would be configured correctly. If I could see timing and KR and then look at how to get my wideband going at least I could start tuning my Z.
    Thanks
    A&A CORVETTE PERFORMANCE
    477 LAMBERT ST
    OXNARD CA 93036
    WWW.AACorvette.com

Yeah it's a whole lot faster and handles newer / high framerate ECM's much better. Still growing on me, though I'm going to try it more that the histogram filters are fixed (or whatever they're calling them now)

Andy--here are some screenshots. Right click inside the graph or chart vs. time windows, then click on charts layout or graphs layout respectively that will be in the menu that pops up when you right click.

Then there's an "open" button in the top left of the editor that pops up. Just find the file you're wanting to use and open it up.

Also if you haven't already, make sure you're on the latest beta.. they have updated quite a bit lately.

I can also you send you my config, layout, whatever you need, if it will help.

AA Chart Layout.JPGAA Graph layout.JPG
    Last edited by schpenxel; 11-18-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Thanks. Josh is looking at it and he figured out a couple of things.
    We'll see how it goes.
    A&A CORVETTE PERFORMANCE
    477 LAMBERT ST
    OXNARD CA 93036
    WWW.AACorvette.com

Sounds good. Just let me know.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

So I got a few graphs going. The throttle position vs. speed works.
    All the others, (spark advance, retard, trims etc. run for 11 seconds and quit. Tried it several times. All the graphs quit after logging a few seconds except the throttle one. Any idea on that?
    Charts do the same thing. Run for a few seconds and quit. The numbers are still scrolling across the chart screen on the bottom, but the data quits streaming.
    Last edited by Andy@A&A; 11-18-2015 at 05:10 PM.
    A&A CORVETTE PERFORMANCE
    477 LAMBERT ST
    OXNARD CA 93036
    WWW.AACorvette.com

Advanced Tuner
    I had some weird stuff like yours happen intermittently on an earlier version along with some crashes. Too bad it's been raining all week so I can't do any road testing and see if it's fixed in the current release.