Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.5 EcoBoost Advice?

3.5 EcoBoost Advice?

Novice tuner on the 3.5L here, looking for any helpful hints on tuning them.

I have a very good amount of experience in the 5.0L Coyote, and GM GEN 3+4 LS setups, however, nothing in the 3.5L Eco with direct injection.

Any pointers on what AFR to shoot? I've heard direct injection seems to require a little leaner AFR. Also, ANY advice before I begin on how to adjust boost would be much appreciated! It appears the tables go off of Turbo Airflow, or the likes.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by 96gt4.6; 11-24-2015 at 08:02 AM.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Tuner in Training
    Yep, your not going to find anything here about 3.5 ecoboost. It's been 1 year since support has been added for this platform and .....

-Still can't scan for check engine codes
    -Doesn't contain any scanner data for transmission
    -And plenty other things.

To many platforms are being added before any prior ones are finished.

Most are just buying other tuners

Indeed, the scanner side of things has a ways to go, but the guys at HP have been pretty keen about getting us some engine parameters. Seems just like yesterday there were barely any engine parameters in there that were scannable.

Currently, I use my dealer level tool for datalogging, then make changes with HP.

I'll keep this thread updated as I progress through the Eco tuning
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    Indeed, the scanner side of things has a ways to go, but the guys at HP have been pretty keen about getting us some engine parameters. Seems just like yesterday there were barely any engine parameters in there that were scannable.

Currently, I use my dealer level tool for datalogging, then make changes with HP.

I'll keep this thread updated as I progress through the Eco tuning
    Interested in sharing any input on your tuning process of these? I haven't done any Eco's either, but have a co-worker that wants his done. Would be a good one to learn on as it doesn't have to be done in one day. I have an IDS and Verus for any dealer level logging if that is what you are getting at.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by splashgtp View Post
    Yep, your not going to find anything here about 3.5 ecoboost. It's been 1 year since support has been added for this platform and .....

-Still can't scan for check engine codes
    -Doesn't contain any scanner data for transmission
    -And plenty other things.

To many platforms are being added before any prior ones are finished.

Most are just buying other tuners
    You can check DTC codes....
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    You can check DTC codes....
    I'm going to have to have to double check. I'll probably need to send a file in. I'm updated and get a handful of codes thrown (pulled though another scanner) everything time I read a file. 2011 F-150

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrot View Post
    Interested in sharing any input on your tuning process of these? I haven't done any Eco's either, but have a co-worker that wants his done. Would be a good one to learn on as it doesn't have to be done in one day. I have an IDS and Verus for any dealer level logging if that is what you are getting at.

Thanks in advance!
    I will keep the thread updated as I progress. Yes, I use an IDS for logging purposes. It's invaluable to have all the PIDs during tuning. HP has everything I need for the Coyote's as far as engine tuning, and Eric has been a big help in getting those up to speed for us. It will only get better with time on the scanner. Seems literally just like yesterday where we could only tune the Coyote's but the scanner was HIGHLY limited and ID'd as a Silverado even, but it got us some basics. Amazing how far and much has been added even since then.

I should get under way with my '15 in the coming weeks by the looks of it, and will share my findings.
    '17 Whipple'd S550

Quote Originally Posted by splashgtp View Post
    I'm going to have to have to double check. I'll probably need to send a file in. I'm updated and get a handful of codes thrown (pulled though another scanner) everything time I read a file. 2011 F-150

Thanks
    Make sure you are using the latest BETA. Items are added to it almost daily. When tuning any Coyote/EcoBoost setup, I always download the program again before I start.
    '17 Whipple'd S550

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    I will keep the thread updated as I progress. Yes, I use an IDS for logging purposes. It's invaluable to have all the PIDs during tuning. HP has everything I need for the Coyote's as far as engine tuning, and Eric has been a big help in getting those up to speed for us. It will only get better with time on the scanner. Seems literally just like yesterday where we could only tune the Coyote's but the scanner was HIGHLY limited and ID'd as a Silverado even, but it got us some basics. Amazing how far and much has been added even since then.

I should get under way with my '15 in the coming weeks by the looks of it, and will share my findings.
    Great! Read the PCM today, but it's all F**cked up to say the least. The values are all over the place, not sure if I did something wrong, or that's just the way it is. Lol.

I'd email support with your exact concerns and see what they say. My '15 works fine. I have read the tune, and all the scanner data looks great:

'17 Whipple'd S550

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrot View Post
    Great! Read the PCM today, but it's all F**cked up to say the least. The values are all over the place, not sure if I did something wrong, or that's just the way it is. Lol.
    Is your ECU stock or has it been tuned by another product?

Scanner worked great for me too. Just the stuff in the VCM editor that was definitely off.

Scanner worked fine for me too.

Capture 2 by Lee Jacobson, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    Is your ECU stock or has it been tuned by another product?
    Never been touched before. Co-worker just bought it and it was a one owner truck. Previous owner was a 65 year old fella, that traded it in for another new. one. So I highly doubt be did anything to the PCM on it. Lol.

Senior Tuner
    Probably just a bug in the definition file. Email support your file so they can check it out.

I agree, there is something going on there no doudt. Here's the same tables in my '15:

'17 Whipple'd S550

Emailed [email protected]. Hope they can figure it out.

Tuner in Training
    Ive done extensive dyno tuning / logging of the 3.5, approx 12 hours.
    Found many things to adjust, and things not to. Cranked boost up to 19psi and yes have control over throttle
    Just a word to the wise, Ive had issues with the latest nightly update, lost channels I needed to see to tune properly. Also, in the the log Gerrot shared KR isnt logged. BIG no no. Stock tunes have a ton of KR

dlgransion,

I haven't done any tuning yet, just was sharing that I could log properly, but the file was not correct. Willing to share what table you adjusted? Also, interested in hearing what you all log, or would like to see what you all log if you are willing to share your Config with us.

Thanks!