Thread: 2013 Jeep Wrangler, questions about WA580 trans tuning

Advanced Tuner

2013 Jeep Wrangler, questions about WA580 trans tuning

Trying to get familiar with this this transmission,
    In the Auto Shift Speed tab, I see the shift point strategy for part throttle and WOT.
    From what I gather so far in a quick glance, I see trans mode, Normal, Performance and Winter for part throttle, normal and performance for WOT, and different tcc patterns for tcc, in my Jeep I have no option to switch to normal or performance anything, I can switch the stick to manually shift,and that's about it, so my guess the trans only gets input from Normal ?
    I did a quick scan and I see trans mode is always 4wd in my Jeep, furthermore I see in tcc options in the calibration that 4wd refers to Normal tcc pattern, so my take is that my Jeep only uses Normal mode to shift.

In that intsnace, referring to the tables I can see Pedal% vs shift speed. Pedal % I think applies to Accelerator pedal position %, but what is shift speed in this tables ? Trans Output Shaft RPM ?

Trans_shifting_Points by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

I'm also attaching my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Calibration, trans is stock as I haven't changed a peep yet
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Cool, i've found this from somebody else asking more or less the same,
    "Shift RPM is output shaft based. Divide desired engine rpm by trans gear ratio to get output shaft RPM for that gear"
    So for reference
    WA580 trans ratio
    1st: 3.60
    2nd: 2.19
    3rd: 1.41
    4th: 1.00
    5th: 0.83
    R: 3.17
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 11-27-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Actually there isn't a accelerator pedal postion %, but accelerator pedal position sensor, which displays Volts, what PID would I need to use to correlate Pedal% in the trans tables ?
    I see Acelerator Pedal D and E (SAE), is it either one ?

Advanced Tuner
    Anybody ?

Advanced Tuner
    i'm also going to try 0 rpm slip when the converter locks like this, I made all 6 tables 0
    tcc_desired by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

Advanced Tuner
    Tried the 0 rpm slip with good results, however, we must have a hidden parameter in there that controls the ramp rate of the tcc lockup and/or tcc pressure rate, as even with all the tables commanding 0 rpm desired slip, the desired slip rpm is still showing 15 as the min rpm instead of 0, I've seeing this before with the GM and 6l80e tunes, before we had control of the ramp rates, and tcc regulator pressure gain/offset, maybe Dodge uses a similar approach ?

This is the factory slip, tcm commands around 45-47rpm at cruising speed
    trans6_notcc by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

And with all the tables commanding 0 desired slip, the PID stills shows 15rpm min desired, and I haven't seeing it going down to 0 as i'm commanding in the tables, it will be good to be able to control tcc pressure to lock that verter really good for 0 actual slip, especially if you have an aftermarket verter

Trans6_tcc by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 11-29-2015 at 07:08 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Awesome work trying to dig into this mess....

Can you post up your revised tune with the zero'd out trans slip? That 15 value is the stock value in the last few output shaft rpms, wonder if its not writing correctly.

Senior Tuner
    To your first post, there is a toggle for using the WOT shift speed tables in the Autoshift Properties>General>WOT. If you set this to "enable" and above the pedal percent you set just below it will switch to using the WOT tables. If you set to disable, both normal driving and when you go WOT will both use the "Normal" shift speeds.

the trans uses a calculated "Trans Performance Factor" you can log with the scanner. Based on this factor the shifts will be interpolated between the Normal and Perf tables. Just like a regular Low/High Octane spark tables lookup if you're familiar with that. The performance factor uses things like Accelerations, pedal, braking etc. as inputs. Basically the more your thrash the car the more it moves to the perf table. You can see these params under Auto Shift Properties, General.

I'll look into the TCC slip thing.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post

Chris...
    Chris, any updates on this. I had tried the same type of testing with the TCC parms when the trans tuning first came out and had the same results. I also tried raising the pressures but not dice.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Awesome work trying to dig into this mess....

Can you post up your revised tune with the zero'd out trans slip? That 15 value is the stock value in the last few output shaft rpms, wonder if its not writing correctly.
    Sure here you go

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    To your first post, there is a toggle for using the WOT shift speed tables in the Autoshift Properties>General>WOT. If you set this to "enable" and above the pedal percent you set just below it will switch to using the WOT tables. If you set to disable, both normal driving and when you go WOT will both use the "Normal" shift speeds.
    Ty sir. it's enable in my tune from the factory, enable pedal is 98% so i'll assume I have to drive it with the pedal to the metal to reach the performance mode.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    the trans uses a calculated "Trans Performance Factor" you can log with the scanner. Based on this factor the shifts will be interpolated between the Normal and Perf tables. Just like a regular Low/High Octane spark tables lookup if you're familiar with that. The performance factor uses things like Accelerations, pedal, braking etc. as inputs. Basically the more your thrash the car the more it moves to the perf table. You can see these params under Auto Shift Properties, General.

Chris...
    Thanks a lot for the explanation Chris, and for looking into this.