Thread: Tune is turning my fuel pump off

Tune is turning my fuel pump off

I loaded a new tune on my truck and the truck starts and runs for about 3 minutes and then turn the fuel pump off. If I turn the pump on in the scanner it comes on, but it will not run with the regular tune, until I reload the tune then it runs again for 3 minutes and shuts down again. Please let me know what could be causing this issue.

Thank you,

Brandon

Advanced Tuner
    Not specific enough. Upload both tune files. Have you reloaded the old tune?

I reloaded a the old tune and the problem still exists. I will load the tune when I get home...I don't have it on my work computer

Advanced Tuner
    If the old tune does it too it's probably not a tune problem.

That's kinda what I thought...I was asking more along the lines of has anyone ever had this problem...

That's bizarre. I would say it is probably a coincidence with the tune aspect. I would perform routine diagnostics and find out for sure the fuel pump relay is being shut off by the computer before I blamed the tune. There were quite a few GM trucks that had fuel pump connectors made from MP150 terminals which are only rated for up to 15 amps. A new pump will run at 10-12 amps for 60 psi. Slow the pump down a little with a dirty fuel filter and now you have even more amperage. They have since been upped to GT280 terminals which can carry more current (25 amps).

I did a complete rewrite with the exact same tune and the problem went away...didn't change anything else. I wondering if my ECU isn't trying to fail on me.

If you don't test it you'll always be guessing. Set up a low current test light on the PCM control side of the fuel pump relay. If the light goes out before the engine dies then there is a problem related to that ckt. If the light goes out after the engine dies it is not the cause of the engine stalling.