Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The E85 Thread

Advanced Tuner
    Never noticed it before but there is a "specific gravity" box under air fuel ratio in the FG tunes. Is anyone changing this for E85.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotrana View Post
    Never noticed it before but there is a "specific gravity" box under air fuel ratio in the FG tunes. Is anyone changing this for E85.
    Yep, I just cant remember the value off the top of my head lol

Advanced Tuner
    VPW and other sites have it down as around 0.79 and have used this.

Specific gravity is dependent on temp so it's a varying value
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    And pressure. Also dependant of temp is the lb/hr fuel delivery of injectors. SG for fuel seems to be quoted by the industry so I guess they have their own temp/pressure reference. Depending on engine requirements I have seen the SG in the tunes vary from 0.68 (close to the measure I did of low octane) to 0.735 (E10?).

Not sure what you are getting at Jet.

I'm just saying don't get to wrapped up in changing the factor and expecting a direct change as the factor like most input calculations are temperature based
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Tuner in Training
    Thought I would bump this thread rather than start a new one.

I have recently been playing around with E85 on my FG G6ET and the car has been doing what I want it to do, now that the mornings are getting colder I have had a few issues with cold start.

It is taking a while to start, I tried adjusting the cranking fuel vs ECT table and have bought the cold values down to ~ .7 lambda which hasn't really made too much difference. Another issue was when I take off after a cold start, the car will idle fine but as soon as I touch the accelerator it hesitates and leans out and i'll get a lean pop, once it passes around 1500RPM it will run perfectly fine until it changes gear and drops revs again.

I will post up my tune file and a log soon, I haven't touched the speed density tables yet and was wondering if this would be the next place to look.

Advanced Tuner
    The approach for 98 and E85 is a little different.
    I would say that you need to lower your high slope to richen up the fuel down low. You will find that on cold start, the fueling will be based on your high slope. Also on initial acceleration it will use high slope numbers. You are only using low slope for idle (after warm up) and low speed cruising. (this does depend on injector but as a general rule)

So when I tune on 98 I make my high slope number so it achieves no hesitation on take off (cold) and good cold starts, first. Once you get good fueling down low, the high and low slope stay set. The high speed fueling you can do via SD tables or and lambda fueling table.
    On E85 I will make sure I get my high slope number where you get no hesitation when engine running warm and a little hesitation on cold start. Then I add extra fuel via cold start tables. Top end is done A/A. E85 likes more fuel cold compared to 98.

THis is a vague rundown of how I do it. Others do it differently.

Tuner in Training
    Gday guys so im gathering info to build myself a P98 tune. My car currently tuned for e85 which was done at a performance shop. Ive since bought my own HP tuner and am looking to switch back to 98. So trying to reverse engineer the tune and have a usable 98 map.

On pg 1 of this thread its been suggested that the Hi and Low injector slopes don't need to be changed when switching to e85.... just changing the Stochio ratio is doable. I understand I will also need to pull some timing out. Using the ID characteriser spreadsheet I see that changing the Ethanol content box doesn't change any of the scaling or offset values. So given that e85 burns approx 30% more than petrol where does is the extra fuel added from???

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by als008 View Post
    Gday guys so im gathering info to build myself a P98 tune. My car currently tuned for e85 which was done at a performance shop. Ive since bought my own HP tuner and am looking to switch back to 98. So trying to reverse engineer the tune and have a usable 98 map.

On pg 1 of this thread its been suggested that the Hi and Low injector slopes don't need to be changed when switching to e85.... just changing the Stochio ratio is doable. I understand I will also need to pull some timing out. Using the ID characteriser spreadsheet I see that changing the Ethanol content box doesn't change any of the scaling or offset values. So given that e85 burns approx 30% more than petrol where does is the extra fuel added from???
    If you are new to all of this, its probably best that you find your strategy code (operating systems eg HACCKA2) and download a similar factory ecu calibration from the repository on the HPtuner website.
    Then use the compare feature of VCM Editor to see the differences between your calibration and stock.

To answer your questions, just start by changing the stoich value back to 14.64 (Stock)
    You will probably also want to change the borderline spark tables back to stock.
    Have a look at the VID Octane adjustment in borderline corrections too.
    If "octane" is enabled in the VID block it should give you an extra 4 deg timing (on a stock calibration). I think this works well on a 98 tune.

Advanced Tuner
    get a stock fail.

changing the stoich value is where the global fuel change is make. 14.64 to 9.80 will add 30% globally.

tuners will usually add spark in the borderline knock table. if its tuned for E85 the commanded spark will usually be far more than 98 will take without ping.

post your current file and mods with E85 and provide where you want to b on 98 and people could suggest some values to edit.