Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The E85 Thread

Tuner in Training
    Excellent!

"You start a thread to what can only now be see as " just tell me how to do it " and i say blow it out ur arse and use your brain and have an educated think and then ask a direct question, i asked for you to start the thread in whatever way you seen the direction of it going and then it's the sooks on..."

Wow! And you wonder why people think you are a keyboard warrior and suggest to "Not worry about your advice"..... unreal bloke. The forums don't revolve around you and your advice alone fortunately.

1 it's imperative to have the wide band re set/re scaled to fresh air first if it's been used or permanent fixed to your car like alot of us would have ( fairly easy procedure to do and it's apart of any initial install process )

2 it's going to block up your filters with crap from 98 fuel and in the tank quickly so have a few spares

3 have a pre determined "calculated" outlook on what you think should happen

4 leaving the stock timing scale on E85 in a no no

To go into this a slight bit further and terry should know this and anyone tuning for a specific fuel should to but we rate fuels in octane levels 01/95/98/p100/E85

What do we know about octane levels and cylinder events ?

What do we know about cylinder events and EGT's

All of which are good advice and things to be mindful of, and all that was asked for. Although perhaps next time leave your opinions at the door
    Last edited by Sasha; 12-15-2015 at 02:42 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Read this paper. It addresses cold start issued related to E85 and gives a little insight into the fuel.

http://papers.sae.org/2009-01-0620/

You absolutely need to adjust the timing, add a heap more spark to being with (say 5 deg) and then add a degree at a time and see the results on the dyno. As you add spark you should be seeing a change in AFR and boost as well, you'll find you should be adjusting all three at the same time.

I run more DC values for the same amount of boost in my E85 tune than my 98 tune.

Advanced Tuner
    do any of our pcms have the ability to run a flex sensor?
    only just found out the commos can run them from factory, kinda seems like ford missed the boat on that one.

Advanced Tuner
    no? lol

Tuner in Training
    No, hehehe

Best you can do is change the stoich ratio.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotrana View Post
    You will find E85 behaves differently to 98 (Jets gonna say 'der'). For example with 98 when you lean it out on cruise (16+:1) you will get a lean misfire . Where as with E85 you don't get the lean misfire, you just get a reduction in power. Understanding these behavioural differences is important, esp under load.
    Best thing you can do is just play around with it cruising around and moderate acceleration and leave understanding the timing map side of it till last and internet surf. So much good info out there.
    My observation with 20-21 psi boost on E85.

Doesn't ping @ 0.85-0.87 Lambda @ WOT, but the engine feels flat
    Pulls hardest @0.80-0.82 Lambda @WOT, I believe this is the sweet spot for E85. It produces its greatest amount of energy @ 17% richer than lambda according to research into this fuel.
    The engine will tolerate 25-30 degrees of timing @6000rpm.

It's an easy fuel to tune.

I have been told that e85 run too rich can cause excess cylinder pressure and can lift heads. Has anybody encountered this?

Tuner in Training
    You'll start to lift the head on the factory engine around 550rwkw, ~25psi boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    You'll start to lift the head on the factory engine around 550rwkw, ~25psi boost.
    With factory head bolts or head studs?

Tuner in Training
    With factory head bolts.

Have you tried this mate? Putting 25psi into an engine with 25-30deg of spark on factory head bolts?

Tuner in Training
    I'm only at 20psi atm, not wanting to break the stock engine, so no.

Tuner
    My findings are the same as you have stated above Romulus..

And yes I'm encountering head lifting at the moment, except with a built engine, fire ringed gasket/block, gtx35/82, arp2000 12mm studs.. I made 450rwkw @5500rpm 21psi at around the 0.82 mark and ~22* timing, it made similar power when leaning it off (it also took more timing) but the torque wasn't there, it was good for 11.0@139 10.8@140 11.1@138 with shit 60'.. Anything over 21psi with a rich lambda (0.82) it would lift, leaning it off helped but the torque just isn't the same..

The turbo has blown so I'm getting it re-built and chucking in some ARP Custom Age 625+ studs in at the same time to see if this will help.. I'm still learning and need more Dyno time for more testing but yes it's. It's a Great fuel to work with

In saying that, a good friend has a stock motor F6 with a 6466 which made 503rwkw @27psi at a big Sydney workshop, but is now suffering from a lifted head

Advanced Tuner
    What torque did you use on the head bolts peppy?

Tuner
    The arp specified 100ftlb, but these new studs torque to 130ftlb

All of my bigger powered E85 cars dont suffer head lift yet the workshops previous had lifted the head on both cars

Wonder what I'm doing right but their doing wrong.....

Ready for a riddle now terry hahahahaha
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    The effect of carbon monoxide on those riddles of yours Jet is gonna make this a hard one.

What head gasket also Peppy. Personally don't like 3 layer MLS. Needs sealant.

Didn't you read terry? He said fire rings, no gasket

I don't like the MLS on the falcon either, stock genuine gasket and stock bolts can hold 500rwkw no worries

How u get there is the key ....
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy_t View Post
    My findings are the same as you have stated above Romulus..

And yes I'm encountering head lifting at the moment, except with a built engine, fire ringed gasket/block, gtx35/82, arp2000 12mm studs.. I made 450rwkw @5500rpm 21psi at around the 0.82 mark and ~22* timing, it made similar power when leaning it off (it also took more timing) but the torque wasn't there, it was good for 11.0@139 10.8@140 11.1@138 with shit 60'.. Anything over 21psi with a rich lambda (0.82) it would lift, leaning it off helped but the torque just isn't the same..

The turbo has blown so I'm getting it re-built and chucking in some ARP Custom Age 625+ studs in at the same time to see if this will help.. I'm still learning and need more Dyno time for more testing but yes it's. It's a Great fuel to work with

In saying that, a good friend has a stock motor F6 with a 6466 which made 503rwkw @27psi at a big Sydney workshop, but is now suffering from a lifted head
    Mine's peaked at around 22psi in the midrange (3000-4000rpm), Lambda anywhere from 0.78-0.80, 20* and no signs of lifting the head.

Who knows, maybe I've a freak engine.

I'll be installing the 14mm head studs when the built motor gets done.

Tuner
    Haha I know what your saying jet, I'll get there, hopefully back on the Dyno in the next couple weeks to have another crack

It's a brass fire ring, and copper gasket 0.04".. When I pushed 27psi early Coolant was spraying out from between the head and block, and also Pumped boost into the cooling system, obviously a big power drop... But keeping it at 21psi and 0.82 it was fine.. On the steet, leaning it off I was able to hold 24psi for a while, until it started pressurising the cooling system