Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The E85 Thread

Advanced Tuner
    The question is, is the optimum fuel and timing developed on a dyno the same as it is in the real world enviroment, the new scanner can now answer this.
    Tune with actual data not simulated data!.....Applied Road/track Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Struth Peppy. Stock motor with the aggressive timing? You wonder why the tuner wouldn't just throw another few psi in, 18 isn't exactly a lot.

Yortt we don't invest over 50k on a tool if it couldn't do a job it was intended to do

I do know what you're trying to say and I've done so much of both street tuning and dyno tuning i can tell you now that the gains you see on the dyno are nearly never seen on the street especially when it gets to the finer points of tuning

Even if you run the strictest of repeating a method on the street you still have to many variables to account for

Using a quality calibrated tool clearly makes sense and the fact any half respectable workshop has one is not just for the hell of it, it's for a reason ...

E85 will take timing very differently from other fuels and can get away with being "lazier" as it's threshold is bigger but there's still basic tuning methods to use and results per change
    You just won't see this on the street because the "Bum o meter" isn't that calibrated lol

It's quite clear so many workshops are still not understanding what's going on with E85 on the turbo falcon as the damage rate is becoming mind blowing and even in little old SA I'm having a full plate fixing common head lift issues from one premium workshop and it's the same stuff each time ..... Laziness

the last E85 car i did made more power on

Less fuel
    Less timing
    Less boost

And a car that feel heaps better mannered and no damage

Go figure hey, more is not always more
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JETURBO View Post
    Those figures you guys are throwing around are way to much as toads as mentioned

You need to start using a dyno as you are clearly not seeing where your gains per degree are running out

Get back to basics boys .... Maximum torque for minimum timing !!
    I did, hence the 474rwkw and a %$#$ load of midrange. Peak torque between 3250 and 5250 rpm, I'd say that's a broad torque range.

Still running the factory cat back exhaust. Tuned on E85.

Bearings on the rollers need replacing hence the squiggly top end.

Advanced Tuner
    Jet
    Well we will have to agree to disagree, from my experience at the drag strip data log and trimming a dyno only tune will net gains as determined by quarter mile times.
    If “lifting heads” is an issue which you have indicated it is, then checking the knock threshold can now be determined accurately with the new scanner.
    Last edited by Yortt; 02-04-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Out of interest Jet are the cars making the same power at the same RPM? Or higher in the rpm range?

Tuner
    how would you get accurate timing at say 4000 rpm on the street or the track?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Huddo View Post
    how would you get accurate timing at say 4000 rpm on the street or the track?
    By tracking the knock threshold.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Yortt View Post
    As the Riddler says, you really need a dyno to determine a window where you want timing to be.
    Long story but 500hp turbo red motor where it was determined via dyno that 28 degrees is where it stops making power on 98 and you could go past 28deg where power would drop but still no knock.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotrana View Post
    As the Riddler says, you really need a dyno to determine a window where you want timing to be.
    Long story but 500hp turbo red motor where it was determined via dyno that 28 degrees is where it stops making power on 98 and you could go past 28deg where power would drop but still no knock.
    An alternate view

When you tuned on the dyno did you log it at the track and compare it for required fuel delivery and knock? Because i feel your summation above may well be very different in a track enviroment. Easy to determine, you now have all you need to check it for yourself.
    Identifying the window where you want timing to be is accurately available through the scanner particularly with the substantial frame rates Hp Tuners scanner now has.

First, you need to check your tune at the track if the logged information duplicates the Dyno information then I am wrong and you leave the tune as is nothing gained nothing lost.
    Second, if indeed the fuel delivery is different or there is knock then there are gains to be had.

Check the web out there is now information available on the topic.

This is a link which I think goes back to 2004 he was a popular motoring journalist at the time.
    http://blog.autospeed.com/2005/12/04...t-on-the-road/
    http://blog.autospeed.com/2004/08/15...to-do-testing/

AND REMEMBER DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!
    Last edited by Yortt; 02-06-2016 at 04:35 AM.

Tuner
    but this is not accurate,
    on many cars, taking it to where it pings and backing it off can be way too much advance, let alone factoring knock sensors not being accurate
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Advanced Tuner
    but this is not accurate,
    on many cars, taking it to where it pings and backing it off can be way too much advance, let alone factoring knock sensors not being accurate
    You say "but this is not accurate," can I ask why?

"taking it to where it pings and backing it off can be way too much advance" Not at very low knock levels when transitioning on the road/track and thats all that is needed to determing the knock threshold location.

"let alone factoring knock sensors not being accurate" again why do you say this?

Advanced Tuner
    It has been a general rule as long as I can remember tuning (when we had points distributors ) to advance till it pinked and then back off a few degrees. That is all we knew and all we could do in the absense of measuring tools.
    Now in the case of 98 fuel, this would work OK in most cases. However with E85 it does not work, in most cases it wont make any noises before it starts dropping off power.

And then now we have the head lifting issues with E85 and we want to keep advance to a minimum so we want to find the trade off point where hp per degree of advance/fuel ratio vs chances of head lifting relationship needs to be determined and this can only be done on the dyno.
    Last edited by turbotrana; 02-07-2016 at 05:58 PM.

I never thought I'd see the day but terry is bang on correct

Now use the information in this thread and come back with some "interesting" results lads
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Tuner
    You say "but this is not accurate," can I ask why?

"taking it to where it pings and backing it off can be way too much advance" Not at very low knock levels when transitioning on the road/track and thats all that is needed to determing the knock threshold location.

"let alone factoring knock sensors not being accurate" again why do you say this?
    Turbotrana pretty much answered it thanks and Jet confirmed it thanks also
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotrana View Post
    It has been a general rule as long as I can remember tuning (when we had points distributors ) to advance till it pinked and then back off a few degrees. That is all we knew and all we could do in the absense of measuring tools.
    Now in the case of 98 fuel, this would work OK in most cases. However with E85 it does not work, in most cases it wont make any noises before it starts dropping off power.

And then now we have the head lifting issues with E85 and we want to keep advance to a minimum so we want to find the trade off point where hp per degree of advance/fuel ratio vs chances of head lifting relationship needs to be determined and this can only be done on the dyno.
    For those that have concluded it can only be done on the dyno I respect that conclusion and it is not for me to convince otherwise.

For others that may not have a conclusive opinion, Datalog Datalog Datalog Measure, Capture View & Analize and as Jet says "Now use the information in this thread and come back with some "interesting" results lads"
    Last edited by Yortt; 02-08-2016 at 04:13 AM.

Tuner
    Data logging will not always show what you need to know
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Advanced Tuner
    Data logging will not always show what you need to know
    Can you tell me what data logging can not show what you need to know?

Tuner
    minimum spark to achieve the best torque at a given rpm, as mentioned you will need a dyno to do that, roadtesting, track ect will not do it
    Thanks for your help
    Mark H.

Advanced Tuner
    minimum spark to achieve the best torque at a given rpm, as mentioned you will need a dyno to do that, roadtesting, track ect will not do it
    In the pcm the engineers have intergrated the ability to monitor torque for detailed management purposes, this pid is available to be logged.
    The objective is to move a mass (the car) over a give distance in the shortest possible time.
    This includes gear changes which covers variable engine loading.
    Last edited by Yortt; 02-08-2016 at 05:32 PM.