Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The E85 Thread

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JETURBO View Post
    Didn't you read terry? He said fire rings, no gasket

Peppy said "It's a brass fire ring, and copper gasket 0.04"

That cabon monoxide is affecting you more than I thought.

Unless i have to spell it out again it's the fire ring doing the work keeping the pressure in .... Yes ?

As most know fire rings should hold more cylinder pressure that any typical gasket.... Where's the problem then ....
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry Jet, I forgot, you were talking in riddles about "no gasket".

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JETURBO View Post
    Unless i have to spell it out again it's the fire ring doing the work keeping the pressure in .... Yes ?

As most know fire rings should hold more cylinder pressure that any typical gasket.... Where's the problem then ....
    Pressure in the combustion chamber?

Tuner in Training
    If I smell coolant everytime I lean on the engine in 4th gear is that a good sign? It's only coming from the coolant bottle. Maybe the cap is faulty lol.

Advanced Tuner
    You are taking the pi$$ yeah!!?

Tuner in Training
    No, I'm trying to figure out why the coolant bottle spews out a little bit of coolant every now and then...I suspect the cap is fault.

There's no coolant in the oil so all is good.

Lifty lift

Do u even lift bro

#liftedhead4lyf
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons

Tuner in Training
    No CO2 in the coolant system.

I don't even lift bro.

Advanced Tuner
    Joe how much timing have you got in it at peak VE? and do you stop adding timing when the torque increases aren't as dramatic? I've been told 1000 times I haven't got enough timing in mine but I haven't had a head lift issue with mine yet. Keen to hear everyones opinion.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Advanced Tuner
    Timing up before, and down at, and up again after (depending on boost), maximum torque as determined by the knock threashold at the track. If this threashold is breached massive pressure spikes in the combustion chamber occure with obvious results.

Fortunately VCM Suite finally have the ability to monitor the Australian Ford knock threashold location under actual applied load conditions.
    Last edited by Yortt; 02-02-2016 at 03:49 AM.
    Tune with actual data not simulated data!.....Applied Road/track Tuning

Tuner
    Without looking at it, it starts in the low single digits at low revs, increases to 24* at peak torque and drops to 22* by the top of the rev range.. I noticed it took more with less fuel, but didn't like any more when it's far

I'm very keen to log knock and the other new DMR's to see if it differs from before.. ill have it running by the end of the week to see what the go is.. How about yours Michael?

What gasket and stud combo are you running?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy_t View Post
    Without looking at it, it starts in the low single digits at low revs, increases to 24* at peak torque and drops to 22* by the top of the rev range.. I noticed it took more with less fuel, but didn't like any more when it's far

I'm very keen to log knock and the other new DMR's to see if it differs from before.. ill have it running by the end of the week to see what the go is.. How about yours Michael?

What gasket and stud combo are you running?
    "increases to 24* at peak torque" out of interest at what boost?
    Tune with actual data not simulated data!.....Applied Road/track Tuning

Tuner
    I've put a few decent sized lumps of timber on the rocker cover and slammed the bonnet down hard. No more lifted head issues, and as a free bonus I now have an XR8 bonnet bulge. FARK YEAH!!

Advanced Tuner
    My timing runs inverse to my torque curve. 24 degrees in the peak VE area is ALOT more than I would run on a car at even 15psi, let alone 20+.

Those figures you guys are throwing around are way to much as toads as mentioned

You need to start using a dyno as you are clearly not seeing where your gains per degree are running out

Get back to basics boys .... Maximum torque for minimum timing !!

Advanced Tuner
    I'm with these lads too mate, I don't even have that much in mine up around 6000rpm, with low to mid teens at peak VE.
    Ford BF Turbo Ute,Stock head/cams, In house built bottom end,Atomic Springs, Forged Rods,Cosworth Pistons,Atomic Billet oil pump gears,ARP Head/mainstuds,Process West Stage 3 Cooler Kit- Plazmaman plenum,Precision Int.Gate 6466,Manta twin 3" exhaust,ID1000s Plazmaman surge with Holley 12-1800 pump, Home Built ZF6H26, On United Pump E85 499rwkw 10.5@135mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZupPhrMss
    Latest mods, FG intake manifold conversion and ID1300s-500rwkw, Yet to see the 1/4Mile

Potential Tuner
    i seem to be having good luck with mine so far. stock engine running 21psi in the mid with 20deg and 17psi up top with 22deg timing. no lifted head yet lol. had it on the dyno last week and made 400rwkw running a GT3582r and .78 lamda. e85 is a great fuel to run in our falcons. just a shame its getting harder to get in my part of melbourne.

Tuner
    There's no doubt I'm still learning, let's face it, we all are, but some have experienced more then others... I do know the how's and whys of how an engine works, just slowly working out the limits of these things..

Now, I get what your saying, you think too much timing is causing detonation, which obviously causes cylinder pressure spikes, causing it to lift the head.. Makes sense, and I'll definitely go back to stock tables and start again.. But my last Dyno experience with the car, started with 14* around 0.8, 21psi peak dropping to 20psi, it made 421rwkw, worked my way up a degree at a time, made it to 22* 0.82 and same boost and it made back to back 450rwkw.. So you can see how I ended up where I am.. (Later on the street I leaned it off 0.85 and took it to 24*, no I don't have any data to back it up but it "felt" stronger)

On another note, I've logged cars tuned by some of the big Sydney shops, right or wrong I've seen 27-30* with 0.86-0.87 on 16-18psi... And they crack!
    I've logged cars on 20psi on 98 with 16-17* in them

Thoughts and opinions welcomed!

Advanced Tuner
    anyone played with an na motor with e85?
    i know the compression isn't really high enough to bother but a few ppl with speedway cars have asked me about it.