Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 03-05 SCI Scanner Information

Tuner in Training Matt@HPTuners's Avatar

03-05 SCI Scanner Information

SCI and SAE PIDS
    The 03-05 Cummins trucks use combination of 2 different types of scanning parameters on two different busses - SCI and SAE. The SCI parameters scan about 10x as fast as SAE. If any SAE parameters are selected all of the SCI parameters are slowed down to the slower SAE speed. Fortunately, we have included duplicates of all of the SAE parameters in SCI format. To be sure you are using only SCI parameters for high speed logging make sure that no SAE parameters are selected. The SCI equivalents are shown in the image below.

SAE PIDS.jpg

Scanning Speed
    The SCI scanning protocol is good for scanning approximately 20-30 parameters simultaneously at 200ms polling interval. The more parameters that are added the slower the refresh rate will be. If you adjust the polling interval on slow moving parameters such as Engine Coolant Temperature and Intake Air Temperature the fast moving parameters like Engine RPM and Boost Pressure will be refreshed much faster.

Polling Interval.jpg

Extended Datastream Patch
    The factory SCI scanning protocol is based off of parameters "lists" stored in the flash file. The factory lists are thorough, but for the advanced tuner can lack some pertinent information for tuning and diagnostics. HPTuners has provided a custom parameter list that takes advantage of some free space in these factory lists for custom parameters. Unlocking these parameters is done through the OS tab of VCM editor. Simply click "Apply Code Modification" under the "Extended Datastream" option and follow the instructions carefully. Once the flash is uploaded, open scanner and re-connect to the vehicle. You should be able to add the custom parameters in the list view.

OSPatch.jpg

Applying this patch enables access to the following parameters:

• Pilot Inj Timing
    • Post Fuel Rate
    • Post Inj Timing
    • Pilot Timing Correction Reason
    • Post Timing Correction Reason
    • Main Timing Correction Reason
    • Protection Factor Reason
    • Post Fuel Correction Reason
    • Pilot Fuel Correction Reason
    • Fuel Pressure Correction Reason
    • Torque Control Correction Reason
    • Air Density Table A
    • Air Density Table B

Thanks!
    -Matt
    Last edited by Matt@HPTuners; 12-18-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I cant seem to find the SCI for Vehicle speed. Am i just overlooking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Blevins View Post
    I cant seem to find the SCI for Vehicle speed. Am i just overlooking it?
    Are you seeing the same list when searching for "speed"?

Speed.jpg

Thanks,
    -Matt

Tuner in Training
    This is what im getting.image for hp forum.jpg

Tuner in Training
    That's what I get as well.

Advanced Tuner
    Is it safe to assume that "Total Fuel Rate (Uncompensated)" would essentially be "Desired Fuel Rate" (based off of the pedal map), whereas "Total Fuel Rate" would be what is actually being commanded after it's gone through all of the limiters?

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    That's what I get as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blevins View Post
    This is what im getting.image for hp forum.jpg
    We'll get this fixed right away.

Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    Is it safe to assume that "Total Fuel Rate (Uncompensated)" would essentially be "Desired Fuel Rate" (based off of the pedal map), whereas "Total Fuel Rate" would be what is actually being commanded after it's gone through all of the limiters?
    No, "Total Fuel Rate (Uncompensated)" is the fuel rate with all limiters before pilot/post fuel rate and balancing fuel rates are added. "Total Fuel Rate" is simply "Total Fuel Rate (Uncompensated)" + Balancing Rates + Pilot Rate + Post Rate.

-Matt

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt@HPTuners View Post
    No, "Total Fuel Rate (Uncompensated)" is the fuel rate with all limiters before pilot/post fuel rate and balancing fuel rates are added. "Total Fuel Rate" is simply "Total Fuel Rate (Uncompensated)" + Balancing Rates + Pilot Rate + Post Rate.

-Matt
    Thank you. This helps a lot.

The Vehicle Speed issue should be fixed in the latest beta build available on your customer page. The latest build as of this writing is 2.25.2753.

I also updated the main post regarding the custom parameter OS patch.

The vehicle speed parameter is not dependent on the patch.

Thanks!

-Matt

Advanced Tuner
    How do we go about determining what the values represent in the logged "correction reason" of various parameters (ie. torque correction reason, main fuel correction reason, pilot fuel correction reason), as well as "Protection factor reason" values?

How do we go about determining what the values represent in the logged "correction reason" of various parameters (ie. torque correction reason, main fuel correction reason, pilot fuel correction reason), as well as "Protection factor reason" values?
    I would like to know more about this also.
    William Collins
    04.5 Billet 48re-S366-DDP 90's-HP Tuners-Dual cp3.
    SDX 2011- 611/1091 Judgment Day 2011-641/1340 2.6 class Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AugerDickMining View Post
    I would like to know more about this also.
    Text descriptions will be added for all reason factors. Look out for them within the next month or so. I will update here when they are added.

Text descriptions have already been added for the "Main Fuel Correction Reason" which will give you the vast majority of pertinent information needed to tune.

-Matt

Is it possible to send scanner layouts? I'm having issues with getting anything to read other than tps, rpm, speed, iat, and coolant temp.
    William Collins
    04.5 Billet 48re-S366-DDP 90's-HP Tuners-Dual cp3.
    SDX 2011- 611/1091 Judgment Day 2011-641/1340 2.6 class Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AugerDickMining View Post
    Is it possible to send scanner layouts? I'm having issues with getting anything to read other than tps, rpm, speed, iat, and coolant temp.
    Are you connecting to the vehicle before you're attempting to select parameters? VCM scanner software will poll each parameter upon connection and display *only* parameters that are relevant to the currently connected module.

If this is failing, try deleting the relevant vehicle file located in (user)\Documents\HP Tuners\VCM Scanner\Vehicles and re-connect.

-Matt

Tuner in Training
    Is there something like this patch for the 06-07 trucks? I don't seem to have any of those available for data logging. I admit, I'm new to the VCM suite, so maybe I'm not doing something important, however both of the attached images are after having connected to the truck.

pilot.PNG
    timing.PNG

Try disconnecting, reconnecting and then re-polling for PIDS. Let me know if that works.

-Matt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt@HPTuners View Post
    Try disconnecting, reconnecting and then re-polling for PIDS. Let me know if that works.

-Matt
    No change. Tried connect/disconnect a couple of times.

Ok try one more thing. Go into your Documents\HP Tuners\VCM Scanner\Vehicles folder and copy all files that are there to a backup folder. Delete all files in the vehicles folder and try connecting and repolling your PCM.

-Matt

Tuner in Training
    No change. The only file in that folder was the one for the truck, and recreating it made no difference. It does connect and list the revision that the OS is at, but none of those other pids show up. I can email you the stock tune if you'd like to take a look at it. Also, this is the 2.25.2809 version of the VCM suite.

Tuner in Training
    Knalb, I have noticed sometimes I have to close both programs. The editor and scan program, then open back up the scan program. Then Connect to the truck to get the SCI pids. What is strange, somtimes I'll have to disconnect and then reconnect to get them to pull up. Give that a try to see if it helps.