Thread: 2015 Denali bad vibration over 100mph

Tuner in Training

2015 Denali bad vibration over 100mph

So my truck rides smoother than frozen whale shit until I hit 102mph, then all of a sudden I get a significant and very noticeable high Frequency vibration. It's definitely not one of the wheels out of balance. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm guessing it could be my driveshaft. Any ideas or suggestions, beside not going that fast. ?

Factory driveshaft is not rated for speeds above the factory speed limiter of like 98 mph.

The factory aluminum drive shafts are known to vibrate and explode at speeds over 100mph. So either stop going that fast or get a built steel shaft to handle the speeds.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Factory driveshaft is not rated for speeds above the factory speed limiter of like 98 mph.

The factory aluminum drive shafts are known to vibrate and explode at speeds over 100mph. So either stop going that fast or get a built steel shaft to handle the speeds.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, looks like I'll be buying a new drive shaft. It's hard to beleive how smooth this thing is up to 100 and then it feels like the transmission is going to explode by speeding up just 2 mph.

Advanced Tuner
    Ditto on the driveshaft issue, it is a problem and it usually happens right around 100-105. The first time mine did it I actually went through the vibration and was at around 115 when I realized what it was. I brought it back down quickly, scared to death it would come apart on "re-entry". lol. I got lucky, just like you did.

There have also been a few videos of driveshafts coming apart on the dyno because guys do the pulls in 4th gear. If you have a stock driveshaft in a C/K truck, you really have to dyno them in 3rd gear or maybe even 2nd depending on tires and gearing. I've seen some slow-motion video of driveshaft vibration and it looks like a giant noodle before it comes apart!

Tuner
    I can vouch for the above claims, blew the stock driveshaft out of my previous Denali at about 130, went back with a custom aluminum shaft but if I had to do it over again I would have done a custom two piece setup, it's just too long for a single shaft

Last edited by Tiffo60; 12-26-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    15 C7Z M7

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for all the input guys! I will not, under any circumstances, be exceeding 100mph until I resolve this issue. I must admit, I'm a little disappointed with this situation. The truck is my daily driver and it's mostly stock. I really wasn't looking forward to spending a bunch of money just to exceed 100mph during the occasional interstate challenge against other trucks, which may only happen 2-3 times a year. When you're cruising the interstate @80+ and another truck is feeling froggy, its refreshing to know that your not limited to such a slow speed. Crap, Ive had boats with more top end than this. Ive also had many trucks (recently) that were perfectly smooth up to 120.
    I know its dangerous going that fast in a truck, no lectures please, but you must admit that its fun to drive away from some asshole on the interstate because their truck shuts off at 98.
    Anyway, I guess I'll review my options and determine which route I want to take. Thanks again!

Senior Tuner
    lost two drive shafts in my old 10 1500 6.2 truck. second shaft took out the trans and the rear end at 100 mph. first shaft about took out a gt500 at 85 mph after coming down from a 130 mph run. set it back to 98 before something bad happens.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.