Thread: VCM write failure, now no comm

Tuner in Training

VCM write failure, now no comm

Alright forum members, FNG here in the tuning world with computers. Did my research, tried to educate myself, but still managed to screw things up and need your help. pretty sure I'm not going to like the answer. With all that said.

Went to the repository and found a GMPP tune for a 2008 Saturn Sky, figured that'd be a good place to start. Did a read entire and have my base program, made sure battery on laptop was fully charged, down loaded the 08 tune and went to write entire into my car, but didn't change the VIN in the 08 tune and I think that's where I screwed up. Anyhow the load failed with the 1C0000 code somewhere half way thru the load. Now nothing no comm with the VCM. Tried to write the original file back down, even tried to write calibration only, nothing dead in the water.

Also have problems with the scanner, going to post that in the right spot hopefully. Thanks for any and all help, hope you all had a Merry Christmas! Sent email to tech support, waiting on reply

Advanced Tuner
    You didn't mention what car you actually have, which is a pretty important detail! :-) I know you said you downloaded a GMPP 2008 Saturn Sky tune file from the repository, but not sure if you have actually have a 2008 Saturn Sky.

Regardless, you should never just download a file from another persons car and write it to your vehicle. At the very least, you should compare that tune to your stock tune and make any changes to your stock tune - then just do a Write Calibration Only (Write Entire should only be used in rare situations).

Please post what vehicle you have (including exact engine, trans, etc).

Senior Tuner
    What were you trying to flash that file into? Did you do a "Write Entire" or "Write Calibration"? It is not recommended to flash a downloaded file unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    jtrosky treed me.
    Jaime

Tuner in Training
    Well these are all things I'm a learning. I have a 2007 Saturn Sky Redline, automatic. SOLO hiflow cat, no muffler. Installed the sensors for the GMPP upgrade and was wanting to get a little more hp. I was on one of the Sky forums searching HP tuning and one of the members was using HP and had said he went to repository found a tune, downloaded it and all was good. So in my infinite wisdom I thought well this is a start as I learn more about tuning with computers, I'll make adjustments, just wanted to get the car back on the road, miss driving her. Been down for over a week as I was trying to get up to speed. Hindsight being what it is, I should of posted to the forum before I actually started. Seem every time I try to save a dime, I spend a dollar.

Tuner in Training
    Know this is posting twice, but wanted to make sure I answered all your questions.
    I have a 2007 Saturn Sky Redline, Automatic, GMPP upgrade and SOLO hiflow cat, no muffler.
    From all the things I read on this forum with my vehicle, which I realize some of the info is old, it was said to write entire, that they were having problems with write calibration only.
    Unfortunately I wouldn't know the difference in comparing tunes, I see a lot of stuff posted for the LNF setup, with all the values and even watched a couple of videos on this forum. Just got anxious to get on the road again.

I was trying to setup the scanner with the video and I don't have the same points as they were showing, almost like I got the wrong scanner program for my car, email tech support and while waiting to hear back from them, I thought hell I can just down load this tune and get on the road until all the other stuff is straighten out with the scanner and then look at customizing my tune when I could see all the data that was recommended to watch.
    Last edited by stabman; 12-26-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Did you read and backup your original file before writing with the new one? Writing incompatible OS on E69 PCMs can entirely brick them. Yours may still be recoverable if you have your original file. If you do, I'd try loading it and write entire.

Tuner in Training
    I did a read entire and have the original file, and tried to send it back down, but keep getting the same error, unable to locate/connect to vcm make sure power is on and you're connected. My luck I killed it, just hoping there was something to bring her back to life

You licensed that original file right, like spent 2 credits on it?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    yes I did and I licensed the one I downloaded

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by stabman View Post
    yes I did and I licensed the one I downloaded
    The one you downloaded from the repository or the one from your car?

Don't think about it too much. If you flashed a different year file to it, it's very likely you corrupted the ECM. If the flash went thru then you had to license both the file and the ECM.
    Try to write entire the stock tune, if the ECM doesn't respond, then it is bricked (toast). You need to buy another.
    Sometimes (very rarely) disconnecting the battery for an hour then try flashing again may work.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    The one you downloaded from the repository or the one from your car?
    Both

Tuner in Training
    UPDATE: Got an email from HPsupport, they're looking into it

Tuner in Training
    posted this in the LNF tuning section, thought I'd put it here too.
    So my first attempt at downloading a tune and I bricked my ECM. Does anybody here have any recommendations on purchasing a new one? Places to get one, places not to get one, stay OEM or aftermarket? Was looking at Andy's Auto Sport BigStuff3 GEN3 PRO SEFI - Magneto Upgrade. they have a ton of different ones starting from $190 on up to over 3K. Thanks for the help