Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing Calculator

Tuner

Timing Calculator

Anyone know of a timing calculator for HPT like the EfI guys are using?

Edit 2/19/16
    Link to HPT formatted timing Calc

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/attach...6&d=1455588577
    Last edited by Tiffo60; 02-19-2016 at 11:06 AM.
    15 C7Z M7

Potential Tuner
    I have one I built for another package that I hope to get modified to work with the 03-05s
    Last edited by wyofreeride; 01-06-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wyofreeride View Post
    I have one I built for another package that I hope to get modified t03-05to work with the 03-05s
    That would be sweet, I'm using there one for EfI live right now, it's just time consuming because the EFI axis are opposite of HPT's...
    15 C7Z M7

Potential Tuner
    I am awaiting my hardware still. As soon as it shows, I'll be working on it (don't have access to the tables to make sure they match in the demo)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffo60 View Post
    That would be sweet, I'm using there one for EfI live right now, it's just time consuming because the EFI axis are opposite of HPT's...
    You can use the conversion tables inside EFI to convert the axis to the correct layout for copy into HP.
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    HP Tuners BETA Tester for 2003-2005 Cummins
    [email protected]

Tuner
    I'm wondering if HP will integrate a timing calc like EFI?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    You can use the conversion tables inside EFI to convert the axis to the correct layout for copy into HP.
    Problem I've run into with using EFI Live to make timing calculations is the fact that I haven't licensed any calibrations to it, and therefore, it remains in "Demo Mode". When in Demo mode, you can't save changes to tables, which makes rpm, load, and mm3 rescales impossible to account for with the built in calculator. Besides that, I'm not even sure the modified pulse width map is accounted for in the calculator if the file isn't saved, first.

Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    Problem I've run into with using EFI Live to make timing calculations is the fact that I haven't licensed any calibrations to it, and therefore, it remains in "Demo Mode". When in Demo mode, you can't save changes to tables, which makes rpm, load, and mm3 rescales impossible to account for with the built in calculator. Besides that, I'm not even sure the modified pulse width map is accounted for in the calculator if the file isn't saved, first.
    Do you have an EFI Live V2 interface?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparmatty View Post
    Do you have an EFI Live V2 interface?
    Negative.

Negative.
    Then you won't be able to use EFI Live calculator unfortunately. You have to be able to save the files with the axis scales modified and reopen them to adjust from there. You need to either get a v2 or find another timing calculator to use. EFI Live would get you in the general area with their axis scales but then it will come to you doing calculations on your end or guessing on pulling/adding a little bit here and a little bit there to get it where you want and really you need a dyno at that point.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Stroker View Post
    Then you won't be able to use EFI Live calculator unfortunately. You have to be able to save the files with the axis scales modified and reopen them to adjust from there. You need to either get a v2 or find another timing calculator to use. EFI Live would get you in the general area with their axis scales but then it will come to you doing calculations on your end or guessing on pulling/adding a little bit here and a little bit there to get it where you want and really you need a dyno at that point.
    Yeah, I hear ya. I've already built a calculator with Excel. It isn't perfect since Excel doesn't have a "linear interpolate" function, but it still gets me very ballpark.

Tuner
    A reply from Keith@HP:

Quote Originally Posted by muz79 View Post
    Would a timing calc for diesels be in the works?
    Something we'll have to look into. It's a lot easier for us to add wizards into this new code base.

Tuner
    I have a Timing Calculator i just finished. Im just working on the last piece which is the Pre injection portion. I have it all able to scale dynamically based of your RPM scaling you want to use in your timing... But im still trying to figure out the minimum timing between the Pre and Main injection event. I have it so it never overlaps + the minimum 250uS but it still seems like i will need to figure out if there is an additive of Degrees on top of this minimum, or if the pre specifically needs a longer time before the main starts. Im going to open another thread and when i get my answer ill share the calculator.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamofo View Post
    I have a Timing Calculator i just finished. Im just working on the last piece which is the Pre injection portion. I have it all able to scale dynamically based of your RPM scaling you want to use in your timing... But im still trying to figure out the minimum timing between the Pre and Main injection event. I have it so it never overlaps + the minimum 250uS but it still seems like i will need to figure out if there is an additive of Degrees on top of this minimum, or if the pre specifically needs a longer time before the main starts. Im going to open another thread and when i get my answer ill share the calculator.
    15 C7Z M7

Advanced Tuner
    Any more progress on this calculator?
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

Tuner

Timing Calculator V1

Hi, There is an update I finished V1 of this. There will be a V2 with transmission tables in it soon enough and V3 potentially.

Please read the top, read the notes, and make sure if you want to rescale your RPM table you do it in the desired RPM scaling!

It updates automatically to the RPM scaling you put in the desired. - Make sure you use PSI in Rail pressure and uS on tables that use uS.

Hope this is helpful. 5.9 Cummins Timing Calculator.xlsx working on getting it into C# eventually. But right now Excel is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamofo View Post
    Hi, There is an update I finished V1 of this. There will be a V2 with transmission tables in it soon enough and V3 potentially.

Please read the top, read the notes, and make sure if you want to rescale your RPM table you do it in the desired RPM scaling!

It updates automatically to the RPM scaling you put in the desired. - Make sure you use PSI in Rail pressure and uS on tables that use uS.

Hope this is helpful. 5.9 Cummins Timing Calculator.xlsx working on getting it into C# eventually. But right now Excel is the way to go.
    Thanks you for taking the time to make this up and share it, much appreciated.

I need to run a few more tests but Im finding that your calc is a couple degrees off when compared to a known calc...

I give more feedabck tomorrow afternoon as I can find more examples than the 2 I ran real quick
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    HP Tuners BETA Tester for 2003-2005 Cummins
    [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    I need to run a few more tests but Im finding that your calc is a couple degrees off when compared to a known calc...

I give more feedabck tomorrow afternoon as I can find more examples than the 2 I ran real quick
    I'm seeing the same thing. I think it could be an issue with the fact that Excel doesn't automatically intetrpolate between 2 known coordinates, so if you have a reference that calls for an x/y coordinate that doesn't exist in the copy/pasted tables, it just picks the closest matching coordinate.

When I built my own Excel timing calculator, I had to run a formula that would derive a super high resolution map out of the IPW vs Fuel QTY vs Fuel Pressure table that is copied and pasted from the tune. I calculate the slope between 2 known coordinates, and then interpolate between them at a resolution of every 1 whole integer (meaning between fuel qty 8 mm3 and 12 mm3, it defines/interpolates 9, 10, and 11 mm3 - and same for fuel pressure reference, every whole integer is defined/interpolated), and then have the timing calculator reference that high-res IPW vs Fuel QTY vs Fuel Pressure map.

Tuner
    I'm seeing the same thing. I think it could be an issue with the fact that Excel doesn't automatically intetrpolate between 2 known coordinates, so if you have a reference that calls for an x/y coordinate that doesn't exist in the copy/pasted tables, it just picks the closest matching coordinate.

When I built my own Excel timing calculator, I had to run a formula that would derive a super high resolution map out of the IPW vs Fuel QTY vs Fuel Pressure table that is copied and pasted from the tune. I calculate the slope between 2 known coordinates, and then interpolate between them at a resolution of every 1 whole integer (meaning between fuel qty 8 mm3 and 12 mm3, it defines/interpolates 9, 10, and 11 mm3 - and same for fuel pressure reference, every whole integer is defined/interpolated), and then have the timing calculator reference that high-res IPW vs Fuel QTY vs Fuel Pressure map.

What you said initially is correct. I did "some" digging and without writing it in VBA to allow interpolation i was stuck with making a difference calculation which seems to be what others were doing... But when i extended out my LUT to over 36x32 to meet every input MM3 row, plus i extended it out by 100rpm intervals up top, the Difference method was too long for a cell. Lookup() seemed to be my best bet.. There are two lookups though, one that finds the right RPM scaling and one that finds the right injection qty... so its not so much a long calculation with Lookup() but its not as precise as using interpolation.

For interpolation, I did interploate all the cells that were generated by myself. So some are direct values but others are interpolated between and up and down..

The answer really is that this is V1. If you guys continue to see it off like that, explain what rpm or if its overall. If i need to scale out an Excel LUT table some more... its really not a big deal for me.

Keep me posted, i think its a great first step while i finish the C# application.
    Last edited by Bamofo; 02-16-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: fixing table size reference