Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6l80e shifts killing me

Tre-Cool, I used your pressure settings and the stepped preset numbers. Shifts great, but still a little hard for my daily driving (running errands). I cut the presets in half, ran it a bit, and then cut another 10%. I like it. I'm going to try the higher stepped version in the boosted '14 when it goes to the dragstrip.
    Thanks a bunch!
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Advanced Tuner
    Good to know we have different options when it comes to tuning the transmission. I've found a happy medium by blending the special and normal shift times and reducing the full throttle shift times to my liking. As far as t/m, I left all the shift torque factors stock but zeroed out the spark minimum Tq-Mgt. Fast firm shifts, but doesn't feel like you're about to rip a yoke out lol.
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    Tre-Cool, I used your pressure settings and the stepped preset numbers. Shifts great, but still a little hard for my daily driving (running errands). I cut the presets in half, ran it a bit, and then cut another 10%. I like it. I'm going to try the higher stepped version in the boosted '14 when it goes to the dragstrip.
    Thanks a bunch!
    no worries, good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyChevy305 View Post
    Good to know we have different options when it comes to tuning the transmission. I've found a happy medium by blending the special and normal shift times and reducing the full throttle shift times to my liking. As far as t/m, I left all the shift torque factors stock but zeroed out the spark minimum Tq-Mgt. Fast firm shifts, but doesn't feel like you're about to rip a yoke out lol.
    i generally don't even touch the base shift speeds, once you firm the shifts up and remove all the shift time adders. the trans will shift quick & firm. I still run full tq mgmt on all mine too. you just tweak the amount of timing that can be pulled in the ecu tune.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    i generally don't even touch the base shift speeds, once you firm the shifts up and remove all the shift time adders. the trans will shift quick & firm. I still run full tq mgmt on all mine too. you just tweak the amount of timing that can be pulled in the ecu tune.

When you modify the shifts speeds, doesn't the PCM complete the task by increasing the pressures automatically?
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyChevy305 View Post
    When you modify the shifts speeds, doesn't the PCM complete the task by increasing the pressures automatically?
    it might by using the adapts, but in stock form it seems to be very limited. doing it my way works every time on all cars.

Advanced Tuner
    On a stock tune mine do not go above the mid 60s in the 2 position. Unless maybe these values are not in KPA units. 1700???
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusG8 View Post
    On a stock tune mine do not go above the mid 60s in the 2 position. Unless maybe these values are not in KPA units. 1700???
    you might be in imperial units?

Advanced Tuner
    you might be in imperial units?
    I have the same exact converter as you. But I blew up my ring and pinion and fried the 4/5/6 clutches. So we sent the converter back to Chris at Circle D. It was fine. He cleaned it up, put in a new bearing and loosened it up very slightly to 3800 or so. I do not have it back yet. Would you be willing to share your tune with me since we basically have the same converter and transmission? Thanks

Also is locking between gears hard on the transmission?
    Last edited by CactusG8; 02-07-2016 at 09:20 AM.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

What are the timing tables responsible for pulling timing during shifts?

Advanced Tuner
    That one I think I may know. In the engine spark sheet all the way to the top right corner there are tables. Most of them say minus 20. You can change those to read less as in maybe minus ten. Maybe a tuner can answer this to confirm if I am correct.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

As in Spark Limiters/Spark Ramp Out ? Only one of those tables has a single line table with -20 and references torque. Is that it?
    Thanks!!

Advanced Tuner
    In the video's I posted. I have not needed to touch any of the spark tables for torque management. Most of them are generally between -10 up to -20 degrees.

If you want tyre chirps on low speed shifts just set anything below .44gcyl to 8 degree's....

Spark Minimum table?
    Video's---Where?
    Didn't see it on your homepage. Nice UTE
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 02-08-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    Spark Minimum table?
    Video's---Where?
    Didn't see it on your homepage. Nice UTE
    yeah spark minimum table can used to prevent timing dropping too much from torque management. but I honestly find you don't need to bother touching it unless like I said you want to chirp tyres on low throttle shifts.

vid's are on here a few pages back depends on how many posts you have set to show per page. I only see 3 pages for this thread.

As I use efilive for most of my tuning/logging here's a log screenshot from a 2010 Camaro running twin turbo's doing a 10.6 -1/4 with a very slow 2nd gear launch (accidently left boost controller on stage1 (3psi) so u can see the green boost line go up in boost as I hit the next stages). You can also see the 2nd to 3rd shift requires a bit more timing removal for the shift. 3-4 shift is quicker as it's in the same clutch packs, as such requires less timing removal.

15psi-camaro-ls3.png

Have you ran the boosted SS down the 1/4 yet with the changes?
    Last edited by Tre-Cool; 02-09-2016 at 12:17 AM.

this might be a stupid question but where are the adapt pressure preset tables

yeah spark minimum table can used to prevent timing dropping too much from torque management. but I honestly find you don't need to bother touching it unless like I said you want to chirp tyres on low throttle shifts.

vid's are on here a few pages back depends on how many posts you have set to show per page. I only see 3 pages for this thread.

As I use efilive for most of my tuning/logging here's a log screenshot from a 2010 Camaro running twin turbo's doing a 10.6 -1/4 with a very slow 2nd gear launch (accidently left boost controller on stage1 (3psi) so u can see the green boost line go up in boost as I hit the next stages). You can also see the 2nd to 3rd shift requires a bit more timing removal for the shift. 3-4 shift is quicker as it's in the same clutch packs, as such requires less timing removal.

15psi-camaro-ls3.png

Have you ran the boosted SS down the 1/4 yet with the changes?
    Sometimes I am thickheaded. I forget the 6l80 is not like the 4l80. Now I see the reason for the timing pull. Forgot about the clutch to clutch shifting. It was your comment about the 3 to 4 shift requiring less timing pull that turned on the light. My '13 is shifting great using your suggestions. I was just trying to smooth out the shift "feel". I thought it may be the timing reduction/increase that was causing a little bump---hard to explain---.
    My son ran the '14, 5.3 Silverado in a half mile event. Results were not that impressive even though it is a 7,000# truck. He said it shifted great but down on power.
    Thanks again!

Andrew
    Trans--auto shift properties--shift pressure--oncoming pressure preset

How do you do an adapts reset/preset??

How exactly do you do the adapts reset/preset??
    I gather it's done in the scanner, but what exactly would I have to do?
    I've seen this procedure mentioned a few times on different threads, but I'm not well versed in HPT tuning, so I would really appreciate learning how to do that.
    Sorry if this is a dunbass question, but I'm new to this forum and to HPT, and I'm just trying to learn from you guys, who obviously know what you're doing.
    Tre-Cool, those are some nice vids. You've certainly got the 6L80 figured out, because those cars sound like they have dual clutch trannies!!

Open scanner with KOEO then start scanning, click reset and then preset under the trans adapt in the vcm controls, then start vehicle.

Thats all you have to do for that part.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks man! Greatly appreciated.