Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6l80e shifts killing me

Just wanted to say a big thanks to you folks on here for helping me to get my A6 to shift like it should! I used the stepped oncoming pressure presets values posted by Tre-Cool on here and now my car shifts instantly at WOT. After I added a Heartbeat blower, I had a serious problem with getting my GS to shift at WOT, as it would just over rev and bang against the limiter. Even after 4 retunes via remote Autocal service by a big name tuner, it was still doing it, and I had to jack the shift speeds down by several mph just to get it to initiate the shift early enough to complete the shift before hitting the limiter.
    I purchased the Tuning School manual and followed their recommendations and it was working good after that, but I still felt like the shifts were taking too long.
    Now, with Tre-Cools settings, after a reset/preset (thanks 5FDP!!) it shifts like the Coan TH-400 in my race car - instantly- at WOT, and nice and firm, but not violent, at cruise. The only thing is that it shifts so quick now that I need to tweak the shift speeds slightly upwards again.
    So, a big thank you to you guys!!

If adjusting the shift speeds doesnt cure parts of that small issue, just slightly lower the oncoming pressure from what you set it at. Sometimes it's just a little too much at lower speeds but it should still shift nice and quick at higher throttle/rpm/speeds.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks man. Just got back from testing the car. It's hauling ass now! I have the converter locking at ~75mph onwards in third and it shifts like a DCT into 4th @ ~6100. It just needs another mph or so now on that shift and it'll be perfect. Can't believe what a difference that one tweak makes! Thanks again.

Advanced Tuner
    It's surprising to me that no one had thought to mention the preset stuff before (or maybe they have and know one picked up on it). I guess my video evidence makes it look compelling for everyone here to give it a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    It's surprising to me that no one had thought to mention the preset stuff before (or maybe they have and know one picked up on it). I guess my video evidence makes it look compelling for everyone here to give it a shot?
    I think the problem is that only a handful of tuners know everything they need to about the A6 and most of them are keeping mum about it. These are just one set of many tables in HPT / EFI live that no one seems even interested in explaining. You're very right that the video evidence is an attention getter - it did it for me!
    One day I'm going to take the 5 or so flights that it takes for me to make it to Australia, so I can see some of those awesome rides you guys have over there in person. Thanks again for sharing man. It is greatly appreciated.
    BTW: If you have the time, I would gladly pay you to go ever my tune and make any adjustments you see are necessary. Please PM me if you're interested.
    Thanks again anyway!

Advanced Tuner
    Won't the preset pressure adapt after a few hundred miles instead of doing the reset/preset function?
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Advanced Tuner
    Had a friends Camaro on the dyno yesterday/evening. It's a forged piston ls3 only (stock crank/rods) with a small 224/228 cam from his old blower days. Has a home made twin turbo kit with some precision 6262 turbo's on it running pump e85 (80%).

Did over 15 runs at various boost levels with the highest of 816rwhp with 19psi (boost controller was setup for 17.5psi so it crept a little after we removed air filters), his trans is stock with only a local built "more-stall". It comes on full boost around 3800~4000rpm. I'll post some log screen shots later tonight when I get home.

The car previously ran 140mph around the low to mid 700rwhp mark, but the old 3600 converter was slipping hard, also broke a rear cv on a previous launch the last time it was a the track.

As we can't run quicker than 9 seconds at our drag strip locally without a 6 point cage etc, he is going to put a t400 with trans brake in it for a private track day coming up in may, smash out a low to mid 9 and call it a day. It's a scary quick car.

Potential Tuner
    I tried tre-cools numbers in the Y mode and oncoming fields; I went about 80% of his numbers to try. Definately speeds up the shifts, but making the normal Drive mode shifts wayy too hard.
    Is that due to the oncoming pressure preset? Does that number have to stay higher than the individual gears in the Y field?

thanks

*edit* studied some more and answered my own question.. independent fields, only limit is trans overall max pressure.

Will try lowering the numbers in the preset field.
    Last edited by jstclair; 04-26-2016 at 05:12 PM.

i have my presets set like this

After a preset/reset it shifts beautifully for about a week and then the shifts get softer and softer and longer and longer until i do a preset/reset again.
    is there anyway to stop the transmission adapting that way? could i just disable upshift adapt or could that cause somthing else to happen that i dont want?

Also curious about the answer to andrew1988's question.

Any modification needed for the off going tables?

Also Converter Ramp up rate after installing an aftermarket stall. Any tips there?
    2011 Sierra Crew Cab 4x4 5.3 6l80E

Sold: 2008 C6 M6, 2008 C6 A6, 2004 Silverado SS

Advanced Tuner
    you can just disable the adapts and it'll stay shifting firm forever.

but if you dial in all your gear base pressures etc, you can keep your soft shifts in drive mode for low tq areas and traction breaking shifts for wot or TUTD modes.

my car still has upshift adapts on and it works fine. nice and smooth shifts at low to medium torque, but shifts like a built t400 at anything above 60% throttle.

I'll make some new vids on the weekend if anyone's curious to see how it transitions. Though it might be a bit hard to "feel" the changes via a video.

i disabled my adapts about a week ago. i guess its kind of a bandaid fix but i do like the way it shifts.

is there a way to speed up the part throttle down shifts other than shift times? particularly down shifts like 5-3 6-4.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks for info, about too see if it works

Tuner in Training

Trans Adapt reset/preset

Comment from 5FDP --Open scanner with KOEO then start scanning, click reset and then preset under the trans adapt in the vcm controls, then start vehicle.

I have been following this thread with interest, I am new to HP tuners, total novice, have been setting up scanner Ver 3.0.23 and the closet I can find to reset is "Trans fast learning status" in channel selector Transmission>General

Cant see Trans adapt in VCM controls ?

Can anyone point me in the right direction

cheers

Make sure you are using the VCM scanner and open the Vehicle controls and special functions tab, then click on transmission.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    I log shift times what are safe time for shifts ?
    1/2 is .3 2/3 is .4 and 3/4 is .5. Should I speed this up ?

Car or truck??

I have my shift times in my heavy truck to .3000ish or so and that's plenty fast for me and it doesn't clunk into each gear.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks 5FDP will have a go tonight

Advanced Tuner
    I have oncoming pressure preset-- I have 3.0 and it has 1-2., 2-3 and 3-4 also 1-2 special , 2-3 special and 3-4 special
    do i just do the first ones only ?

special is for when the shifter is in sports mode or TUTD the first ones are for when it is just in D.