Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6l80e shifts killing me

Tuner in Training
    Hi Guys

this is a great post to follow and really interesting. One of the comments that stands out for me is the increase to oncoming pressures being used as opposed to standard. No one has specifically mentioned off going pressures, again Im new at this so I would appreciate if someone could explain why the offgoing pressures wouldnt be altered considering the massive changes to on coming pressures.

cheers

Advanced Tuner
    what the answer ? I want to know too?

i have haven't tried the off going pressures. i think it might make the shifts more jerky? maybe you could change them and report back.

Advanced Tuner
    Going to try this strategy to see if I can fix my slow 2-3 WOT shift. Can't get past 275ms with that. maxed base pressure out, upped the eq ratio (higher torque reading), tried all different shift ms speed and it won't budge.

Do you guys touch the offgoing presets too?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    It's surprising to me that no one had thought to mention the preset stuff before (or maybe they have and know one picked up on it). I guess my video evidence makes it look compelling for everyone here to give it a shot?
    Your video gave me a chubby.

Tuner in Training

Trans adapt reset/ preset

Has anyone struck the problem I am getting with the Trans adapt setting on the V3 scanner.
    When I access through the special functions tab in comes up pixelated.
    Im not sure whether it is an issue or not -- when I click the trans adapt reset I do not see a specific response -- is that correct

see screen grab attached

thanks

trans adapt.pdf

yes. you wont see it do anything. key on start scanning click preset then reset then start car.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew1988 View Post
    yes. you wont see it do anything. key on start scanning click preset then reset then start car.
    Reset then preset*
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Guys
    The pixelated screen stays the same but I have tried a couple of pressure changes and with a "Reset then Preset" seems to reflect the adjustments pretty much straight away on the road test.

cheers

Advanced Tuner
    Played with this briefly today. Just set all 3 cells to 1700 kpa on the oncoming pressure. It made a HUGE difference at low RPM shifts. Instant shifts basically.

But I still can't get my WOT to shift fast. 1-2 was 400 to 900 MS. On the stock tune with the adders taken out I see 175 ms sometimes. I wonder if it's because it's above 7k RPM. I know the max line pressure table vastly tapers off in the 7k rpm cell.

My 2-3 was 225ms and it chirped the tires. That was the fastest I ever got it, so I am thinking the 1-2 is because the tire spin is making the shift happen at 7k rpms instead of 6700. It's not hitting the rev limiter though, I have that set at 7200.

I might just set my shifts to 6k rpms just as a sanity check

I have read that the max shift speed for a 6L80e is 6500-6800rpm unless otherwise fully built.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I have read that the max shift speed for a 6L80e is 6500-6800rpm unless otherwise fully built.
    Ya my target is 6700, I'll set some more lead time for the 1-2

Advanced Tuner
    Doubled my oncoming presets. The adaptives just learn over time and soften the shift up again. I added 20 percent to base pressure to the lower engine torque cells and it didn't seem to do much.

The car does shift better than ever though, really smooth and still pretty quick, but it would be nice to be able to keep that firm shift if I wanted to. I still haven't figured out why WOT is so slow.
    Last edited by BigMike42; 06-11-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Had more time to mess around with this..

I upped the base pressure to 250 psi in 1-2 and 2-3 and I set cells 1 and 2 in oncoming to 1700 KPA. I saw a 125ms 1-2 shift and a 200ms 2-3 shift, best I have ever achieved and with 100% torque management.

I tried messing with the shift times to see if I could get the 2-3 lower, but the lower I set the times, the slower the shifts kept getting. When I did the above test, I had the base shift times stock but adders taken out. I am going to try tomorrow with 100% stock shift times to see if it gets faster or at least stays the same.

Advanced Tuner
    Did a quick 1-3 pull. 2-3 feels pretty good, but having trouble making the 1-2 consistent. I see a 150ms shift sometimes, and other times over 200. I think it's the inconsistent torque management. 2-3 went down to 4 degrees timing. 1-2 was deep into the negatives, could this be the problem?

stockish shift times - with eq ratio and pressure.hplTrans Config_0.cfgg8-idle-best.hpt

You are sort of at the point of how quickly it can even make the shift. It takes time to move the fluid around and actually change the gear.

Not sure why you are dead set on making it so fast, not like you will ever be able to tell the difference between .150 and .200. That's faster than you can blink or snap your fingers. Now I have no idea on your complete setup but I don't know of many that can still be climbing in horsepower past 6,900rpm, maybe low the shift speed a few hundred and it will act different.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You are sort of at the point of how quickly it can even make the shift. It takes time to move the fluid around and actually change the gear.

Not sure why you are dead set on making it so fast, not like you will ever be able to tell the difference between .150 and .200. That's faster than you can blink or snap your fingers. Now I have no idea on your complete setup but I don't know of many that can still be climbing in horsepower past 6,900rpm, maybe low the shift speed a few hundred and it will act different.
    True, very valid points. The 1-2 is set to 6000 rpm and only 36 mph, it just climbs so fast, so it hits 7k regularly. I can lower the MPH to 34 maybe and give it a bit more lead time.

Honestly the video in this thread inspired me to try to get them that fast. I wish he'd post back and say what his actual scanner times are saying. Hard to tell from a video, but they look 100ms or less.

Advanced Tuner
    Is there a way to disable adapts just for sport mode?

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it, the master enable/disable for the adapts seem to be a global setting.
    Ported TVS1900 OD cogs 10.5psi | ID850 | Vaporworx CTS-V 1:1 | COMP 219/233 .606"/.605" 113+1 | Ported TB | Pacesetter 1 3/4 LT | Solo Mach X3

Tuner in Training
    I would like to know that also,, is sport mode based on pressures set in pattern Y or Z ?