Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6.4 custom tune pull

6.4 custom tune pull

Anybody got one from the BIG 3 tuners? I pulled a 120hp gearbox Z tune and can't find a difference in any tables on a stock tune. I am guessing we are missing ALOT of parameters, because this truck runs much stronger on this tune and smokes.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Tuner
    I got a custom tune file from Gear Head and it has a lot of changes over stock. I haven't only briefly looked but was surprised how much data he changed.

Quote Originally Posted by midevil1 View Post
    Anybody got one from the BIG 3 tuners? I pulled a 120hp gearbox Z tune and can't find a difference in any tables on a stock tune. I am guessing we are missing ALOT of parameters, because this truck runs much stronger on this tune and smokes.
    You are likely not using a true stock tune to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    Pulled my tune from my 2010. It is bone stock. All the EPA asshole crap still bolted on it...lol.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Quote Originally Posted by y2konyxss View Post
    I got a custom tune file from Gear Head and it has a lot of changes over stock. I haven't only briefly looked but was surprised how much data he changed.
    Can you post it?
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    Can you post up a STOCK tune?
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by midevil1 View Post
    Can you post it?
    Sorry I will not post a custom tune from a vendor online without their permission. I paid for the tune and then people could rip off his custom work for free. Hope you understand. I will gladly post stock but not someone else's custom work. If you have some specific or general questions about some things PM me. Thanks.
    Chris T.

2014 F350 6.7 Powerstroke.
    2008 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.4L TT Diesel. 72MM turbo, 10" lift 38" NITTO MT's 5" Straight Pipe Exhaust
    2007 Escalade 6.2L
    2010 Lexus RX350 3.5L
    2000 Camaro SS LS1 M6 - STS Turbo, FMIC, 60lb Deka's, Racetronix Fuel pump.
    1998 Dodge Cummins 12v 5spd
    1998 Topkick Cat 3126E 7.2L
    1983 Toyota Hilux Pickup SR5
    2006 DRZ400
    2008 Turbo Nytro
    2010 Skidoo XP 800
    1978 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by y2konyxss View Post
    Sorry I will not post a custom tune from a vendor online without their permission. I paid for the tune and then people could rip off his custom work for free. Hope you understand. I will gladly post stock but not someone else's custom work. If you have some specific or general questions about some things PM me. Thanks.
    A stock one is good. I totally understand the custom thing. I wanna make sure my truck is ACTUALLY STOCK.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Here is a badass tune I did with the GearboxZ and HP tuners. Will smoke all 4 37 inch Toyo's on a boosted launch and I am getting 16mpg in town. Not to smokey down low and throttle isn't touchy like the aftermarket handhelds are..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Here is a badass tune I did with the GearboxZ and HP tuners. Will smoke all 4 37 inch Toyo's on a boosted launch and I am getting 16mpg in town. Not to smokey down low and throttle isn't touchy like the aftermarket handhelds are..

Your running 4500us worth of injector duration at WOT? Also what is your rail pressure vs Duration doing once you pass 170kpa? As it isn't scaled high enough. That is the first 6.4 file I've looked at in HPTuners software. Do you have a stock file for one I could look over?

Only one way to find out. Get a 6.4 and go for it. It is still in Beta and I don't think many people have messed with them yet. Once I get a motor put back in mine i'll check it all out.

Rail pressure is around 25K. I have stock injectors so I can get away with more pulse width. I am removing the stock fuel system entirely, so I should be even better off with the AD2, bowl delete and cooler delete kits.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

I think there are still some pids that aren't available. I am just speculating until someone who has tuned with SCT or something else chimes in...
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Stroker View Post

Your running 4500us worth of injector duration at WOT? Also what is your rail pressure vs Duration doing once you pass 170kpa? As it isn't scaled high enough. That is the first 6.4 file I've looked at in HPTuners software. Do you have a stock file for one I could look over?
    Here is a stock 6.4 tune...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Have you ever tuned 6.4s on any other software?? Or any other engines with Peizo injectors?? You are going to melt a piston down with that long of a injector pw if you are getting anywhere close actual injector pw to what your commanding. On H&S 300hp max effort tune they wont go past 2400us. Anything past that duration you are not getting the injection event into the piston bowl in higher rpm. It's spraying the top of the piston and washing the cylinder walls down.

Have you ever tuned 6.4s on any other software?? Or any other engines with Peizo injectors?? You are going to melt a piston down with that long of a injector pw if you are getting anywhere close actual injector pw to what your commanding. On H&S 300hp max effort tune they wont go past 2400us. Anything past that duration you are not getting the injection event into the piston bowl in higher rpm. It's spraying the top of the piston and washing the cylinder walls down.
    Timing causes you to miss the bowl. Pulse width is the length of time the injector fires that particular event. H&S does low pulsewidth because the MASSIVE BASE FUEL tables they add.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

If your injection duration is too long though. No matter what the timing is in the higher rpm ranges you can get to a point where you will either catch the the top of the piston on the way up or on the way down. In the higher rpm range you only have an extremely short amount of time to get your injection cylcle in there. The higher the rpm the shorter the time frame which means the shorter your injector pw needs to be.

Tuner in Training
    If your injection duration is too long though. No matter what the timing is in the higher rpm ranges you can get to a point where you will either catch the the top of the piston on the way up or on the way down. In the higher rpm range you only have an extremely short amount of time to get your injection cylcle in there. The higher the rpm the shorter the time frame which means the shorter your injector pw needs to be.
    i too am wary of the long pulse width at high RPM. for example at 3k RPM, the crank moves about 80 degrees over a 4500 us pulse. even if you start the injection 20+ deg BTDC the piston is already 1/3 of the way down the cylinder when the injection event finishes. now,i come from the gasser world, so am i missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by shmo925 View Post
    i too am wary of the long pulse width at high RPM. for example at 3k RPM, the crank moves about 80 degrees over a 4500 us pulse. even if you start the injection 20+ deg BTDC the piston is already 1/3 of the way down the cylinder when the injection event finishes. now,i come from the gasser world, so am i missing something here?
    Exactly where i'm getting at. Is if your running 4500us then you would be running 44* of timing just to get a 55/45 injection event split which is right around where you will usually make peak power on these trucks. The difference between gas and diesel pistons is diesels have the piston bowl that if you don't get it in the bowl during the injection event you will be spraying the top of the piston and cylinder walls and melt a piston down or on 6.4s crack it which is already common on these trucks due to the piston bowl design. Like he posted earlier Cummins love 30* of timing but that is mostly due to you only will hit inside the piston bowl for 55* engine rotation from injector spray pattern which as rpm climbs you obviously close that window of opportunity very fast. To make that duration work you would need a spray pattern and piston bowl design to allow 80* of rotation where you are still getting fuel in the piston bowl. Yes you can make power spraying the top of the pistons in them but it isn't going to be near as efficient or safe long term by any means.

If you are running heavily advanced timing and pulse width together, I can see damaging a piston. I don't run both and I happen to write programming for Cummins Power Systems as a production engineer. You guys do what you like with your engines... lol. My pistons will continue to be fine...lol.
    2023 Ford Edge ST