Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6.4 custom tune pull

Here is my current tune I am running every day. I haven't added max timing for this tune to keep my fuel mileage up, so there is more in it... I get 18mpgs on 37's and the throttle response is smooth. Drive pressures are 1.18 to 1. EGT's will get to 1750 with stock turbos but the 6.4 is made to take it. I figure this is a 300+ tune. Rail pressure stays in the mid 20's at WOT.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by midevil1; 03-09-2016 at 07:12 PM.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Tuner
    Have you got around the issue of not being able to read/modify/write an existing SCT tune yet?
    There's some big numbers in those PW tables, how did you settle on this numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by muz79 View Post
    Have you got around the issue of not being able to read/modify/write an existing SCT tune yet?
    There's some big numbers in those PW tables, how did you settle on this numbers?
    I lowered my pulsewidth because I didn't see any gains above 3. Truck doesn't rattle, flash boil, knock, ANYTHING. Trans tune is still a work in progress. Haven't started locking the converter any earlier. It is stock and don't need it going BOOM. I will lower my PW scale when I go to add more timing, but that won't happen till I upgrade the turbos....
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    You may need to adjust your fuel rail pressure % duty cycle.

Tuner in Training
    thank you, i?ll do that

It's under fuel system tab. PCV max %. Trying upping it to around 80% because your rail pressure drops off massively.

Tuner in Training
    I did that and it keeps doing the same thing,

Your rail pressure is still dropping a lot. I think It's defueling but I can't get the puslewidth to show up on my vcm so I can't say for sure. It may be defueling because youre hitting smoke limit.

Tuner in Training
    I already increased the smoke limit, but what i noticed is that when I accel it halfway it pulls harder than in wot, could it be the etc limit? but i didnt see that changed in the sct and midevil1 tunes

Compare this 250horse tune to your's.

250 HP SCT POWERSTROKE.hpt

go into fuel system and set ALL your desired rail pressures to 185kpa. adjust your duty cycle % to 95.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Tuner in Training
    I did that and the problem is still there... Ill have to check if it isnt something mechanical, fuel filters are new by the way

You may have a malfunctioning pressure control valve. The other day I had a cummins with the same issue I looked at and rail pressure was good for part throttle and made plenty of power but as soon as you would smash it it would drop off in power like it was running out of fuel and that's exactly what it was doing. It dropped fuel pressure really bad. It would get up to 21k and then drop off down to around 10k. I told him it was either the pump or not pressure control valve. It then threw a p0088. So the pcv was malfunctioning. I believe it's replaceable. But I have not replaced one myself. So I'm not sure. I've done 6.0l psd stuff but not the common rail stuff.

rail pressure valve is under the passenger valve cover. Do you get any codes?
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by andresz28 View Post
    I did that and the problem is still there... Ill have to check if it isnt something mechanical, fuel filters are new by the way
    What kind of fuel filters do you use? I've seen weird drive-ability problems with aftermarket filters. Have you checked your low pressure fuel?

This is my latest with transmission tuned.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Potential Tuner
    Will HP read and rewrite a sniper tuned "offroad" Job 1 6.4 without corrupting the PCM? Working with the sniper software is like pulling teeth...

Is it locked? If not then go a head and read and recalibrate and rewrite and you should be fine. You SHOULD be fine but I don't know what sniper tuning does.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry to pull up something old, but does anyone know a specified parameter at which you are spraying outside the bowl on an stock injector 6.4? The H&S HD300 tunes I pulled have 20-21 degrees BTDC at high RPM full load situations and this truck has been running for years on this tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty6.4 View Post
    Sorry to pull up something old, but does anyone know a specified parameter at which you are spraying outside the bowl on an stock injector 6.4? The H&S HD300 tunes I pulled have 20-21 degrees BTDC at high RPM full load situations and this truck has been running for years on this tune.
    Its not a specific parameter, its a combination of IPW and Injection Timing that determine whether it sprays outside the bowl. I haven't seen a timing calculator openly shared for a 6.4, but it could be calculated with a little time invested. Might be easier to grab one for another diesel(duramax?) and work backwards to make it fit the 6.4.

"Safe" timing varies depending on who you talk to. Some stick around 12* citing very minimal gains in power any higher. I settled around 18* on mine but I'm trying to squeeze HP out of it for racing and sled pulling, on stock pistons. Even with a built motor I'll keep it under 18* unless I get some serious dyno time to play around.