Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 6.4 custom tune pull

My truck is still strong, but now with an S369. I will post up the tune in the repository. 110K miles before the stock turbos started puking oil..
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by midevil1 View Post
    My truck is still strong, but now with an S369. I will post up the tune in the repository. 110K miles before the stock turbos started puking oil..
    Do you have a data log of your truck? I'd love to see what it's actually seeing for main timing and injector PW. I'd also like to know what table it's using for timing when up to temp, i'm trying to understand why these tunes including yours all have negative timing in the higher fuel and rpm areas?

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    Do you have a data log of your truck? I'd love to see what it's actually seeing for main timing and injector PW. I'd also like to know what table it's using for timing when up to temp, i'm trying to understand why these tunes including yours all have negative timing in the higher fuel and rpm areas?
    The 6.4 ECU is based on timing AFTER DEAD CENTER. So on a 6.4, -20? refers to 20?btdc

Quote Originally Posted by CKrueg View Post
    The 6.4 ECU is based on timing AFTER DEAD CENTER. So on a 6.4, -20? refers to 20?btdc
    That's what i thought, the one thing that throws me off is how they idle at -11* to -7*BTDC. Fuel pressure is only at 5kpsi so They must have a very fast reacting injector or be higher compression than a 6.7? Or both? They don't require much timing up top, i know my 6.7 really likes 20-23* on a hot tune.

That's what i thought, the one thing that throws me off is how they idle at -11* to -7*BTDC. Fuel pressure is only at 5kpsi so They must have a very fast reacting injector or be higher compression than a 6.7? Or both? They don't require much timing up top, i know my 6.7 really likes 20-23* on a hot tune.
    The 6.4 does have more compression. When your saying -7 to -11 do you mean they are injecting after tdc? I have my 6.7 above 4 btdc at all times now and I get much better economy. I also noticed stock the 6.4 and 6.7 use a lot of pilot injection mass at idle to keep it quiet. When I reduced the pilot mass and raised idle timing I noticed much lower consumption at idle. I used to see 15-20 mg mass at idle now I see 8 to 12. I think stock their main concern was emissions and noise, now power and economy.

Quote Originally Posted by CKrueg View Post
    The 6.4 does have more compression. When your saying -7 to -11 do you mean they are injecting after tdc? I have my 6.7 above 4 btdc at all times now and I get much better economy. I also noticed stock the 6.4 and 6.7 use a lot of pilot injection mass at idle to keep it quiet. When I reduced the pilot mass and raised idle timing I noticed much lower consumption at idle. I used to see 15-20 mg mass at idle now I see 8 to 12. I think stock their main concern was emissions and noise, now power and economy.
    Yes that tuned posted above shows positive 7, 11, ATDC which is negative BTDC. That seems like a quite late injection event to me, just like you said you're at 4 degrees BTDC at idle. So in order to have that late of an injection event and still have a good combustion event you'd need a decent amount of compression to have enough heat in the cylinder that long after TDC. I have mine set to -.5 to 1+ BTDC with a 8-13mg demand to maintain idle. I'm also at 7000ft elevation.

Yes that tuned posted above shows positive 7, 11, ATDC which is negative BTDC. That seems like a quite late injection event to me, just like you said you're at 4 degrees BTDC at idle. So in order to have that late of an injection event and still have a good combustion event you'd need a decent amount of compression to have enough heat in the cylinder that long after TDC. I have mine set to -.5 to 1+ BTDC with a 8-13mg demand to maintain idle. I'm also at 7000ft elevation.
    Another thing to look at would be pilot mass and timing. If your mass is 15 mg but pilot is 4, that means the main Injection mass is 11. If you inject 4 mg at say, 10? btdc, the cylinder already has combustion by the time the main Injection starts so there is nearly no delay. As a general rule you want the peak pressure from combustion to occur around 10-20 degrees ATDC.

My latest tune. This is a full billet tranny also. S369 stock fuel...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Siemens CP3 or K16 pump and the injectors can flow 20% more fuel than the Bosch CP4 in the 6.7 and Dirty Snatch. I am gonna put my truck on the Dyno at work. I am expecting close to 700 at the wheels with this tune.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

Do you still have this sct tune?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by midevil1 View Post
    Here is a badass tune I did with the GearboxZ and HP tuners. Will smoke all 4 37 inch Toyo's on a boosted launch and I am getting 16mpg in town. Not to smokey down low and throttle isn't touchy like the aftermarket handhelds are..
    So I think I found the right post! I see the ?attached files? section of your post, but am unable to open the files.