Thread: ba btr auto trans tables

ba btr auto trans tables

Im a bit confused on the btr trans shift properties, can someone please give me some pointers? For example force motor current/ramp and force motor sss 1-2a and 1-2b, what does the top column numbered 1-9 in the a table and then 10-22 in the b table refer to, im guessing load related somehow? Im also guessing the values in the tables are current values to s5, so reducing these will increase line pressure? I have noticed the factory trans tune shifts a lot firmer in performance 1-2 than in drive 1-2 yet I don't see two separate tables for normal/performance modes, what am I missing here? I havnt played with any trans settings as yet until I have half a clue what does what, certainly not like the gm 4l60e mapping haha. Thanks guys

Tuner in Training
    Hi guys, thought I'd revive this thread rather than start another.

Decided to plug HPTuners into my BA the other day and just have a poke around, I'm relatively familiar with GM stuff, this is the first Ford I've looked at. It's just a plain Jane BA wagon and I've been looking through all the auto tables, but not too sure what certain values represent, and the provided help files don't list the info I'm looking for. It's not a race car obviously, just thought I'd leave the regular tables as is, but firm up performance mode for the sake of learning something new. I'll leave the overall line pressure alone, as it's of no use to me, just want it to shift quicker, so I'm looking at the following:

Shift.jpg

Under 'Auto Shift Properties', it shows 1-2a, 1-2b, 1-2a low, 1-2b low. I'm assuming 'A' and 'B' are Normal and Performance? Is this correct?
    I'm guessing the 'low' options are in the software for a 4wd (low range) option that doesn't exist in my country?

Next, when opening one of these tables, there are only two rows of numbers, the left appear to be 'Transmission RPM', and appear to correspond pretty closely to the min and max values given in the 'Auto shift speed' tables, but what does the 0-9 across the top represent?

Lastly, what do these two sets of tables do; 'Force Motor Current/Ramp' and 'Force Motor SSS Current/Ramp'? Are these shift pressures? Ramp in and Ramp out? Shift dampening? What do the values in these tables actually represent?

Cheers, Ben

Advanced Tuner
    seems like info like this on the btr tuning is either not shared or not cared about. lots and lots of info for zf but for btr its like pulling teeth.

Advanced Tuner
    Do HP Tuners do any Ford Specific training?

Back in the day we had a lot of training available to us through SCT which gave us a good understanding of what everything does. Both BTR and engine calibration. 4XR Michael talked me into the Nizpro ZF training and that was most definitely worth it.

I haven't seen the BTR tuning discussed much on here and the few of us that do understand it end up getting bombarded with questions and PM's and get pretty tired of it to be honest!

Advanced Tuner
    i think a thread that has enough basic information would be all thats required. as far as i've seen there is only small amounts of information fragmented across threads, makes it bit difficult when all most people ask is for a run down of what the parameters actually do, not for specific settings.

Advanced Tuner
    Like I said, we had training on what the parameters did....and as far as I know none of that was ever shared on the closed SCT Dealer forum.

I can't see any of the SCT tuners coming on here and spilling the beans considering they haven't on the closed forum! In addition, I doubt any of the 'HPT only' guys on here will understand the calibration.

If you guys are serious about this stuff and want to accelerate your learning you may need to hit up HPT to organise a training course.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by misk View Post
    i think a thread that has enough basic information would be all thats required. as far as i've seen there is only small amounts of information fragmented across threads, makes it bit difficult when all most people ask is for a run down of what the parameters actually do, not for specific settings.
    This sums it up pretty much. I'm not looking for any ones magic tuning approach, I just want to get my head around what certain things mean, to try and determine what sort of logic the ECM uses.

I will send an email to support tonight to try and get some input.

IH8TOADS, all I'd like is a basic description, HPtuners has some nice detailed info (short, but accurate with enough detail) for GM cars in the help section, I don't think it's too unrealistic to expect something similar for Ford stuff is it? At this point I'm only one step ahead of using something like winols, at least I have labelled maps with axis and values, but still no clue what any of it represents lol.

Ive just been learning as I go but have the basics sussed I think thanks to some good advice on here in the other 4speed auto thread. Force motor current/ramp is used in automatic mode, force motor current/ramp sss is used in manual mode. Rpm is actual driveshaft rpm and the values in the tables are current, less current to the s5 increases pressure. The top numbers In the tables a and b 0-9 and 10-22 im assuming is the ramp? My car was running the na auto calibration with 220rwkw and was slipping badly on the 1-2 and 2-3 changes, I started by copying xr6t values across and going from there.

Advanced Tuner
    I did the VCM-Suite course years ago & they gave us a book with reasonable info for most parameters & if there is any info on the BTR trans stuff I can copy/paste it up if I'm allowed???

But what turbo_will has posted ^^^ looks like it's some good info!

Advanced Tuner
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...to-calibration

I scratched the surface in this thread somewhere.

Tuner in Training
    Thats a pretty reasonable idea turbo_will, I do have a stock XR6T file from the tune repository I can reference, don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.

Grant, I have enough info that I need for now, but it would probably be useful for plenty of others if you do have any info you could share (providing you're not going to get in shit for it, of course)

IH8TOADS, I'd actually already read your post there, which eliminated a few questions out of my original post, thanks for sharing the info.

One last question I have, can someone define 'ramp' for me? I don't get why, along the X axis, as 'ramp' increases, the values given go up, down and all around, without appearing to following a pattern you'd expect.
    Last edited by Ben.; 03-09-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Just bumping this up for one last try.

Can someone tell me what the 'ramp' values represent, and why the values in the table don't seem to follow any particular pattern?

Tuner in Training
    A guy that goes by the name Daniel Nagy, Headsex, Hstuning is probably the only one in Oz that has the 4 speed down pat. I know of a built btr that travelled over 100,000kms and ran 450rwkw and only damaged planateries once in 7 yrs. Clutches are still like new.