Thread: ECM Confusion?

Potential Tuner

ECM Confusion?

The warning by HP tuners 6 days ago about verifying The stock read with the true V.I.N. of your vehicle was more or less directed at me. I went back and checked all emails to and from my tuner. The Smarty SO-6 Pod w/ UDC tuning was set back to stock and removed from my truck. I ordered the VCM Suite Software package, did the VCM Stock read from the ECM and sent it to my tuner, the tuner sent the custom tune back to me and I loaded it back into my ECM, when I started the truck all ABS and Brake lights were lit up on the dash, overhead EVIC Center was off and when I drove the truck, the speed-o-meter wasn't working. I contacted my tuner, he wanted me to read the V.I.N. from the door tag and a picture of it. Here is where the confusion started, HP Tuners started an investigation of what went wrong, I have failing eye sight and mis-read one number in my V.I.N. Tag, also sent a blurry picture of the tag that appeared to verify my read of the V.I.N.,. I went back and checked the V.I.N. from the stock VCM Read and the custom tune that was downloaded to my truck. Both are correct and match the V.I.N. plate on my dash and the tag on the door. What went wrong? neither me or my tuner have any idea and I am trying to figure it out now, corrupted V.I.N. in the ECM was never an issue.

Have you tried reflashing either your stock tune or the custom tune from your Tuner back into the truck to see what happens?

Tuner in Training Matt@HPTuners's Avatar
    We have no open 'investigation'. Your tuner will have to make some changes to your tune and run some tests before we can assist you further. We've communicated these steps for your tuner to take directly to him in order to further diagnose your problem.

Thanks,

-Matt

Potential Tuner
    OK, Thanks Matt, hope to get this truck running clean and hard again soon.

New tune sent
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    HP Tuners BETA Tester for 2003-2005 Cummins
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Yes, I have re-flashed the stock VCM read back in, no help. Received a test tune that turned off all Skim codes, now the truck won.t start, was instructed by my tuner to load the custom tune back in and truck should start, apparently the Skim codes from the front module are messed up, now that we are narrowing down the problem, I am sure we are getting close to a fix. Now that we have found out that V.I.N. wasn't ever the problem, I am going to call the Dealer tech that was helping me and see if he wants to try flashing the front module and ABS, if my tuner can't come up with a fix. I am determined to get this fixed, pretty sure we are close to a solution.
    Last edited by Chevokeeman; 01-16-2016 at 06:31 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevokeeman View Post
    Yes, I have re-flashed the stock VCM read back in, no help. Received a test tune that turned off all Skim codes, now the truck won.t start, was instructed by my tuner to load the custom tune back in and truck should start, apparently the Skim codes from the front module are messed up, now that we are narrowing down the problem, I am sure we are getting close to a fix. Now that we have found out that V.I.N. wasn't ever the problem, I am going to call the Dealer tech that was helping me and see if he wants to try flashing the front module and ABS, if my tuner can't come up with a fix. I am determined to get this fixed, pretty sure we are close to a solution.
    Had to remove my ECM and send it in for repair, they found a bad chip in the PCM
    that stores the V.I.N, apparently the return to stock file did the damage, as everything worked fine before removing the Smarty SO-6 Pod w/UDC Tuning. My ECM has been repaired and re-flashed with the latest available 04.5 configuration, it should be here the 2nd of Feb. and we can get back to getting this beast dialed in.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevokeeman View Post
    Had to remove my ECM and send it in for repair, they found a bad chip in the PCM
    that stores the V.I.N, apparently the return to stock file did the damage, as everything worked fine before removing the Smarty SO-6 Pod w/UDC Tuning. My ECM has been repaired and re-flashed with the latest available 04.5 configuration, it should be here the 2nd of Feb. and we can get back to getting this beast dialed in.
    [ UPDATE] Got my ECM back from Auto Computer Exchange, they replaced the bad PCM Chip and loaded the latest stock flash. I got it installed and loaded with the custom H/P tunes without any further problems.