Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler SKIM Thread 2.0

Chrysler SKIM Thread 2.0

Since the other SKIM thread was locked and closed (if my memory serves me correctly), I am wondering what SKIM disable progress is from HP Tuners.

I know development was placed on the back burner, but have there been any updates? For us shops that do stand alone swaps into classic cars, it is an imperative function. Spending money outsourcing the SKIM disable just to recalibrate the ECM when it returns is counter productive.

I know some people here on the boards have the ability to SKIM delete via alternative means, but I am not sure where to start, other than to buy a DRB III tool.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Lead Design and Implementation Engineer - Tactical Speed Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Blake @ TSS View Post
    Since the other SKIM thread was locked and closed (if my memory serves me correctly), I am wondering what SKIM disable progress is from HP Tuners.

I know development was placed on the back burner, but have there been any updates? For us shops that do stand alone swaps into classic cars, it is an imperative function. Spending money outsourcing the SKIM disable just to recalibrate the ECM when it returns is counter productive.

I know some people here on the boards have the ability to SKIM delete via alternative means, but I am not sure where to start, other than to buy a DRB III tool.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    PM Sent

Potential Tuner
    Why not share with the rest of the class? It would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Rebel View Post
    Why not share with the rest of the class? It would be much appreciated
    There isn't much to share at the moment. We need beta testers that can give feedback with what works and what doesn't so I sent him a PM.

Tuner in Training
    BTW Blake, you could not delete SKIM, function by any official Chrysler tools. DRBIII will not help.

I can remove skim for you and it will still work with HP Tuners Hardware

Sorry for the delay, I had a setback at the shop. I will be sending you a file by Sunday at the latest, Mark. Thanks again for helping us work through this issue!

Files sent. Thanks again for all your help, Mark!

So far so good. The tune has successfully written to the ECM. Now I will attempt to start the engine on it, once the new fuel tank arrives.

I cannot thank HP Tuners and Mark enough for working with me on this. I think we are on the forefront of seeing Hemi swaps drastically gaining in popularity!

Quote Originally Posted by Blake @ TSS View Post
    So far so good. The tune has successfully written to the ECM. Now I will attempt to start the engine on it, once the new fuel tank arrives.

I cannot thank HP Tuners and Mark enough for working with me on this. I think we are on the forefront of seeing Hemi swaps drastically gaining in popularity!
    I'm also interested in this. I do a lot of swaps in my shop but Dodge swaps aren't part of them because of skim. There are a lot of Hemi engines in junkyards and many Dodge car owners wanting to use a modern engine in their old car/truck.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

I can help shut the skim off and then you can tune with HP Tuners if you want. Pm me for more info. I can do it on anything from 2000-2012 NGC4A

I have worked on GM ECMs and PCMs for over 20 years and disabling VATS is a procedure that is accomplished quickly with 100% certainty. Now that I am working on Dodge PCMs in Jeeps, I am amazed at the rudimentary approach of trial and error with disabling SKIM. Dodge/Chrysler obviously went down a different path to reduce or eliminate vehicle theft, but if we are now 18 years down the road dealing with SKIM, I don't understand why disabling SKIM hasn't been confidently nailed down yet?

I am trying to disable SKIM on a 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK, NGC4 PCM (with the 3.8 V6 engine) that I am trying to use in a 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK with the same engine and drivetrain. Up until yesterday, I was using the latest 2.25 Beta Editor and under SYSTEM/GENERAL/SECURITY, the only two tunable parameters are "SKIM" and "SKIM Capable". With 2.25 Beta, SKIM showed "Disable", while SKIM Capable showed "Disable". I try all four permutations of changing these parameters in combination with selecting or not selecting the "SKIM Disable for retrofit" in the "Vehicle Writer". Nothing I did produced the desired results of allowing the 2010 PCM to fire up the 2008 Jeep and getting it to run.

Now I just installed the new 3.0.55 Editor and oddly enough with the new 3.0 version, SKIM shows "Disabled", while SKIM Capable shows "Enabled". While the wording is more clear and straight-forward in this new version, the correlation in "SKIM Capable" is the same, where Disable (in 2.25) = Enabled (in 3.0). However, with regard to the first parameter of "SKIM", Disable (in 2.25) does Not Equal Disabled (in 3.0). Is this an error in the new 3.0 version, whereby it should say "Enabled" or is this correcting an error with the earlier 2.25 Beta that showed "Disable"?

There appears to be ambiguity and confusion over the use of the Vehicle Writer methodology to disable SKIM with the "SKIM Disable for retrofit". If this feature was added in by the HPTuners development staff for the purpose of disabling SKIM, then why do we even need to mess with the other Security parameters? Secondly, did the new 3.0 Editor fix something in the "SKIM Disable for retrofit" function that didn't quite do all that was intended in the 2.25 Beta, or is it doing the exact same thing, because this function definitely did not work for me before.

Are we supposed to coordinate anything we do in Security and/or during the Vehicle Write procedure with "unchecking" the SES Enable of DTC U0168 in Engine Diagnostics, which is for "Lost Communications with Vehicle Security Control Module?"

Finally, I have read on this forum and others that changing the VIN of the PCM to match the Vehicle VIN will enable SKIM to function properly and allow the engine to start and run. However, this Editor has no provisions to allow changing the Dodge VIN at all. I have changed the VIN numerous times in GM ECMs/PCMs as necessary to get replacement controllers to match the vehicle identity, but why is this feature not included for working on the Dodge PCMs? Why should I go through somebody else to accomplish this, dealing with time delays, shipping and the overall extra costs involved?? I should be able to do this in the HPTuners Editor.

What is the proper methodology for disabling SKIM using the current 3.0 Editor?

Thanks for providing some clarity to this muddy subject!

Potential Tuner
    Any chance there was an update for this I have a 05 Jeep CG 4.7 i need to disable skim.

Potential Tuner
    Any news on SKIM disable? I need to disable skim in jk 2007

Tuner in Training
    i need disabe skim what i need to do ?

Quote Originally Posted by G_Force View Post
    There appears to be ambiguity and confusion over the use of the Vehicle Writer methodology to disable SKIM with the "SKIM Disable for retrofit". If this feature was added in by the HPTuners development staff for the purpose of disabling SKIM, then why do we even need to mess with the other Security parameters? Secondly, did the new 3.0 Editor fix something in the "SKIM Disable for retrofit" function that didn't quite do all that was intended in the 2.25 Beta, or is it doing the exact same thing, because this function definitely did not work for me before.

Are we supposed to coordinate anything we do in Security and/or during the Vehicle Write procedure with "unchecking" the SES Enable of DTC U0168 in Engine Diagnostics, which is for "Lost Communications with Vehicle Security Control Module?"

Finally, I have read on this forum and others that changing the VIN of the PCM to match the Vehicle VIN will enable SKIM to function properly and allow the engine to start and run. However, this Editor has no provisions to allow changing the Dodge VIN at all. I have changed the VIN numerous times in GM ECMs/PCMs as necessary to get replacement controllers to match the vehicle identity, but why is this feature not included for working on the Dodge PCMs? Why should I go through somebody else to accomplish this, dealing with time delays, shipping and the overall extra costs involved?? I should be able to do this in the HPTuners Editor.

What is the proper methodology for disabling SKIM using the current 3.0 Editor?

Thanks for providing some clarity to this muddy subject!
    Any update on this from HpT?
    I'm working on a 2013 Wrangler 3.6l trying to get the thing to crank on the engine stand.

Senior Tuner
    Can someone who can disable skim send me a PM please? Messaged a few people but haven't heard back. Have a 2011 Ram truck I need skim disabled on.

So we've never fixed the problem with HPT not being able to disable the SKIM or?
    Daily/Mud truck
    1994 Chevrolet K1500 5.3 swapped, BTR STG 4 truck cam (224/230 .553/.547 111+2), 0.030 milled 243s, NNBS intake, NV4500, 37s
    Project truck
    1992 Chevrolet C1500 single cab short box Big turbo LS, trucks are slow kk?.

Tuner in Training
    any update on that skim problem?

Tuner
    same here, Moparking has no shipping address except PO BOX to which i can't send from Europe. Is there anyone that can help me ?

best regards