Thread: Some Cummins info

Tuner

Parameter request

Just thought I'd share a bit of information that could be used as a parameter request for the Cummins 5.9 engines. A lot of the Cummins engine platform (including the '03 305hp) has several engineering parameters that may be useful to some. On the fuelling side, there is a parameter called 'Manufacturer's fuelling adjust'. This is an up or down fuelling adjustment done to engines that dyno too high or too low hp in the factory. It is generally set to 0%. There are two separate limiters, (upper and lower) to this fuel adjustment that are generally set to -3% and 3%, which can be changed. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it is only added to main PW.

On the timing side, there is a parameter called SOI increment (mostly BTDC, but on the occasion it is ATDC) There is another parameter called SOI increment enable. With the enable set to 1 (on), you can then dial in say 2 degrees BTDC which will lift your whole map by 2 deg. I'm assuming it lifts all events ie pilot, main, post.

I have added 20% fuel and 5 deg timing using this method on a Cummins QSL9 common rail quickly and easily, without having to spend a lot of time sorting through maps.

Hope this is some use.

Edit:

The correct parameter tags (for a 2003) are:

User_Override_Fueling
    Measured in mm3

User_Commanded_Fueling
    Measured in mm3

User_Commanded_Timing_Increment
    Measured in crank deg BTDC
    Last edited by muz79; 01-22-2016 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Parameter tags

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by muz79 View Post

On the timing side, there is a parameter called SOI increment (mostly BTDC, but on the occasion it is ATDC) There is another parameter called SOI increment enable. With the enable set to 1 (on), you can then dial in say 2 degrees BTDC which will lift your whole map by 2 deg. I'm assuming it lifts all events ie pilot, main, post.
    Another custom tuning software offered this on some cummins trucks as an on/off bit with a timing increment value. I believe it also would only accept a whole value no 1.1*, 1.5*, etc.. These may react the same. Also, I am new to the 03-05 ECMS but all others seem to base pilot/post off the main SOI.

Tuner
    On an '03, this timing increment can be 1.1, 1.5 etc

Tuner
    Also I feel that where you label base fuel quantity, pedal map is the transient table, and pedal map low density is the steady state Table.

Likewise in base injection timing. You label base table, which is the transient table. There is also a steady state table as well

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by muz79 View Post
    Also I feel that where you label base fuel quantity, pedal map is the transient table, and pedal map low density is the steady state Table.

Likewise in base injection timing. You label base table, which is the transient table. There is also a steady state table as well
    You should submit corrections through support since they don't monitor the forum that regularly.