Thread: 2012 Caprice 6L80 456 clutch welded 1 mile after rebuild

Potential Tuner

2012 Caprice 6L80 456 clutch welded 1 mile after rebuild

I have a 2012 Caprice ppv with 68k on the clock. has an lsa sc and made 575 rwhp. aftermarket converter was flashing at 2700 rpm. the last 2 pulls it flared to 4k rpm while locked in 4th gear. went for a ride with the tuner and the 3-4 shift would flare and hit the limiter. after many adjustments I decided to pull the unit and the 456 clutches did show some wear. installed the sonnex piston kit, alto powerpack, sk kit, welded shells, billet intermediate shaft,and pump/stater. went for a road test and shifted normally under light throttle. gave it 40-50% throttle and it pushed through 4th and landed on the limiter. I slowed down and at 5mph the back tires locked up. it acted like a trans brake in all gears but would roll when the engine was turned off. pulled it back out and 456 clutches are smoked. converter went back to the manufacturer for a cut and clean( no problems found) looking at the tune that I ran for 10k miles and what is on it now I see a lot of pressures maxed out. I know nothing about transmission tuning and don't want to blow it up again. any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    this is what I am planning to drive it on. if anyone could take a look, I would appreciate it.

Advanced Tuner
    I don't have a stock tune to compare to, and I just took a quick look, but compared to my 6L80 vette tune, I cant imagine why those oncoming presets are maxed at 1024 PSI.... that just doesn't see right. I would also put back some upshift torque management.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

looked at the tune and would recommend getting the tuning school manual for the 6l80e ,, they go thru each parameter for the trans and if you have a stall speed converter they also tell you how to adjust that ,, then give you ways to fine tune it from there ,, there are parameters they "0" out and explain what other parameters to change ,, mine had that 3-4 noticeable flare and with that tune it is not there ,, plus you can call and talk to the tech line and he will walk you thru and compare notes ,, I think you will be happy with the 100 bucks you spend and will have a good foundation on what changes you make affect what part of the trans ,,,

Advanced Tuner
    I've sorted him with some adjustments remotely all good now.

Potential Tuner
    tre-cool was a tremendous help. I've learned a bunch and can't thank you enough!!!!