Thread: Newb Questions

Potential Tuner

Newb Questions

Gents
    I've tried to follow along with this development but I still have questions. I have a mostly stock (built trans, fuel pump, air, exhaust are the only main mods) 03. I currently have an SSR and UDC. Actually the SSR tune I've got going now ain't bad but I'm sure there is always room for improvement. I think UDC is ok but I know there is much more refinement available than what it has/shows. So I am considering selling the SSR/dongle and moving to HP. Some newb basic questions:

1. What do I need to buy? If I plan on tuning my truck and my truck only is the only real investment the $499 tuner? Will I ever need more credits? How many if so?
    2. If I put the truck back to stock and confirm the VIN is correct, do I still need to get a complete reflash at the dealer? Ugh, whenever I tell my dealer that I need a reflash on the latest cal they give me a dumb look.
    3. Since we can't read the tunes out on 03's, is there a stock calibration available to start with?
    4. What other huge learning curves or challenges will I face? I feel I am a fairly competent person and enjoy this kind of stuff.

Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5point9 View Post
    Gents
    I've tried to follow along with this development but I still have questions. I have a mostly stock (built trans, fuel pump, air, exhaust are the only main mods) 03. I currently have an SSR and UDC. Actually the SSR tune I've got going now ain't bad but I'm sure there is always room for improvement. I think UDC is ok but I know there is much more refinement available than what it has/shows. So I am considering selling the SSR/dongle and moving to HP. Some newb basic questions:

1. What do I need to buy? If I plan on tuning my truck and my truck only is the only real investment the $499 tuner? Will I ever need more credits? How many if so?
    2. If I put the truck back to stock and confirm the VIN is correct, do I still need to get a complete reflash at the dealer? Ugh, whenever I tell my dealer that I need a reflash on the latest cal they give me a dumb look.
    3. Since we can't read the tunes out on 03's, is there a stock calibration available to start with?
    4. What other huge learning curves or challenges will I face? I feel I am a fairly competent person and enjoy this kind of stuff.

Thanks
    1. The $499 tuner is all you should need. It comes with enough credits to tune 4 trucks.
    2. You should not need a reflash.
    3. HPT will create a stock calibration for you to start with.
    4. You can start with the maps you created in UDC. Probably the biggest learning curve will be removing/adjusting the limiters. Just takes time with data logging, finding which limiter is in effect, removing/adjusting it, and then repeat the process.

Hope this helps,
    Paul

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    1. The $499 tuner is all you should need. It comes with enough credits to tune 4 trucks.
    2. You should not need a reflash.
    3. HPT will create a stock calibration for you to start with.
    4. You can start with the maps you created in UDC. Probably the biggest learning curve will be removing/adjusting the limiters. Just takes time with data logging, finding which limiter is in effect, removing/adjusting it, and then repeat the process.

Hope this helps,
    Paul
    To add to this. Make your best effort to actually adjust the limiters rather than just push it out of the way. IE: Disable, 0 out, max out, etc...