Thread: Jerky/touchy throttle issues

Tuner

Jerky/touchy throttle issues

As most would be aware with the 6.4, a touchy throttle is a side effect on tuned trucks. Seems the hotter the tune, the worse the throttle. Could anyone give me (and others) some tips on how to smooth this out? Is there a throttle linearization table that is missing?
    Thanks

I have not tuned a 6.4 with this software yet but with MCC most of the time if it's too touchy pull fuel out of your duration table wherever it is touchy at. H&S tunes are really bad about it because they just throw a ton of mid range fuel at their hotter tunes thus the touchy pedal with how quick the chargers light on these trucks.

Tuner
    Much appreciated, I did see that, but am always mindful to ask questions before going at it!

check out the tune I posted in the Custom tune pull thread. Duration doesn't cause the touchy throttle, it is the BASE FUEL tables. ALL these diesel tuners seem to load up the base fuel. I add moderate base and higher pulse width to spool quicker. I also add timing, but be careful with this. There is a Holy Grail MAX for every diesel engines piston bowl. 30 degrees on a Cummins, 27 to 28 on a Dmax and I haven't determined the 6.4 or 6.7's yet.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Tuner
    Thanks, good info. I'd be inclined to use a timing calculator too I think

Tuner in Training
    all these tables seem to be based on torque demand (at least one axis). so is there a table that maps pedal position to torque demand? or is that fixed and you just adjust the fueling instead?
    2008 Ford F250 Lariat

2008 Corvette Z51 M6, Kooks LT, Corsa Performance, Vararam

These are all torque based fueling. Just think of your torque as throttle position and adjust from there.

Could that be the "Torque request scaling factor" with 1 = full load torque map?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by midevil1 View Post
    check out the tune I posted in the Custom tune pull thread. Duration doesn't cause the touchy throttle, it is the BASE FUEL tables. ALL these diesel tuners seem to load up the base fuel. I add moderate base and higher pulse width to spool quicker. I also add timing, but be careful with this. There is a Holy Grail MAX for every diesel engines piston bowl. 30 degrees on a Cummins, 27 to 28 on a Dmax and I haven't determined the 6.4 or 6.7's yet.
    MidEvil1:
    Hey man. I know this is a super old thread. But this is the exact issue I am dealing with. I?m running a mini maxx with custom tuning. And the tuner (who wrote my tunes) is well known to write quality tunes. I?m also running some decent components on my engine (KDD icon heads, RCD pushrods, RCD turbos, etc). I would really like the throttle to not be so effin glitchy. I?m wondering if you can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Potential Tuner
    MidEvil1: also man, where is the custom tune pull thread. I?m totally new to these forums, and I can?t seem to find the thread through the search function.