Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 427 big cam whipple idle timing

Quote Originally Posted by 69camaro5speedefi View Post
    maf timing is great there needs to be a g/cyl command afr table
    no there doesn't. there is VE and MAF and it powers much more complicated and powerful combinations than we are talking about here.

pe is good for na from 90 kpa to 101
    I dont think you are understanding how this works..... PE is what you want it to be. Fueling is based on your MAF curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    Think about this for a second. A naturally aspirated car goes into PE without going into boost so your issue is not with needing PE and BE although that would be nice and is available in custom OS for older PCMs. What I mean is, once you are past a certain load and pedal and RPM you want PE fueling and it doesn't have to correlate with boost.

I command PE before I ever hit boost, like (80 or 90 kpa, sometimes even lower.) The MAF is what controls whether or not you are hitting your commanded fueling, Lambda 1.0 or .85 or .75, doesn't matter. As the MAF rises, so does fueling, because your MAF is modeled after the airflow going into the engine.

Use your PE criteria to properly command when you want the enrichment. Don't get so hung up on boost at low RPM, just make sure your MAF curve is correct and your PE criteria makes sense and you will be fine.

I command PE before I ever hit boost, like (80 or 90 kpa, sometimes even lower.) kool so you run the same afr if your running 80 kpa or 300
    Last edited by 69camaro5speedefi; 02-09-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I command PE before I ever hit boost, like (80 or 90 kpa, sometimes even lower.) kool so you rune the same afr if your running 80 kpa or 300
    Have you dialed in the VE?

Have you dialed in the MAF?

what would that command be 12.8 ,10.5 ,11.5 11.9 ?

Tuner in Training
    Until you do, you will keep chasing your tail. PE works on top of the 1,000s of other calculations the ECU is doing in the background.

You misunderstand how PE works in this ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
    Have you dialed in the VE?

Have you dialed in the MAF?
    I will after my LS9 MAP sensor comes in gmparts direct takes for ever damm

Tuner in Training
    what would that command be 12.8 ,10.5 ,11.5 11.9 ?
    If you are commanding a certain number and you are not getting close to it. Then the VE/MAF models are wrong.

You have to dial them in before you can command a certain number in PE. Otherwise you are just pulling the ECUs calculated number up or down some. You aren't actually commanding it. You're just kind of whispering in her ear and hoping she does it for you.

I command PE before I ever hit boost, like (80 or 90 kpa, sometimes even lower.) kool so you rune the same afr if your running 80 kpa or 300
    you have pedal, torque/load, and RPM criteria to help you dial in when your PE comes in. You can also set the Enrichment Rate to bring it in more slowly or quickly. You have all the tools you need.

Tuner in Training
    I will after my LS9 MAP sensor comes in gmparts direct takes for ever damm
    Leave it alone until you are ready to dial in the VE and MAF. If you find some crazy PE curve that manages to get you by for now, then once you retune the MAF and VE, you will have to completely redo the PE. Don't mess with anything until you are ready to do the VE and MAF.

well, technically, you should set your PE criteria and then tune your MAF and VE but definitely don't not tune your MAF and VE hoping to rely on huge fuel trims and a raped PE table to make it work. you will not like the results.

Tuner in Training
    well, technically, you should set your PE criteria and then tune your MAF and VE but definitely don't not tune your MAF and VE hoping to rely on huge fuel trims and a raped PE table to make it work. you will not like the results.
    Very true. Thank you for the clarification. In re reading my previous posts I can see where it could be taken the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
    If you are commanding a certain number and you are not getting close to it. Then the VE/MAF models are wrong.

You have to dial them in before you can command a certain number in PE. Otherwise you are just pulling the ECUs calculated number up or down some. You aren't actually commanding it. You're just kind of whispering in her ear and hoping she does it for you.
    yeah I have fixed a couple ve and maf calibrations in my day

With your ve and maf tuned perfect your raping your motor with maf that's why gm commands mid 10 afr in there zr1.
    Try it with A 8000 lbs suburban with many loads(constant) of 100 to 90 kpa ,pe all the time sure would be nice to be running 12.xx to 13.xx afr and not 10.50 afr
    but we have to run 10.50 afr because we may go into more boost 12 lbs and need it.
    All the pe ramp rates and criteria in the world will not fix that

With your ve and maf tuned perfect your raping your motor with maf that's why gm commands mid 10 afr in there zr1.
    Try it with A 8000 lbs suburban with many loads(constant) of 100 to 90 kpa ,pe all the time sure would be nice to be running 12.xx to 13.xx afr and not 10.50 afr
    but we have to run 10.50 afr because we may go into more boost 12 lbs and need it.
    All the pe ramp rates and criteria in the world will not fix that
    Lots of wrong info there...
    It just goes back to dialing in your fueling.... Command what you want to hit PE wise and then dial in the maf/GMVE

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Lots of wrong info there...
    It just goes back to dialing in your fueling.... Command what you want to hit PE wise and then dial in the maf/GMVE
    ok whats wrong ?

ok whats wrong ?
    What's wrong is we are back to you don't know what you are talking about again. Whoever taught you to tune is a hack. What's wrong? It sounds like everything.... This is your thread, right? You started it to learn how to get the car to idle? The issue might not be in the idle tab after all.

Please don't be offended, but nothing is worse than someone asking how to do something, getting plain answers, then deciding the answers are wrong, and going about his merry business.....why ask in the first place?

Have you tuned your MAF and VE tables to zero fueling error or not? Because if you haven't (in this case in the idle and adjacent areas) then no amount of Idle tab editing is going to get your car to idle right.

My car idles great, btw. Blown 416ci cammed Gen5 C7. It also has exactly perfect fueling at every load/rpm/pedal combination. All the cars I have tuned are the same..... How does your car idle again?

Listen to us or don't. Your choice. We aren't here to argue with you, we are all here to help each other.
    Last edited by Higgs Boson; 02-09-2016 at 08:53 PM.

What's wrong is we are back to you don't know what you are talking about again. Whoever taught you to tune is a hack. What's wrong? It sounds like everything.... This is your thread, right? You started it to learn how to get the car to idle? The issue might not be in the idle tab after all.

Please don't be offended, but nothing is worse than someone asking how to do something, getting plain answers, then deciding the answers are wrong, and going about his merry business.....why ask in the first place?

Have you tuned your MAF and VE tables to zero fueling error or not? Because if you haven't (in this case in the idle and adjacent areas) then no amount of Idle tab editing is going to get your car to idle right.

My car idles great, btw. Blown 416ci cammed Gen5 C7. It also has exactly perfect fueling at every load/rpm/pedal combination. All the cars I have tuned are the same..... How does your car idle again?

Listen to us or don't. Your choice. We aren't here to argue with you, we are all here to help each other.
    Looks like your here to put people down! This was my first gen 5 I have done ,I ask questions about idle because I knew these ecms where tq base,I have tuned 1000s of cars that idle great (INCLUDING THIS ONE)I have fixed many tunes from other shops all over US!
    Tuning ve and maf tables are easy you should know that! Sorry most of the stuff I have done with boost is sd it fills in that closed loop to boost very well,
    guess its worked for me with some cars running over 20 lbs of boost for 3 years on stock pistons and rods
    one was in a s10 3rd highest boost car aka truck on lsfest dyno good old 5.7 drove it in pump gas with meth
    Just did a 4.8 with 30 lbs boost stock parts
    I see how you treat people... btw nice to see you know all later

Looks like your here to put people down! This was my first gen 5 I have done ,I ask questions about idle because I knew these ecms where tq base,I have tuned 1000s of cars that idle great (INCLUDING THIS ONE)I have fixed many tunes from other shops all over US!
    Tuning ve and maf tables are easy you should know that! Sorry most of the stuff I have done with boost is sd it fills in that closed loop to boost very well,
    guess its worked for me with some cars running over 20 lbs of boost for 3 years on stock pistons and rods
    one was in a s10 3rd highest boost car aka truck on lsfest dyno good old 5.7 drove it in pump gas with meth
    Just did a 4.8 with 30 lbs boost stock parts
    I see how you treat people... btw nice to see you know all later
    sorry, but someone had to tell you. when your wounds heal come back and we can fix your car the right way. happy to help anyone who needs it and sometimes I need it, not ashamed about that.

but to come here and ask questions and argue about the answers is very immature and I am going to have to call that out.

sorry, but someone had to tell you. when your wounds heal come back and we can fix your car the right way. happy to help anyone who needs it and sometimes I need it, not ashamed about that.

but to come here and ask questions and argue about the answers is very immature and I am going to have to call that out.
    I have no wounds, I am a mature man who doesn't belittle others to make them self look big. I've been doing this for 30 years without your attacks!
    I got my questions answered

Thanks again