Thread: vss/speed signal output

Advanced Tuner

vss/speed signal output

probly not the best forum for this but you're the smartest bunch of kents i know lol.
    i do conversion looms/pcms for people, say bf pcm/motor into an ed or something...
    all of these need speed signals. if using a t5 or btr, this is simple as they still have the hall effect speed sensor which can be read by the cars speedo as well as the pcm.
    for people that want to use a zf6 or t56/tr6060 (without a vss in the output shaft housing), the options are less.
    i did find a semi solution in the hall effect sensor used by some bmw as a cam angle sensor as with a small shave they fit directly into the abs wheel speed sensor hole, but this of course means abs cant be used.

i haven't tested this yet, but was keen to see if the pcm can read the signal from a wheel speed sensor even though its a variable reluctance sensor rather then the hall effect sensor its looking for, and if it did rear this sensor, i was hoping the navi vsout (pin b36 VSOUT) is a square wave signal close to 5v at the high point. is there anything in the pcm that needs to be set for the navi VSOUT pin b36 to be active?
    would anyone happen to know anything about that output? or a similar output?
    even if the abs module was used to read a wheel speed sensor that's fed to the pcm with the signal then being output through the VSOUT.
    obviously the zf6 can read the OSS so that's a bit easier to get a VSS signal to the pcm, but seeing as the OSS is a hall effect sensor, is there anyway to access that signal rather than how its normally transmitted through canbus? if that makes sense? lol

if anyone kinda has any ideas or input in this area it would be fantastic. depending on the conversion and what bits and pieces are being used from which cars, the speed signal is required to the pcm only, or to the cars cluster only (but most need a hall effect sensor signal - a 0-5v square wave), and some require the signal both at the pcm and the cluster.

the other idea i had was to possibly use a BA ABS module using the wheel speed sensor which the abs module processes and outputs through the VSO pin 22 into the VSSOUT pin b7 at the pcm, which id hazard a guess is either the same as a square wave or at least similar enough to mimic it as its the same pin used for the normal hall effect type speed sensor. so...until i can test that with at least a multimeter, assuming that its a pulsing signal, can i used a BA ABS module on a BF or FG pcm with the VSS source set to OSS (or whatever it needs to be set to to want to read the VSSOUT pin B7 - a mates using a BF pcm with a 6spd manual tune but using a T5 and the pcm is reading the hall effect sensor at B7 fine, so i dunno what the deal is there lol).

sorry this is long and all over the place, kinda hard to put this in well explained sentances, forgive me.

Potential Tuner
    Your ramble is a bit tricky. But here goes:

For cars with no out put shaft sensor (OSS). This works every time but is a little fiddly.
    Honeywell GT101 sensor. +12 from key on, 0V from chassis gnd, sig into where the abs used to go to the pcm (B07?). Install picking up off rear diff flange. Use approx x4 M5 cap screws for teeth.
    Don't forget to use HPT and set VSS Source to OSS and check speedo settings.

I know the PCM B07 speed input will accept 0-5v or 0-12v square wave when VSS Source is set to OSS.
    Wouldn't recommend trying vari reluctor into B07 as peak peak voltage most likely too high and fry it. Unless you had a dummy ECU to test this?
    Although Dakota Digital SGI5E can be use for interface between vari reluctor abs sensor and B07 PCM.

B36 VSOUT I think doesn't generate a signal unless you have an input on B07, so this can't be used as you describe.

If the vehicle already has Hall OSS and you need to share this signal, you can just tap into the signal wire.

From memory (tested long time ago) ABS unit output that goes to B07 PCM on a stock BA/BF is not square or analog. It's odd and not easily utilized.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks for the reply mate, i have a thousand thoughts for this kinda thing and gets bit messy haha.
    the vr signal is no higher than 2v i believe. haven't got a pcm in a car to test this kinda thing atm, so thought id just suss everyone elses thoughts before i got wasting time on random ideas.

the googling i just did says that a gm hei module with 4 pins will make the abs signal more like a square wave, havent really looked into it much though tbh. will just have to get a pcm in my daily and test it!
    also in my BF PCM it accepted a speed signal from a hall effect sensor at pin7 even though it was set to TCS, so unless TCS is a square wave lol, dunno what the deal is with that.

Advanced Tuner
    incase anyone was curious the VSOUT signal is a 12v square wave signal, i'll try testing if its the same pulse frequency as the input but i'd assume so. also, the ABS signal sent from the BA ABS module to pin 7 is also a 5v square wave.