Thread: P0016 Code Diagnostics

Tuner in Training

P0016 Code Diagnostics

I have HP Tuners but I am not a tuner by any means. I use it mainly to remove basic stuff from swaps etc.

My wife's avalanche is bone stock, 2007 5.3.

It started hesitating on take off so I pulled codes.

P0016
    P0121
    P0449
    P0455

449 and 455 are irrelevant

The truck is drive by wire so I replaced the gas pedal, it was in stock at LAPS so I figured common issue. Cleared codes, wife drove it around. Says its better but still hesitates.

Pulled codes again this time only P0016 is present.

She has also complained of a rattle that I have not heard myself.

So looking up P0016 it states that it is P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A)

One of the issues it says could be a slight rattle indicating a damaged tone ring which would explain what she was referring to.

So can you use HP Tuners to pinpoint where it is failing. She is supposed to go on a trip tomorrow and she told me all about this last minute (of course).

Any help appreciated.

Tuner in Training
    good chance it needs a timing chain with that code and a rattle

Tuner in Training
    The wife kept trying to get me to hear it reverb off a building etc when we drive slow, so I asked her if it is only when moving and she said yes. If it were a timing chain wouldnt that be at any time?

I have to change the oil anyway so I am going to do that now... what i may do it reset the codes and just let it idle for a bit.... see if it comes back. and listen in the shop. It is a metal building so should echo decent in there.

I would check wiring to each sensor first, clean contacts.

More often than not it's a sensor failing. I wouldn't see the chain being the problem, doubtful that is so sloppy that it jumped time or act's like it is. Even attempt a crank relearn to sync the sensor's back up.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    its a pretty common issue for the tensioner and guide to fail. i have replaced several.
    ASE Advanced Level Master certified Tech with 20+ yrs

Tuner in Training
    Not that im arguing but wouldn't that cause hard starting etc? It seems to run fine at idle and in the upper ranges... just hesitates when you get into it...

Tuner in Training
    Replaced the camshaft sensor... that was a nightmare... took 5 hours....

Code still coming back. I guess ill check the chain and tensioner when she gets home.