Thread: Manual to auto conversion

Manual to auto conversion

Got a customer trying to go to an auto that I already tune his truck with HPTuners it's an 04.5. The trans tables are already in the tune file. Does anyone know if it will literally be plug and play or if I will have to have a dealer flash his truck to an auto OS?? But then the tunes aren't read out of these trucks and base it solely on VIN so would it not even matter?? Also the donor truck he is getting the trans from they are planning on swapping straight across. Will the currently auto truck when it goes to the manual have to be flashed? Can HPTuners software do it if needed? If this needs to be in the Transmission posts. Let me know and I can move it. Thanks in advance.

Tuner in Training Matt@HPTuners's Avatar
    Hello,

As of this time, I would suggest that visiting the dealer for an OS change would be your best route.

Thanks,

-Matt

Could I just use someone else tune file with the automatic for the same year/ecm? Like out of the repository? Just change the vin number. Either way I will have to use new credits on the new tune file is that correct?

No. The file read from the PCM is the one that must be licensed. You will waste credits licensing repository files. There is no option to change VIN.

-Matt

Gotcha. Is that an option you guys may offer in the future for conversion trucks and what not. Would be very nice for some conversions we have done EFI live with and changed Vin numbers in the ECM for certain things like other modules to communicate with each other without freaking out.

Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to discuss future development.

Thanks,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@HPTuners View Post
    Hello,

As of this time, I would suggest that visiting the dealer for an OS change would be your best route.

Thanks,

-Matt
    I don't think a dealer will be able to do this.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Stroker View Post
    Gotcha. Is that an option you guys may offer in the future for conversion trucks and what not. Would be very nice for some conversions we have done EFI live with and changed Vin numbers in the ECM for certain things like other modules to communicate with each other without freaking out.
    Given the way HPTUNERS normally operates, I imagine they will end up with the capability to do the trans swaps at some point. It will take time, use the LS 4l80e platform for example, we used to email support and send them files to get a segment swap done. Years later, they have given us the capability to do it ourself. Baby steps lol! They just got us this software to be able to tune these trucks. If you need a clean 2004.5 stock auto file, mine has been pulled and no applied custom OS.
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

Ok so the swap went good. The truck that the auto came out of was an 2003 and it didn't freak out or anything only thing is the PRNDL flashes every once in awhile then stops. Never changed the ECM and the truck never derated or anything of that nature. The other truck (04.5) we have been having issues with the manual valve body in but again same ECM and truck did not freak out or derate. I'm sure codes are all over in the auto TCM but the dash doesn't seem to care and the truck that was manual doesn't know the difference between a manual valve body trans with switches for overdrive and TCC lockup that it didn't care either. Both trucks are 800hp range running perfectly fine on HPTuner.