Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: AEM 30-0300 Wideband with direct CAN integration W/ VCMScanner. Need beta testers.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    That is a bizarre sensor failure. It must be causing some kind if timing error. Probably some intermittent contactm doing something like a spark-gap, or something.

Individual cylinder pulses can really be seen on the Analog output line. The update rate for the analog data is 2ms, vs. 10ms for CAN data. I have used this to tune Weber carbs ( individual throttle-per-cylinder ), using an oscilloscope, triggered on the #1 spark. IIRC, I was able to pick out cylinder variations up to about 2700RPM, in what was, effectively, a straight six. Or, more correctly, 2 of them MOre than good enough to tune idle and transition to the main jets

There is a way to get the WB to broadcast OBDII data, using the DPID interface. But, it requires sending a keep-alive message, every 2 seconds; and, a few initial setup calls. This is part of the whole MODE 0x2c thing.

As far as having multiple protocols, in the gauge, probably not.

The following is the result of the build for the 30-0334 code. This is on a 16K ( 16,384 byte ) CPU.
    There are 152 TOTAL bytes of code-space left. And, they are not contiguous. Not a lot is going to be added to the 30-0334 functionality, without going to a 32K CPU

* CHECKSUMS *

Symbol Checksum Memory Start End Initial #Initial
    ------ -------- ------ ----- --- ------- --------
    __checksum 0xb89d CODE 00000000 - 000037FD 0x0000 #0x0000

* END OF CROSS REFERENCE *

16 230 bytes of CODE memory (+ 2 absolute, 152 range fill )
    781 bytes of DATA memory (+ 90 absolute )
    64 bytes of XDATA memory

Errors: none
    Warnings: none
    100hz is pretty good 500hz.. that's pretty crazy. Do you know the realistic response rate of the sensor itself?

Any chance of making the "flasher" and some form of flash bin for each (AEM-Net and OBDII), public?
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Advanced Tuner
    You can see AFR changes at the full 2ms. But, they do not get all the way to the actual target value until, at least 6ms. Good enough to pick out per-cylinder variations, on a scope.

There is no good way to do the flash operation, without the test/programming fixture.

Potential Tuner
    Hi all.

I have just finished up a re-flash mod for the new AEM 30-0300 "X-Series" gauges. It swaps out the AEM CAN data format for an OBDII/PID interface that works directly with VCMScanner 3.0.

Basic features.

1. The Lambda data shows up just as if the car was equipped with it from the factory, as PID 0x24 through PID 0x2B.
    2. It has been tested with the new 3.0 release of VCMScanner at the full 100Hz ( 10ms ) polling rate.
    3. VCMScanner supports its free-air calibration controls.
    4. No voltage offset and scaling issues. No analog noise.
    5. The gauge is actually designed to produce data at 500Hz. So at the max 100Hz rate, you are getting real data.

I am looking for a couple of beta testers. If you send me your 30-0300 ( just the gauge), I will flash the mod'ed firmware onto it and send it back.

It does need to be wired into the existing OBDII port wiring. But, that's not so bad For non-CANBus cars, you will need to use an OBDII splitter cable ; since the OBDII CANBus pins will not be present in the vehicle's connector shell.

PM me, if interested in trying it out.

Need the patch for the 30-0310

The firmware update currently only works with the 30-0300 gauge. I am working on a patch for the 30-0310 inline UEGO.
    This is great that you have done this I have the 30-0310 and would like to get the patch once you have it, I think this will let the new MPVI2+ work standalone with Bluetooth as it currently will not work with analog and that would be great as I would not need the laptop anymore for tuning.
    Let me know when you get it.
    Thanks for the great effort and work you did for this.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabercrombie View Post
    This is great that you have done this I have the 30-0310 and would like to get the patch once you have it, I think this will let the new MPVI2+ work standalone with Bluetooth as it currently will not work with analog and that would be great as I would not need the laptop anymore for tuning.
    Let me know when you get it.
    Thanks for the great effort and work you did for this.

I have a 30-0310 running with dr.mike firmware and it works great for my application. I great tool!!

Tuner in Training
    Bottom line is. There is no resistor in the 30-0334 harness. So, if your setup works without a 30-0334, it should work WITH a 30-0334.
    No need to worry about where the terminating resistors are.
    OK, I was about to order the 30-0334 but this post gives me pause. On a swap vehicle (93 rx7 with 2013 LS7), i only have the ECM, no other modules. Will the 30-0334 work? Obviously I don't have the entire CAN network since i have no other modules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpat83 View Post
    OK, I was about to order the 30-0334 but this post gives me pause. On a swap vehicle (93 rx7 with 2013 LS7), i only have the ECM, no other modules. Will the 30-0334 work? Obviously I don't have the entire CAN network since i have no other modules.
    Should work just fine, I have an extra E38 on my bench with power, ground, and CanH+CanL wired to HPTuners, and this WB, and works same as being in car. No extra resistors needed.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by R Horn View Post
    I have a 30-0310 running with dr.mike firmware and it works great for my application. I great tool!!
    Is Dr. Mike still doing the firmware updates for these? I really want the OBD CAN connectivity but don’t want to add the gauge from the -0334. I use RealDash for most gauges and I’d rather add the gauge to that through OBD.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes. I can still update 30-0310s for OBDII.

My message box was full, earlier. Made some room.

-dr.mike

Tuner in Training
    Hey - what's the difference between this firmware versus the 30-0334? I don't need the gauge as have a Motec C127 dash thats using the OBDII data and some extra sensors to drive it, and if the 30-0310 can be setup to "talk OBDII can" onto the same bus that means the dash can see it, the MPIV3 can see it, and it's a nice tidy package.

Thanks for offering this!

Advanced Tuner
    It is, mostly the same firmware as the 30-0334. But. it has no user interface/display. So, if you want more than 1 wideband, you need to order them preprogrammed as #1, #2, etc.

I have a 30-2310 and I have found most the info I needed. I believe I have the analog displaying correctly in the scanner but Id like to compare it to serial before I trust it. I have found this thread on accident before realizing what your doing here. Is it possible for you to rewrite this one as well for CAN instead of serial or do change the analog to lambda for better resolution?!

Are you reprogramming with a UART device if so I haven't interfaced one in ages, Just wondering.
    Last edited by Guy With A Chevy; 08-22-2023 at 02:25 PM.

Potential Tuner
    So I currently have the AEM single AFR X=Series OBDII passthru version. My question is, is this using CAN bus? Is it possible to run dual AEM AFR gauges and record them separately in HP tuners using CAN Bus? I know this can be done with the analog inputs with the Pro-feature, but CAN BUS is the question. 2nd CAN bus question....... I'm installing a Stratomaster Blaze TC-6 gauge that has a CAN bus output. It's a 3.125" aircraft gauge that can record and display anywhere from 1 to 12 EGT or CHT probes. Is it possible to record 8 EGT temps into HP tuners via the CAN bus? I already installed all the header bungs 4 yrs ago as a safety, but didn't complete it. After a 2018 and 2023 single piston meltdown at the Texas Mile, I'm going forward with it as a safety. The programmed in MAX value can set off a normally closed ground - which I can use to kill my 250 nitrous shot while still pulling the timing and save the engine in the event of one injector (or anything high temp causing) going out. The gauge can be used as a standalone MAX value & alarming system....... but being able to datalog along side of 4 moveable AFR sensors would be priceless for the Mile Runs. If there's a better CAN Bus thread to post this in, let me know. Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Yes. I can still update 30-0310s for OBDII.

My message box was full, earlier. Made some room.

-dr.mike
    Sent you a PM. I already have the 30-0334 w/ gauge but want to add a second sensor using the 30-0310 but will need to talk OBD2 for Hptuners. Kinda suprised AEM has not offered this option for their gaugle-less sensor since its a popular request!

Tuner in Training
    Bump this thread as I'm still looking for options to flash the 30-0310. I reached out to AEM but they are unwilling to do it. If anyone is willing to unload their flashed one I have a new (unflashed) in box for trade.

AEM isn't going to flash a gauge with custom firmware written by somebody who isn't AEM. You need to talk to dr.mike.

Tuner in Training
    is it possible to do the same thing but for EGTs? i am working on tuning my Cummins powered truck and EGTs are important in that process. i run an Edge CTS3 monitor normally, but there is no way to import that data into to HP Tuners. at least that I'm aware of. so when I'm data logging, i have no info from my Edge as it is unplugged. I'm looking to add in an AEM EGT gauge since it appears to have the same data stuff as my AEM wideband that Dr.Mike flashed for HP Tuners to read that for my LS stuff. the gauge I'm looking at is the AEM X-SERIES EGT GAUGE KIT Part #30-0305.